Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Putting the offside flag up so late

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I understand the rationale of this but flippin eck it is annoying to watch. Surely if it is blatant the lino can get the flag up swifter? What is the point of them otherwise?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I understand the reasoning completely, and for VAR to be used to its most beneficial effect, then they have to do it like this - but it does throw up some horrible anomalies.

Quite often you see a team allowed to play on when 'almost certainly' offside, and then win a corner that they ought not have had.

Last night White got injured blocking a Werner shot, after the striker had been slipped in, possibly offside. On this occasion it was very tight so they'd be right not to flag, but its still an example of what can happen when an offside play is allowed to continue 'just in case'.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I understand the reasoning completely, and for VAR to be used to its most beneficial effect, then they have to do it like this - but it does throw up some horrible anomalies.

Quite often you see a team allowed to play on when 'almost certainly' offside, and then win a corner that they ought not have had.

Last night White got injured blocking a Werner shot, after the striker had been slipped in, possibly offside. On this occasion it was very tight so they'd be right not to flag, but its still an example of what can happen when an offside play is allowed to continue 'just in case'.

In your example, it's giving the benefit of the doubt to the strikers - something we've mostly wanted to happen previously. The irritation is when VAR brings it all back...

In the example I suspect the OP is referring to, it took yonks for the flag to go up. Basically, he had to wait for the player to touch the ball. Yeah, bloody annoying.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with the OP, blatent offside should be flagged immediately for the reasons HKFC states. You could actually see teams scoring from set pieces that shouldn't have been or goals being reviewed across multiple phases or offside reviews for corner decisions if it's taken to its logical extreme, all of which are a bit shit.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
What I don't understand is why isn't the free kick taken from the position where the player was offside?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

That's ridiculous, presumably also red cards and penalties could happen too, even though play should have been stopped?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's ridiculous, presumably also red cards and penalties could happen too, even though play should have been stopped?

Actually no - in the instance of a penalty, a goal, or a potential red card -then they go back and check the build up on the VAR, and if there was an offside, the subsequent outcomes would be chalked off (except violent conduct).

But if it leads to a corner or free kick - those would stand (even if there had been an earlier offside) as it would not be checked.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I have always thought that the whole offside rule is shit.

I would scrap it. - It serves no purpose. It slows the game down and causes more stopages to the game than is needed.

I think that is going too far. Often thought offside should only be given in the penalty box but that would make it a different game. Not sure we are ready for that.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Agree with the OP, blatent offside should be flagged immediately for the reasons HKFC states. You could actually see teams scoring from set pieces that shouldn't have been or goals being reviewed across multiple phases or offside reviews for corner decisions if it's taken to its logical extreme, all of which are a bit shit.

Sooner or later someone’s gonna get clattered/badly injured as play continues after a blatant offside is allowed to “play on”, especially if the player tries to avoid being offside with an outrageous dummy. I know I’d clatter him anyway!

Come on, make the linos do something and feel useful

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I would scrap it. - It serves no purpose. It slows the game down and causes more stopages to the game than is needed.

That'd divide the grass roots crowd. At Primary School I played "goal hanger" so certainly would agree with you. In my older years I was a pub centre back and I'd much rather have stepped up two yards to win a free kick than chased after a pacy youngster who already had a two yard headstart, especially with a hangover!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Lino became redundant with VAR. Now with the new rule there’s absolutely no logical reason to keep them. They actually now increase the chance of mistakes. Naturally, despite everyone else knowing this, the authorities will take another 15 years before making the change.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Never knew that. Any idea how it went? Presumably not well if it was not tried further.

They trialed this and the penalty shoot out, so on the basis that the penalty shoot out is still with us, the offside change didn't achieve too much.

From what I recall from almost 50 years ago, players like George Best just used to stay upfield just outside the oppostion penalty area. So at least there was no continued offside flag when the keeper kicked the ball upfield, which used to happen a lot at the time.

I think the idea was to get more goals scored, but overall it didn't achieve that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Personally I like midfield battles, dribbles, short passing etc so I'd keep it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here