Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More stressful?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
So is it just me or is watching the Albion more stressful now than it used to be?

I'm pretty sure when I used to sit at Withdean watching us play Rochdale etc I was fairly calm.

Last night was awful. I get proper tense watching us now.

Maybe the games mean more? Maybe the public glare makes losing worse. I dunno what it is, but I don't enjoy it very much!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
According to Sky we didn't play last night , Trossard didn't score , Chelsea conceded, Lamptey was MOM for Chelsea , and Chelsea looked like a top 4 team already , which is obvious as they won't be playing anyone else .

Dont worry , be happy , and change your name to Frank .

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
100% right. I swore far more last night that I would normally. I think part of it is because you can't physically put anything in to supporting the team you are over analysing the game instead, whereas in the stadium you get more carried away in the atmosphere and the game is somehow less noticeable and the general vibe around you holds more sway.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only time I’ve found it stressful whilst we’ve been in the PL was that run of games against Cardiff, Bournemouth and Saints at the Amex

I loved watching last night and thought we were still in the game until the unfortunate third goal. I expected nothing and just didn’t want us to be embarrassed. Of course I wanted us to get something from the game, and we should have. But, no, I didn’t find it that stressful just really disappointing, although I did enjoy the game until the third goal.

Maybe it’s because I have a small team mentality and am aware that we are probably punching above our weight but still building for the future, wherever that may be :shrug:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
According to Sky we didn't play last night , Trossard didn't score , Chelsea conceded, Lamptey was MOM for Chelsea , and Chelsea looked like a top 4 team already , which is obvious as they won't be playing anyone else .

You forgot how lucky we are to have that great Leeds player Ben White. Did you know he was outstanding for Leeds last season, that he played every minute of their season and how fantastically he did for Leeds, Leeds, Leeds. They must have told us about 20 times!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I hate watching us on TV and always find it more stressful than being at the game.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's less stressful now ... well less stressful than Hereford away was

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's a different kind of stress - knowing that our results will be scrutinised (usually by people who are ****ing idiots) more and, should the worst happen and we are relegated the implicaitons of that would be huge for the club.

Whereas years back, kicking it in the lower leagues we knew we weren't in a good place financially or in footballing terms, but we knew it could get better. Unless we go on a barnstorming run or win a cup competition, mid-lower Prem is the best it'll get.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It is more stressful . . . . although as Icy says, watching utter ****ing dross earl 2018 was the worst

I'm happier see us play well and lose.

90's was best in a way, we were pants and knew it, it didn't seem to matter as much, spring 97 aside. off pitch was another stress mountain.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So is it just me or is watching the Albion more stressful now than it used to be?

I'm pretty sure when I used to sit at Withdean watching us play Rochdale etc I was fairly calm.

Last night was awful. I get proper tense watching us now.

Maybe the games mean more? Maybe the public glare makes losing worse. I dunno what it is, but I don't enjoy it very much!

I don't/ didn't get to watch many live games but do understand how you feel.

What I do know is that I sit watching us on TV and am amazed at the quality of our one touch passing and control.
It's so much better than even a few years ago in the Championship.

Still very tense watching though!

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I guess I treat some of these games as a free hit so not stressful against top 6 but I do get nervous against the rest and especially when playing teams we need to finish above.

To be fair (ifs & buts I know), we gave Chelsea a two goal helping hand and we missed a sitter. We played better than them in spells so although we lost this game, there were plenty of positives to take forward.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
didn't find it stressful as assumed would get nothing. Got stressful once we equalised as started to believe.

More fool me

#striker

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was many a lazy sunny afternoon in the South Stand at Withdean when it was far more like being at cricket than being at football. And that was H Block :lol:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think the days of Bellotti and Archer were far worse. The club could have been liquidated - no home, no money, no playing assets. Nothing can beat April 1997 and Hereford for stress. The Gillingham years were more about depression and those God awful trips.

I think the club is as healthy now in every way as it has ever been.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The only time I’ve found it stressful whilst we’ve been in the PL was that run of games against Cardiff, Bournemouth and Saints at the Amex
:

This. We were dire and just rolled over.

Last night was stressful but not as much imo. I love watching us bcs we look like a team that could score with nice incisive attacking play and smooth passing.

Until we get to the oppo box that is but we all know about that.

Still it doesn't take off the shine of the skill level of some of our players.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Not having been back to the UK for the last 8 years and along with many other expats, I've watched pretty much all of the Albion's last decade solely on television.

For Amex regulars who aren't used to this experience, you'll get used to it soon enough although we'd all like things to be different with fans at the ground.

Watching other games with other team's supporters without the Albion-tinted spectacles helps with balance and objectivity.

You start to appreciate the whole game, other players and other teams' challenges rather than just one side.

This helps to keep Albion-related stress down. :smile:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I guess I treat some of these games as a free hit so not stressful against top 6 but I do get nervous against the rest and especially when playing teams we need to finish above.

To be fair (ifs & buts I know), we gave Chelsea a two goal helping hand and we missed a sitter. We played better than them in spells so although we lost this game, there were plenty of positives to take forward.

This could have been written for the Liverpool home game in July when we also lost after producing some super football.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The golden days of the early noughties were THE most stress free period of Albion history. Turn up, watch us thump the opposition often as much. Go home. Happy happy days. Total opposite to now when you know the result pretty much before and hope we don’t concede so we might Nick a draw. It’s the hope as they say...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here