Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone got a RING doorbell?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
One of my favourite OFAH gags that one. I often wonder, did they come up with the joke first, then name the character Knock Knock, or did the joke come as an afterthought having already named the character.

Probably character first :shrug:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
That all depends on the person answering the phone

The wife American sister and hubby stayed with us a while back and were obsessed with looking at their drive through the ring/ phone

One night he sat there and said to his wife ‘ hey there’s someone on the drive’ ( in Las Vegas!)

To late your just been robbed I told him... he was awake all night worrying.

Exactly, it's person answering rather than the Ring itself that would give the game away.

And in the scenario you mentioned, if that was me and I was genuinely concerned then I could contact a neighbour and ask them to check things out.

So it sounds like if you're a bit stupid, are overly anxious, or aren't friendly with your neighbours, then yes maybe a Ring is not for you. Otherwise it's a handy tool that can make receiving deliveries easier and add security features.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I’ve got one. It chimes every time the lady next door walks down her path. I’ve narrowed the angle but it still often catches her.
I’m useless at using my phone to answer if someone is at the door, when I’m out, (embarrassing when you’re sitting on a bus and it goes off) by the time I get my phone out and it finally ‘connects’, they’ve gone! I needed a door bell when I had a new composite front door Installed recently, so it serves it purpose.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
£170 for receiving deliveries? I hope you have a lot of deliveries?

Also it assumes that delivery drivers will abide by the protocol of ringing a doorbell and then standing next to it for more than 2 seconds before ****ing off back to their van, which is optimistic to say the least.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Also it assumes that delivery drivers will abide by the protocol of ringing a doorbell and then standing next to it for more than 2 seconds before ****ing off back to their van, which is optimistic to say the least.

Exactly! It occurs to me that we have the classic scenario of clever marketing of a product you never knew you needed!

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

Admittedly in the current environment it's not so useful as a) I'm at home all day and b) the drivers literally ring the bell (Ring or not) and run.

Pre-COVID I worked in different offices (hence not wanting to put a work address down) and had quite a lot of deliveries, it worked pretty well.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Absolute crap. I am a courier driver and I can state as fact, that if someone has one of these type doorbells, and they are not at home, I get an answer on them less than 10% of the time

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
And as we get paid per drop, the last thing we want to do is to have to come back the next day to reattempt

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It ruins a game of Knock Down Ginger.

Not if you’re wearing these.

BD7B0AF4-EE9C-49A3-99D3-A6114C97AD12.png

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
I have one. It's easy enough to set-up, but I'd recommend getting a 3rd party power adaptor for it unless you want to faff around with batteries / wire it into the fuse box like they suggest.

It connects up to My Echo show, but despite the fact my router is by the front door as is the Echo Show it invariably doesn't connect. Don't have it linked up to my phone as I can't be bothered to deal with it if I'm out

Lots of good alternatives at half the price, I had to test a few for a focus group (boring as s**t that was) Victure was one that springs to mind

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Had one for about a year got an electrician to hardwire. Got it more as a security feature (and installed cameras at rear of house). For me it’s been more useful in that I can put extra RING bells around the house so don’t miss the front door bell ring being heard. Useful to know when a delivery has been made but don’t use the talk function to interact.
Been useful in seeing when builders have arrived and left when we are not in the house!

Just to add useful linking with Amazon Echo Show to see who is at door before answering.

Last edited:

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Have got one for the door and a couple of cameras in my mother-in-law’s house to make sure she’s alright (90 years old).

Quality of picture is great and the system works fine but we rarely use it in the way the ads suggest as there is a few seconds time lag to access the app and practically all callers delivering stuff race away within seconds.

Could be very useful as protection against intruders as it detects and records motion within its field of vision, which you can modify to limit being triggered by unwanted recordings like cars driving by.

Vital to have good quality broadband and WiFi connections and plumb it into the mains power though as it really needs decent line speeds to work properly.

Can also communicate via the cameras which can be quite useful (and amusing)!

Great product in my opinion.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Absolute crap. I am a courier driver and I can state as fact, that if someone has one of these type doorbells, and they are not at home, I get an answer on them less than 10% of the time

Doesn’t that rather prove the point then!

Drop and run seems to be the norm in my experience and I can see that from the recordings. Even if I hear the bell and get to the door they’re often halfway down the drive!

I think a lot of companies now just tell their drivers to leave the package and photograph it to prove delivery due to Covid issues?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Doesn’t that rather prove the point then!

Drop and run seems to be the norm in my experience and I can see that from the recordings. Even if I hear the bell and get to the door they’re often halfway down the drive!

I think a lot of companies now just tell their drivers to leave the package and photograph it to prove delivery due to Covid issues?

Not really, some items are ok to be left safe, but the majority aren't. We are supposed to take a photo when the recipient opens the front door to prove someone was at home, otherwise all you are proving that the parcel was placed at the doorstep at that time. Could then be taken by anyone, including the driver, or the recipient could claim it was not there when they opened the door, and the driver will then be charged for the item.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In our area there's a lady who installs them, always singing. The original Ring guy moved on so now its Anitas Ward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here