Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What haven't we learnt?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I fully understand all the posts saying "what did we learn from last night?" and I recognise that as a club we are moving very much in the right direction in terms of players, infrastructure and non-playing personnel. All of that said I cannot fathom why we haven't learnt, or appear not to have, that the main thing that's being missing every season in the EPL has been our ability to find the onion bag!

Last night could very easily have been turned into a victory, or at least a point, if we'd put two chances away but more than that, if we had a striker who could create panic, move defenders to aid the wingers or attacking midfielders, just cause chaos in the box.

So many fans, pundits and opposition fans say what good football we play but you know it's coming .... no end product, nothing in the final third, we don't look threatening. We can laud, rightly so, Lamptey and hope that Lallana can get through a dozen games but shirley the quick fix, the elephant in the room is a STRIKER.

It's the missing piece in the jigsaw, it's the Ginger Rogers to our Fred Astaire, it's the ying to our yang and we need him now, not three or four games in, or worse still in January.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We equalise and always sit back for some reason, was screaming at the telly last night and then the obvious happened. GP mentioned the same after the game.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we haven't learnt how not to make avoidable stupid mistakes and we haven't learnt how to shoot ( Trossard aside)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We equalise and always sit back for some reason, was screaming at the telly last night and then the obvious happened. GP mentioned the same after the game.

The superb sky commentary team picked up on that, cliched comment #137

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

To be fair though, how many people expected James to spank that into the top corner? If it were Werner or the like then i'd totally agree...but it was their RB who had never scored before.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
To be fair though, how many people expected James to spank that into the top corner? If it were Werner or the like then i'd totally agree...but it was their RB who had never scored before.

It was more before that although we do like handing out bangers to players who hardly ever score, worst was that Cardiff player a real ffs Brighton moment.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
We have a very soft underbelly, very. We often (seem) to concede immediately after scoring and early in games too... it’s something we need to stop otherwise we’re down this season. We’re not really learning from our mistakes especially re playing out and it’s getting rather annoying watching it tbh.

I predict we’ll return to a flat back four on Sunday ... which is a pity because we are much better with the three and wingbacks but it’s the obvious reaction from GP. We’ll be cautious and deep and might just scrape a draw... we’ll look more solid though.

That said, I’d rather we went for it and retained the shape from last night, but we won’t - the tinkering itself is becoming predictable. GP needs to find a results rhythm, and fast otherwise (again) we are in trouble. The constant shape shifting and personal changing only works if the squad quality is deep enough, I’m not buying it tbh.

There are positives but they are currently out weighed by the results, especially against the bigger clubs... we’re cannon fodder.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
I fully understand all the posts saying "what did we learn from last night?" and I recognise that as a club we are moving very much in the right direction in terms of players, infrastructure and non-playing personnel. All of that said I cannot fathom why we haven't learnt, or appear not to have, that the main thing that's being missing every season in the EPL has been our ability to find the onion bag!

Last night could very easily have been turned into a victory, or at least a point, if we'd put two chances away but more than that, if we had a striker who could create panic, move defenders to aid the wingers or attacking midfielders, just cause chaos in the box.

So many fans, pundits and opposition fans say what good football we play but you know it's coming .... no end product, nothing in the final third, we don't look threatening. We can laud, rightly so, Lamptey and hope that Lallana can get through a dozen games but shirley the quick fix, the elephant in the room is a STRIKER.

It's the missing piece in the jigsaw, it's the Ginger Rogers to our Fred Astaire, it's the ying to our yang and we need him now, not three or four games in, or worse still in January.

I think Potter, Ashworth, Barber are all aware of our difficulties in scoring goals, but goalscorers, proper proven goalscorers cost an awful lot of money and their aren't a plethora of them around so at the level the club are at they will very much want to do their due diligence in making sure we get the right one(s). The pre season was truncated and we're not the only squad in the league that is undercooked in one or two positions but with a good deal of time in the transfer window we will get someone in, as take that once famously said just have a little patience. To say the club haven't learned this is completely false but knowing it and then doing something about it to put it right are two completely different things and one is much more difficult than the other.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We still need a 6 foot plus target man as an outlet, that was clear last night.

March fills the LWB role for me and is covered by Cochrane / burn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

A striker you say? Bloody hell, you're on to something there. I can't believe nobody has thought of this. Call up the club to let them know about this fabulous idea.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We haven’t learned that playing the ball across our defence without looking for where the opposition players are is ‘king suicidal.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A striker you say? Bloody hell, you're on to something there. I can't believe nobody has thought of this. Call up the club to let them know about this fabulous idea.

My god man, a striker? Someone sign this guy up for the recruitment team he’s a visionary!

Seriously. We’ve been talking about a new striker at NSC since we got to the PL. if you’re going to say that please don’t make out you’re some kind of footballing genius to realise this.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think Potter, Ashworth, Barber are all aware of our difficulties in scoring goals, but goalscorers, proper proven goalscorers cost an awful lot of money and their aren't a plethora of them around so at the level the club are at they will very much want to do their due diligence in making sure we get the right one(s). The pre season was truncated and we're not the only squad in the league that is undercooked in one or two positions but with a good deal of time in the transfer window we will get someone in, as take that once famously said just have a little patience. To say the club haven't learned this is completely false but knowing it and then doing something about it to put it right are two completely different things and one is much more difficult than the other.

We only need to fill a couple of positions so why not go large on a striker?Otherwise what’s the point of being in the PL. Imagine if we signed a decent striker and Sar from Watford we might start being a danger up top.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
We only need to fill a couple of positions so why not go large on a striker?Otherwise what’s the point of being in the PL. Imagine if we signed a decent striker and Sar from Watford we might start being a danger up top.

It's not Football Manager though is it?? If we go large on a striker, unless we are overpaying we are unlikely to be the only suitors for that player and inevitably if it's a higher quality platyer there are probably higher quality clubs we are fighting with to sign them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That we need whoever is in charge of set pieces to be replaced with someone who knows what they’re doing.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"Haven't learned"? As in, the club are "not aware" that we need goals? Really?

The phrase "easier said than done" comes to mind.

Perhaps "easier posted about on the internet than done" is more apt.

I mean what do you expect the club to do now that they have had it revealed to them that goals are required? Pop down the shops and get a 20 goal a season PL striker, all the while kicking themselves that they hadn't thought of this before?

Show me a 20 goal a season PL stiker. Then show me a 20 goal a season PL striker available for a fee within our budget. Then show me a 20 goal a season PL striker available for a fee within out budget who doesn't have more lucrative offers and will come here. I'm not saying this player doesn't exist. I'm saying securing this kind of player is like trying to score a 45 yard free kick with a wall full of Lewis Dunks infront of you and Nigel adkins in the stand behind the goal dancing like a bell-end.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Playing out from the back, through the centre, really doesn't work well for us often enough. Far too regularly its gets us in trouble and occasionally costs us goals. If the sides are not available, find a different outlet.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Not learnt that when in sight of goal, you only get one bite of the cherry in the PL so hit the damn ball immediately

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here