Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is it time to pension off Martin Tyler?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
'And it's live.....'

So so annoying. I wish they'd replace him with silence and only crowd noise.

Having said that, what he said is ambiguous. He could have been meaning to differentiate between two types of crowd trouble, i.e. non football crowd caused problems and crowd caused problems. I see now that this is what he said he meant. I guess we'll not know.

I hope he goes though as he's very irritating.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Does he think everyone at home joins in with him? I sometimes wonder if he does given the way he does it.

I say it a lot. I told my son the other day I was going for a walk.... and IT'S LIVE!

Maybe it's just me.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The 'And it's LIVE' used to be OK as I am sure he used to do it as they went to a quick ad break before the match.

But he now just appears to do it mid sentence and it really, really annoys me. 'Good point Gary welcome to the match AND IT'S LIVE .. interesting line up ...'

Seem that ever since it was including in the commentary on FIFA he has started making a bigger deal of it. Not sure if that is due to the tie in with EA, Sky or maybe I have just noticed it more.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I don't read his comments as linking Hillsborough with hooliganism, unless you are really looking for a link and to be offended (which is how it seems nowadays).

"We weren't that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan-related issues as well. It was very much a difficult time for the game generally."

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I feel as though he now talks through a whole game as apposed to commentating on it, like the annoying people in front of you at a gig talking all the way trough every song or 2 people not that interested in football at the Amex that’ll sit behind you and talk about work the whole game

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Given the way Sky are shedding white over 50's men I am surprised he's still there to be honest, but I like the familiarity of him. I can't think of an outstanding young commentator I'd like to replace him?

???

Agree, they dumped 90% of the cricket commentary team, surprised he survived.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't read his comments as linking Hillsborough with hooliganism, unless you are really looking for a link and to be offended (which is how it seems nowadays).

"We weren't that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan-related issues as well. It was very much a difficult time for the game generally."

Agreed. Listening to the clip and intonation, it’s entirely possible he was drawing a distinction between the two, as he says. But that doesn’t make a story.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Doesn't sound great, but it is clearly a slip of the tongue/ poor sentence structure.

No need for the histrionics, he has apologised and cleared up what he meant. Lets move on.

I suppose we have to let it run and endure the inevitable posts having a go at both Tyler and Liverpudlians. Until the next time.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Why would you say that? In combining Hillsborough with 'other hooligan-related issues' the comment is, by definition, linking Hillsborough with hooliganism.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Doesn't sound great, but it is clearly a slip of the tongue/ poor sentence structure.

No need for the histrionics, he has apologised and cleared up what he meant. Lets move on.

I suppose we have to let it run and endure the inevitable posts having a go at both Tyler and Liverpudlians. Until the next time.

Well exactly. The whole need to chase/create a scapegoat is quite wearing.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why would you say that? In combining Hillsborough with 'other hooligan-related issues' the comment is, by definition, linking Hillsborough with hooliganism.

Nope. He can be referring to two distinct causes. One caused by event mismanagement, the other caused by misbehaviour. The way the interviewer wrote the piece could have influenced ambiguity.

'Hillsborough (distinct) and 'other hooligan' (distinct).

If one puts a comma into the second part....

'Hillsborough and other, hooligan'.

Then it becomes apparent that the meaning is quite innocent and it doesn't take on a pejorative sense.

Now I dislike his commentary, but think he should get the benefit of the doubt.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
While he isnt even in the top ten of football comentators over the years, he is a damnerd site better than the rest we have at the moment. He is the least biased of all the sky/bt/ comentators who seem to just chat among themselves and occasionally remeber there is a match going on, and will then shout a couple of the names(if they know them)

The days of Motson, and unbiased knowledgable comentating are lonmg gone, now its all about making jokes, chit chat, ex players cheering their old teams on, comentating on almost anything other than the match,

We have players comentating on clubs they played for and they dont even try to be unbiased

Commentating is an art if done properly, can enhance a game, can be informative and incitful, sadly there are very few UK comentators who do that- the BBC ones arent bad but the rest are awful

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
While he isnt even in the top ten of football comentators over the years, he is a damnerd site better than the rest we have at the moment. He is the least biased of all the sky/bt/ comentators who seem to just chat among themselves and occasionally remeber there is a match going on, and will then shout a couple of the names(if they know them)

The days of Motson, and unbiased knowledgable comentating are lonmg gone, now its all about making jokes, chit chat, ex players cheering their old teams on, comentating on almost anything other than the match,

We have players comentating on clubs they played for and they dont even try to be unbiased

Commentating is an art if done properly, can enhance a game, can be informative and incitful, sadly there are very few UK comentators who do that- the BBC ones arent bad but the rest are awful
Much better than that boring Bower chap on channel 4 who commentates on England matches

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Leaving Sky in the summer.

Not before time imho.
Indeed. The very antithesis of John Motson enthusiasm for the game. This bloke is more interested in the celebrity side of things and cosying up to the ‘stars’ than the actual football. Football punditry is at a low point. Jimmy Hill used to take on the big names whereas Lineker and Shearer pander to them. Loads of ex pros with very little to say except for condoning cheating. The only bright spots at the moment are Carracher and Neville.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here