Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is it time to pension off Martin Tyler?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Approaching Half-Time : "You COULD say Brighton have had the better of the half?" Up flashes Attempts on Goal caption : Brighton 7 Chelsea 3.. Its almost as if he couldn't believe the evidence he was supposed to be watching and it didn't fit his pre-match notes! The comment on Kepa's eyesight was shudderingly cringe-worthy.. His repetition of last season's narrative "Potter trying to create a new way playing style" ... MOVE ON!!
Mind you, the post match "analysis" summed it all up. Carragher managed to talk more about Liverpool when answering one question, question about Lamptey quickly turned in Loftus-Cheek discussion and Trossard got no credit for the goal ("Weak shot" ) because Neville couldn't wait to get into slaughtering Kepa.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Both he and Smith mistook Connolly for Maupay on several occasions

Yes, I noticed that. No apology. Back up team presumably couldn't be bothered to whisper in their ears, thinking the Chelsea fans would not be interested.

He got one of our player's name completely wrong a couple of times too; slipped my mind now who it was but remember thinking at the time that Bobby Robson appeared to have been reincarated as a shit commentator.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Smith’s dreary and boring delivery of every word and phrase really grates on me.

Tyler is almost in Alan Partridge territory with some of the nonsense he spouts.

I’m sure he said something about one of the defenders to the effect of “... he’s one of the premier league’s smiling centre backs...”.

OK then.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Smith’s dreary and boring delivery of every word and phrase really grates on me.

Tyler is almost in Alan Partridge territory with some of the nonsense he spouts.

I’m sure he said something about one of the defenders to the effect of “... he’s one of the premier league’s smiling centre backs...”.

OK then.

Yeah that had me wincing. although not as much as when said centre-back took a fierce Lamptey shot to the knackers.
He certainly wasn't all smiles then.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When, and I hope it's soon, he announces his retirement from the game, we will all be saying how much of a loss he will be and how it is an end to an era of 'old' football commentators. He'll be replaced by either a black or female commentator who fits in with the new Sky political correctness and after a week we'll all be screaming for MT to return.
He does have that old persons habit of starting a sentence and pausing halfway through as if he's forgotten what he was talking about. I should know I do it........ one sugar please.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

OK then.

Kurt Zouma.

I noted it at the time - because he missed an absolute commentary OPEN GOAL.

(Kurt Zouma's middle name is 'HAPPY'...)

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
75, though? Perhaps it's time for him to step down and let someone younger have a go.

Given the way Sky are shedding white over 50's men I am surprised he's still there to be honest, but I like the familiarity of him. I can't think of an outstanding young commentator I'd like to replace him?

???

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Given the way Sky are shedding white over 50's men I am surprised he's still there to be honest, but I like the familiarity of him. I can't think of an outstanding young commentator I'd like to replace him?

???

In fairness you're right. Bring Barry Davis out of retirement...

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Amongst the very current Premier League protocols, the very first of them is that during the current restrictions no-one over 70 is allowed to enter a Premier League stadium.

I've had independent verification of this being applied stringently this week. Are Sky able to insist on their septuagenarian commentators being given access ?

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Amongst the very current Premier League protocols, the very first of them is that during the current restrictions no-one over 70 is allowed to enter a Premier League stadium.

I've had independent verification of this being applied stringently this week. Are Sky able to insist on their septuagenarian commentators being given access ?

Roy Hodgson?

???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With older commentators like Tyler who started off when clubs like Leeds were in their heyday the Yorkshire club are given an immediate free pass towards Premiership respectability, the sort of respect it would take the Albion a decade to earn despite Leeds having been in the Championship or worse for the last 16 years. The same would happen if Derby, Forest, Sheff Wed or Sunderland got promoted.

Upstarts like Brighton or Bournemouth are treated like a stranger appearing in your local pub.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Just alluding to the extra spot kicks from the revised handball laws.... we're not having a pandemic, were having a pen-demic. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:....and then preceded to laugh at his own joke for about 30 seconds.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With older commentators like Tyler who started off when clubs like Leeds were in their heyday the Yorkshire club are given an immediate free pass towards Premiership respectability, the sort of respect it would take the Albion a decade to earn despite Leeds having been in the Championship or worse for the last 16 years. The same would happen if Derby, Forest, Sheff Wed or Sunderland got promoted.

Upstarts like Brighton or Bournemouth are treated like a stranger appearing in your local pub.

Very true - and it always has been. 50 or 60 years ago 'upstarts' breaking into the top flight for the first time, like Palace and Southampton, were given a really hard time compared to old-time 1st. division teams coming back up after a spell in division two.
Other newbies, like Orient, Northampton and Carlisle were given even shorter shrift!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here