Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shane Duffy risks losing his place in the Ireland team...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...as he's now playing at pub football level.

Gary Breen isn't impressed by Duffy's move north of the border and feels it could have negative impact on his career.

Celtic new boy Shane Duffy has been warned he risks losing his place in the Ireland team because he’s playing in Scotland.

The defender scored on his debut for the Hoops at Ross County but former Republic of Ireland star Gary Breen has concerns over his level.

Breen - who earned 63 caps for his country - believes Duffy will get into double figures for goals this season because of who he is up against, but insists he won’t be tested at all.

And he’s sensationally claimed that not a single striker in the Scottish Premiership would get into an English Premier League team.

He told Off The Ball: “If he doesn't score double figures, I'll be amazed."​

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shane-duffy-fired-celtic-warning-22674379

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Let's be honest, it is a silly move for his international ambitions.

... but he's already achieved anything it's possible to achieve for Ireland.

So if it's more important to him to win silverware with one of his boyhood clubs, then that's fair enough really.

That all said, they'll probably still pick him for every game.

In the end its all about quality.

Henrik Larsson played a lot of years for Celtic and we sure as **** didnt bench him.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
...as he's now playing at pub football level.

Gary Breen isn't impressed by Duffy's move north of the border and feels it could have negative impact on his career.

Celtic new boy Shane Duffy has been warned he risks losing his place in the Ireland team because he’s playing in Scotland.

The defender scored on his debut for the Hoops at Ross County but former Republic of Ireland star Gary Breen has concerns over his level.

Breen - who earned 63 caps for his country - believes Duffy will get into double figures for goals this season because of who he is up against, but insists he won’t be tested at all.

And he’s sensationally claimed that not a single striker in the Scottish Premiership would get into an English Premier League team.

He told Off The Ball: “If he doesn't score double figures, I'll be amazed."​

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shane-duffy-fired-celtic-warning-22674379

[tweet]1305145753791328257[/tweet]

https://celtsarehere.com/donkey-john-mcginn-calls-out-pundit-over-celtic-comments/

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Before the Premier league took off, Celtic were good enough to reach a UEFA Cup final in 2003 beating Blackburn and Liverpool along the way. Rangers achieved the same feat in 2008

It seems to me we have have become quite arrogant since we have been pumped with loads of money.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
will be tested more at Celtic than on the bench at Brighton.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Before the Premier league took off, Celtic were good enough to reach a UEFA Cup final in 2003 beating Blackburn and Liverpool along the way. Rangers achieved the same feat in 2008

It seems to me we have have become quite arrogant since we have been pumped with loads of money.

You must be young “before the Premier League took off in 2003”.

I can assure you the PL was massive in the 90s.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Two different things which bear no relation to each other.

Shane Duffy is Ireland's best defender, probably their best player.

Shane Duffy is the best player in the MTL.

The latter isn't going to affect the former. Gary Breen is therefore talking out of his arse.

Go on Big Shane. I already miss him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah, but it took a few years before the financial gap widened.

With consistent CL play and good youth academies the difference would not have to be as big as it is, but both Rangers and Celtic decided to self-destruct (to different extent) instead.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
will be tested more at Celtic than on the bench at Brighton.

I’ll bet that Graham Potter makes them all sit there doing Soduko and algebra tests with all his fancy arsed sports psychology mumbo jumbo. That’s likely why Big Shane has fecked off to Glasgow. He’s shit at sums and ink blot tests.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’ll bet that Graham Potter makes them all sit there doing Soduko and algebra tests with all his fancy arsed sports psychology mumbo jumbo. That’s likely why Big Shane has fecked off to Glasgow. He’s shit at sums and ink blot tests.

(15.55)

Actually just a day or two before he left they had a pool & dart competition, with Potter expecting Duffy to be one of the favorites.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
With consistent CL play and good youth academies the difference would not have to be as big as it is, but both Rangers and Celtic decided to self-destruct (to different extent) instead.

Rangers self destruction was from their boardroom spending money they couldn't pay back. Celtic's disappointing results in Europe comes from a lack of competition in their league in my opinion.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rangers self destruction was from their boardroom spending money they couldn't pay back. Celtic's disappointing results in Europe comes from a lack of competition in their league in my opinion.

The reason Celtic fell was because they replaced O'Neill with Strachan. Instead of buying talented, hidden gems in Europe and Scotland, they started signing 35 year old PL players and Scottish players that had failed to make it elsewhere.

Plenty of other teams that dominate/dominated their domestic leagues also does/did well in Europe year out year in. Rosenborg did well in the CL in the 90s. Basel won the Swiss league eight years in a row quite recently and produced great results in CL/EL.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
From an Irish perspective I've said this from day one. Especially in light of how we played in the two recent nations league games, we need Duffy to have the two games of his life next month if we're going to the Euros.

His preparation for those games will have been Ross County, St Mirren, Livingstone, a Europa League side (could be quite a decent one actually), Hibs and St Johnstone.

If he'd gone to West Ham or West Brom, he'd have been preparing by playing against some of the top strikers in the world. You know with Duffy you're going to get an absolute beast physically and a 100% attitude. Just need him to be as sharp as possible.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From an Irish perspective I've said this from day one. Especially in light of how we played in the two recent nations league games, we need Duffy to have the two games of his life next month if we're going to the Euros.

His preparation for those games will have been Ross County, St Mirren, Livingstone, a Europa League side (could be quite a decent one actually), Hibs and St Johnstone.

If he'd gone to West Ham or West Brom, he'd have been preparing by playing against some of the top strikers in the world. You know with Duffy you're going to get an absolute beast physically and a 100% attitude. Just need him to be as sharp as possible.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who are you playing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here