Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Eletrical enquiry

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
I am currently replacing my driveway lamp posts and I noticed the wiring is what I would consider dubious.
634482e076f2eee04790729f0184205d.jpg

As you can see the negative appears to be made of the wire shield. It’s been like it for some 20+ years but should I be worried?
627631e3e4429f77006e1f6d0ef15f57.jpg

As regards to these wires I don’t have a fecking clue.

Over to you guys.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I see you’re in Finland???

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Those copper strands look like armour protection and been taped in blue tape ( maybe didn’t have yellow/green tubing or tape)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
What appears to be happening here is the black wire is the live.
It’s a solid core.
The outside protective armour has been used as a neutral.
It’s basically a single core cable with protection.
Needs to be ripped out.
If the new lights are 240v , you’ll need an earth getting to each lamp for a start.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not sure what a single core with earth would be used for, but certainly not for lighting. Needs changing, I used a three core from Screwfix but others available. But can you not fit solar lights instead?
NOTE if swapping cable remember to tie new to old to pull through piping.

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
What appears to be happening here is the black wire is the live.
It’s a solid core.
The outside protective armour has been used as a neutral.
It’s basically a single core cable with protection.
Needs to be ripped out.
If the new lights are 240v , you’ll need an earth getting to each lamp for a start.

That was the impression I got. The other thing is the house is about 30 odd years old. The previous owner was an electrician.

It also appears that all the sockets in the house are earthed by wiring in the negative to the earth. Seems this was a done thing back in the day.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
That was the impression I got. The other thing is the house is about 30 odd years old. The previous owner was an electrician.

It also appears that all the sockets in the house are earthed by wiring in the negative to the earth. Seems this was a done thing back in the day.

Mmmmm, I’m a qualified electrician.
The earth would only be connected to the neutral near the main incoming fuse if your house is TNS system.
Regardless of whatever has been done, you’ll need to run a 2-core & earth to all lamps.
Are they fed from a fused spur inside the house?

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Mmmmm, I’m a qualified electrician.
The earth would only be connected to the neutral near the main incoming fuse if your house is TNS system.
Regardless of whatever has been done, you’ll need to run a 2-core & earth to all lamps.
Are they fed from a fused spur inside the house?

Yep connected to one of the fuse boxes inside the house.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I recently got a quote of approx 20k-25k to rewire the house, garage and pool plus change all the fuse boxes I have in both the house and garage.

A lot of money for a 5 minute job.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I recently got a quote of approx 20k-25k to rewire the house, garage and pool plus change all the fuse boxes I have in both the house and garage.

Oo.. that seems punchy, but then i read 'Pool' and thought.. pay up you tight basterd.. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here