Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Britain 'opting out' of European Convention on Human Rights ?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Remember, this was a government that had to be shamed in to feeding children in poverty by a professional footballer. Maybe the plan is to abolish the Minimum Wage and simply to let these children starve once we have pulled out of the relevant chapters of the ECHR ?

Call Me old fashioned, I always find it preferable that parents feed their children, I know mine fed Me and My 4 siblings and we didn’t have a pot to piss in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As every day passes, I am increasingly happy that I recently managed to secure an Irish passport. Of course I'm still a Brit, but I think I'll try to keep that hidden. The UK is such an embarrassment at the moment.

Oh well - I suppose it's another nationalistic, jingoistic attempt to divert the masses from the everyday reality of life in Britain.

It used to be that Ireland was always looked down on by us, not anymore, they have far more political kudos than we do now.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
What do we need human rights for anyway? They treat people like dogs, just look at the government's response to immiserated refugees fleeing war for a better life. Can't we ship the Eatonians off to Syria and see them live without human rights?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Call Me old fashioned, I always find it preferable that parents feed their children, I know mine fed Me and My 4 siblings and we didn’t have a pot to piss in.

I'm assuming that was when a father was called a breadwinner and his wage supported the whole household ? Bit harder now on minimum wages, gig economy with extortionate housing costs. That's why so many government benefits are paid to those IN work in order to top up their wages.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm assuming that was when a father was called a breadwinner and his wage supported the whole household ? Bit harder now on minimum wages, gig economy with extortionate housing costs. That's why so many government benefits are paid to those IN work in order to top up their wages.

two parent families might help too.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

My old Man, Brighton born and bred, left the Royal Airforce in 1976 after 26 years service,we returned from Germany, all 7 of us and were told we were not worthy council housing. My mum and Dad both had two jobs apiece. We NEVER went without 3 square ones a day.
Call me a **** or G****n, call me what you like, it won’t change my views, it is the parents responsibility to provide food for their children, It’s called pride.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
From one of the 10 founding members (currently 47) to trying to get out of our obligations in just 60 years

Boris Johnson 'plans to opt out of human rights laws'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-human-rights-act-uk-europe-convention-boris-johnson-b433013.html

I have to say that the pride I had in some of the things Britain achieved is dissolving daily :down:

Interesting something relating to human rights ends up in the bear pit on here?

What we are witnessing is Britain disappearing beneath the waves.

This is no longer just about Brexit its about dismantling institutions, undermining the rule of law, compromising the judiciary and side lining questioning voices in the media whilst fragmenting our Union of nations

To be be frank I struggle daily with a sense of duty to elderly relatives and the future for my kids, at some point I may have to act and do what is best

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
From one of the 10 founding members (currently 47) to trying to get out of our obligations in just 60 years

Boris Johnson 'plans to opt out of human rights laws'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-human-rights-act-uk-europe-convention-boris-johnson-b433013.html

I have to say that the pride I had in some of the things Britain achieved is dissolving daily :down:

Where is the comment in the post including the fact that the intention is to replace the European version with our own version? It's just usual remainer scaremongering clap trap being spouted once again. It's not to abolish all human rights laws and replace them with nothing as the pointed way these types of headline grabbing and misleading styles of stories / posts attempt to lead others to believe

If we leave, why can't we have our own human rights laws that may go even further to protect people in this country than the current European laws? you know, like we had before we joined?

You don't have to be a member to have robust human rights laws as they are not mutually exclusive and nothing saying once we leave that we are no longer allowed to have something in place once we leave

The fact that a lot of British law, (which existed before the European version was compiled) was used as the framework for the EU's human rights laws suggests we have always had a high standard when it comes to this aspect of our society and that we don't have to rely on the EU to come up with and force the UK to have something like this in place

Leaving any organisation and setting up a similar organisation on your own but keeping their exact rules as your own is frankly bizarre in any other context, you'd change it, even if the contents were the same and you just renamed it and changed a few details (in this case possible removing the European court and it's authority to act on and potentially over-rule UK matters and UK Law) It doesn't mean that all human rights are gone or this convention won't be replaced with something equally as strong to protect people

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Interesting something relating to human rights ends up in the bear pit on here?

What we are witnessing is Britain disappearing beneath the waves.

This is no longer just about Brexit its about dismantling institutions, undermining the rule of law, compromising the judiciary and side lining questioning voices in the media whilst fragmenting our Union of nations

To be be frank I struggle daily with a sense of duty to elderly relatives and the future for my kids, at some point I may have to act and do what is best

I haven't seen postings on this thread that could be remotely described as 'toxic' or 'a small group of people getting angry with each other, whilst absolutely no-one will attempt to see the other side, nor change their perspective', so I don't why it ended up in the Bear Pit either.

It seems to me that any discussion involving the Government of the UK and what they are doing has for the last few months, been automatically removed from the Main Board and put into the Bear Pit or Covid subsection rather than being moderated (which I appreciate takes time and effort). Although I understand that the Covid subsection is because there are posters who don't want to read anything negative about the current pandemic.

I don't think it was always like this, but c'est la vie :shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Where is the comment in the post including the fact that the intention is to replace the European version with our own version? It's just usual remainer scaremongering clap trap being spouted once again. It's not to abolish all human rights laws and replace them with nothing as the pointed way these types of headline grabbing and misleading styles of stories / posts attempt to lead others to believe

If we leave, why can't we have our own human rights laws that may go even further to protect people in this country than the current European laws? you know, like we had before we joined?

You don't have to be a member to have robust human rights laws as they are not mutually exclusive and nothing saying once we leave that we are no longer allowed to have something in place once we leave

The fact that a lot of British law, (which existed before the European version was compiled) was used as the framework for the EU's human rights laws suggests we have always had a high standard when it comes to this aspect of our society and that we don't have to rely on the EU to come up with and force the UK to have something like this in place

Leaving any organisation and setting up a similar organisation on your own but keeping their exact rules as your own is frankly bizarre in any other context, you'd change it, even if the contents were the same and you just renamed it and changed a few details (in this case possible removing the European court and it's authority to act on and potentially over-rule UK matters and UK Law) It doesn't mean that all human rights are gone or this convention won't be replaced with something equally as strong to protect people

Nice reply. Unfortunately the ECHR which is the title of the thread and is what is being discussed, has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU, Leaving, Brexit or Remainers. (There was a clue in post #3)

But other than that, a well researched and considered post :thumbsup:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, how inconsiderate of my father to die when I was five.

thats very sad. you didnt have to read it like that. was in reference to the model of having the father as the bread winner, difficult when there isnt a father for what ever reason.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What do we need human rights for anyway? They treat people like dogs, just look at the government's response to immiserated refugees fleeing war for a better life. Can't we ship the Eatonians off to Syria and see them live without human rights?

Yet more spin, The UK and the Tories are not opposed to migration into the country and have schemes in place to assist in this process. The method and route into the country is the issue. Among other things people arriving illegally are very vulnerable to exploitation by criminals (either by demanding large sums of money to try to smuggle them in, or once here potentially as cheap / slave labour) and is why there is an effort to discourage travel to our border to try to sneak into the country and prefer to use use legal schemes based nearer to or in the country where the migrant originates from

How many refugees have been resettled to the UK?

Resettlement is the transfer of refugees from a country where they have initially sought asylum - often in the same region as their country of origin - to a third state which has agreed to admit them. It is a life-changing durable solution for refugees whose life, liberty, health, or human rights are at risk in their country of refuge, or for whom relocating to another country is their only hope of being reunited with their family.

Refugees can be resettled to the UK via the Gateway Protection Programme, the Mandate Scheme, the Vulnerable Children Resettlement Scheme (VCRS), or the Syrian Vulnerable Person’s Resettlement Scheme (VPRS).

The Vulnerable Person Resettlement Scheme (VPRS) accounted for over three-quarters (4,030) of those resettled in the UK in the year ending March 2020. Since the Ggovernment announced the expansion of the scheme on 7th September 2015, including the target of resettling an additional 20,000 refugees under the scheme by 2020, 19,768 refugees have been resettled in the UK.

In the year ending March 2020, a further 416 people were resettled under the Vulnerable Children Resettlement Scheme (VCRS).

Of those resettled under the VPRS and VCRS in this year, 168 refugees were resettled under the Community Sponsorship scheme.

Since the scheme began in July 2016, 449  refugees have been resettled by community sponsor groups.

From 2020, once the 20,000 VPRS refugees have been resettled, the UK has announced plans to resettle around 5,000 of the world’s most vulnerable refugees in the first year of operation of a  new resettlement scheme. This new scheme will consolidate VPRS, VCRS and the Gateway Protection Programme into one global scheme.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Nice reply. Unfortunately the ECHR which is the title of the thread and is what is being discussed, has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU, Leaving, Brexit or Remainers. (There was a clue in post #3)

But other than that, a well researched and considered post :thumbsup:

Except it was used as a major point by remainers for needing to stay in the EU during the Brexit campaign and posts afterwards as the deal for leaving was being negotiated (on FB, twitter, here, etc) stating that leaving placed the protection of human rights in the UK under imminent threat being removed (and no mention of their being replaced / updated is made by the same people) and that we had to remain members of the EU or secure a deal that tied us in very closely to the EU in order to force the UK to retain this protection.

Jan 30, 2008

Jan 30, 2008

Illegal migrants not wanted in the UK
Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Except it was used as a major point by remainers for needing to stay in the EU during the Brexit campaign and posts afterwards as the deal for leaving was being negotiated (on FB, twitter, here, etc) stating that leaving placed the protection of human rights in the UK under imminent threat being removed (and no mention of their being replaced / updated is made by the same people) and that we had to remain members of the EU or secure a deal that tied us in very closely to the EU in order to force the UK to retain this protection.

Well if you were told on FB, Twitter or whatever that they were related, you should have pointed out they aren't. I'm sorry, but I can't be held responsible for what you read, believed or misunderstood :shrug:

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

All well and good, if they are going to replace them with a 'new and improved' version, but let's be clear - nothing this current shower will do, will be in the interests of us all and they will wriggle out of whatever they can, as they've shown themselves to be a wholly untrustworthy, self-serving bunch of fools.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't why it ended up in the Bear Pit either.

I do, the op has a reputation for starting shitty political threads that inevitably turn toxic and are nothing more than exercises to bait the trolls.

What’s worse, trolls or those that bait them? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here