Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan article

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Good find.

Wow. Not even close to a priority for us, imo.

Personally, I think the only priority is a striker. But if we can improve any other position on the pitch with what we believe is the 'right' deal, then we should.

And I'm a big fan of Matty.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair play to Maty if he's decided that his Aussie footballing-equivalent-of-backpacking years are over. Who could blame him? All those years of flying ten thousand miles to represent his country in a home game - and the same back again - must take a heavy toll. Bloody hard enough to do it even ONCE. Wishing Maty nothing but well if he decides to go, he's been a fantastic ambassador for the club. Top bloke!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
32 million on a keeper? Is that US dollars or Australian? I am guessing Australian so about £18,000,000

Who am I to question if we have our striker and keeper priorities in the right order. :wink:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great find [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]

Undoubtedly we need to improve in this position IMO, but £32m?

Not for me, Striker and LB a much greater priority.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
32 million on a keeper? Is that US dollars or Australian? I am guessing Australian so about £18,000,000

Who am I to question if we have our striker and keeper priorities in the right order. :wink:

Dollars, Aussie dollars as well which are like monopoly money!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Maybe Ryan has expressed a desire to move on in which case the priorities seem just fine

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If we could get 15/20M for Ryan, £25/30M for Martinez would be a good swap IMO

I love Maty but I’m realistic in terms of his ability, he’s a solid keeper at this level but Martinez is an outstanding keeper, would be a level up for me.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The writer of the Australian based article has spotted that Brighton have been linked with a bid for Martinez.

From that he's written a story on Maty possibly being on his way out.
Basically pouring fuel on to the fire of a story that has only been mentioned in the Guardian.

I'm not saying it isn't happening,
I'm just saying that it provides no additional information, it just gives the story more legs.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Think he has been great for us but I see him as a lower Prem keeper. If our aspirations are for top 10 then an upgrade will be needed and I think you have to take the right players when you can if you get the opportunity.

The management will know who of the current squad are capable of becoming top 10 material and any weak positions will be filled whenever a likely candidate becomes available

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fair play to Maty if he's decided that his Aussie footballing-equivalent-of-backpacking years are over. Who could blame him? All those years of flying ten thousand miles to represent his country in a home game - and the same back again - must take a heavy toll. Bloody hard enough to do it even ONCE. Wishing Maty nothing but well if he decides to go, he's been a fantastic ambassador for the club. Top bloke!
From that article it doesn't appear that Ryan wants to leave, more like we're looking to replace him. Very surprised if this is the case - surely we have got higher priorities than another goalkeeper!

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
From that article it doesn't appear that Ryan wants to leave, more like we're looking to replace him. Very surprised if this is the case - surely we have got higher priorities than another goalkeeper!

£30m is a lot but he is a clear upgrade. We have brought in the best part of £20m in transfer frees and spent almost literary nothing so I don’t think this fee should be any reason why we couldn’t also invest in a striker.

I would also like a left back but between Burn, Bernardo, March (is we play wingbacks) and young Cochrane isn’t not like we are starting the season with nothing.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

We do have higher priorities but I'm sure the club are of the mindset that if an opportunity comes up to improve on what we have then they will grasp it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here