GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I suppose the most famous one was Arsenal and the 0-4 defeat
My memory of the game was Liam Brady completely running the show

Some might remember the 1-0 win over Palace with Spider scoring the winner

Others

Carlisle 3-0 up at half time

And for some reason I remember losing to Bradford 1-3 at the Goldstone

Doncaster at the Amex,wasn't at the game myself but remember watching Mr Bloom on TV
A fantastic day,it must have been really something to have been there

Any more?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Donny, nothing can and ever will, touch that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Albion return from their exile in Gillingham, and stuff Mansfield 6-0 including a Darren Freeman hat-trick.

That wasn't a bad day as they go.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Beating Burnley 3-1 away from home (2002/2003). It was our 1st game in the 2nd division after two consecutive title wins. The win had us feeling very optimistic.
Then we drew the next league match to Coventry and then lost the following 13. I'm not going to mention the 13th loss but no team had ever stayed up losing 13 games in a row in that division.

We went down (just).

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I remember us playing against Tranmere Rovers at the Goldstone in the old 2nd division (championship), i think it was the season after losing to Notts County in the play off final, iirc Tranmere had just been promoted to the 2nd tier for the first time in their history. We went into the game fully confident but a certain John Aldridge soon had our confidence reeling as they beat us 2-0.

Little did we know just how painful the next few years were going to be. That is assuming i have the correct season.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Micky Adams mark 2, a 2-1 win at Crewe. Adam Virgo bursting from central midfield, Nicky Forster tucking away a last minute winner. Fat Kevin McLeod looking good on the wing, new signing Colin Hawkins looking like a rock at centre back and Michel Kuipers rightfully restored as undisputed number 1 between the sticks and re-assigned the squad number having been rudely and wrongly stripped of it previously. Young Glenn Murray also starting that day with 5 foot Cox on the wing. Andrew Whing and Matt Richards at full back. What a team, what a season in store.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I’d add Man City at home in 2017, Magenta Malongo’s goal after 12 seconds away at Reading but the most memorable for me - Southend away in 2000 and the infamous “Bring on the champions” chant. Sounded so arrogant, looked so ridiculous when we lost 2-0 but proven so true when we won the title. Electric in the away end despite the performance.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Arsenal 4 nil defeat.

Huge expectation. Ground was packed solid. We got spanked hard. Lucky to get nil.

Welcome to Division One (old style) punk...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I’d add Man City at home in 2017, Magenta Malongo’s goal after 12 seconds away at Reading but the most memorable for me - Southend away in 2000 and the infamous “Bring on the champions” chant. Sounded so arrogant, looked so ridiculous when we lost 2-0 but proven so true when we won the title. Electric in the away end despite the performance.

"Didn't we have a black chap in goal in the first half?" :lolol:

Jimmy Grimble

Micky Adams mark 2, a 2-1 win at Crewe. Adam Virgo bursting from central midfield, Nicky Forster tucking away a last minute winner. Fat Kevin McLeod looking good on the wing, new signing Colin Hawkins looking like a rock at centre back and Michel Kuipers rightfully restored as undisputed number 1 between the sticks and re-assigned the squad number having been rudely and wrongly stripped of it previously. Young Glenn Murray also starting that day with 5 foot Cox on the wing. Andrew Whing and Matt Richards at full back. What a team, what a season in store.

Remember it well. I went up on a private coach as a teenager with a few friends and some older lads as the trains were bad. There was booze flowing the whole way there and back thanks to a bung to the driver. In a grotty locals pub before the game I remember it feeling a bit edgy as we clearly weren’t meant to be in there. The Forster last minute winner was brilliant, quite a few of our fans ended up celebrating on the pitch with him - someone on our coach ended up with his captain armband I think. After the game I remember naively thinking we were going up :lolol:

Also enjoyed Swindon away (under Poyet), Forest at home on a Friday night at The Amex and Watford away last year.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Missed the 1979 Arsenal game, because I was watching The Stranglers (supporting The Who) at Wembley Stadium.

Was dying to know the score, and then 3 songs in, Stranglers' vocalist Hugh Cornwell speaks his first words of their set:

"Any Brighton fans here?" A few cheers, before he deadpans: "You lost 4-0", then launches straight into their next song.

Last edited:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Missed the 1979 Arsenal game, because I was watching The Stranglers (supporting The Who) at Wembley Stadium.

Was dying to know the score, and then 3 songs into their set, Stranglers' vocalist Hugh Cornwell speaks his first words of their set:

"Any Brighton fans here?" A few cheers, before he deadpans: "You lost 4-0", then launches straight into their next song.

Remember him announcing the score at the Brighton Centre too on the Raven tour

We played Arsenal in the League Cup the same night

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here