Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Office US

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Huge fan of all things David Brent and Wernham Hogg so began watching the US equivalent with a fair degree of scepticism but am currently up to Season 7 and have to not only admit that it's better than the original, Steve Carell is a comic genius and the supporting cast are far stronger and with far more content much more developed as characters than their UK counterparts.

Well worth a binge watch IMHO.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Huge fan of all things David Brent and Wernham Hogg so began watching the US equivalent with a fair degree of scepticism but am currently up to Season 7 and have to not only admit that it's better than the original, Steve Carell is a comic genius and the supporting cast are far stronger and with far more content much more developed as characters than their UK counterparts.

Are they the same story lines, ie the love interest with the receptionist etc ?
If that is the case I fail to see the need, but could give it a whirl.
I also guess being American they would switch certain things around slightly, the office was based on a dry sense of humour with self deprecation thrown in, and not all Americans have the capacity to appreciate without getting defensive and sometimes aggressive if you try that face to face in the states.
God knows, I still have trouble with the wife and shes been here 20years now.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mrs WS loves it - it reminds her of her time at Pasante Healthcare, Lancing and how it was managed.For some reason they thought not having heating or hot water was normal :facepalm:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Are they the same story lines, ie the love interest with the receptionist etc ?
If that is the case I fail to see the need, but could give it a whirl.
I also guess being American they would switch certain things around slightly, the office was based on a dry sense of humour with self deprecation thrown in, and not all Americans have the capacity to appreciate without getting defensive and sometimes aggressive if you try that face to face in the states.
God knows, I still have trouble with the wife and shes been here 20years now.

It's the same story to start with (in fact a lot of the US pilot is a straight copy of the UK version), but as the US version goes on for many more seasons the characters are way more developed. A lot more of the background characters become involved giving it a greater depth and the story lines although taking their inspiration from the UK version go in their own arc. I'd recommend checking it out, it's one of the few times the US have taken a UK sitcom and not totally destroyed it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I watched the first couple of seasons during long-haul flights a couple of years ago. Pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Characters all have their UK equivalents, but different story lines.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
incredibly well cast and catapulted more than a few to megastardom.

People say that it lost direction after Steve Carell left but the James Spader episodes are absolutely barking. Very very funny.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I avoided it for years, how could it possibly be as good as the original.

My kids finally got to watch the US version, it’s great, I think Steve Carell is a brilliant comic actor.

My brother shares the same sentiment. I can't get him to watch it.

He lives in the UK. We have always been huge fans of The Office and Alan Partridge.

I moved to the US and watched the US Office when it was first airing.
I was curious at first and then pleasantly surprised once they found their own style and took some creative chances.

The backbone / premise is still there. The pathetic boss who wants to be popular, the mundane nature of their jobs/lives, etc.
The key characters - equivalents of Tim, Dawn, Jennifer, and even Chris Finch are all present, plus many more!

If I try to persuade people from the UK to watch it I just tell them to "treat it as its own thing."
There's not much point in comparing it. Two different cultures and styles of humour.

If you are prepared to give it a chance I suspect you will really enjoy it, because it really is excellent.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nothing beats the original - Ricky Gervais at his finest. The subtle things and the quotes will live with me forever.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
incredibly well cast and catapulted more than a few to megastardom.

People say that it lost direction after Steve Carell left but the James Spader episodes are absolutely barking. Very very funny.

Agree. It surprised me but it remained excellent after Carrel left. The writing was very strong.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Right off the bat during the first ep of season two Michael Scott is giving out awards to his workers.

One woman gets the Award for 'Bushiest Beaver'.

"That was supposed to say 'busiest."

Brilliant joke!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Its bloody awful compared to UK version!
Do you not know Eric Hitchmough is?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

My 18 year old daughter is obsessed with the US version. She definitely agrees about it being better/different than the UK version

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I loved the UK original so have deliberately not watched it. BUT I’m tempted, not least because there are so many series of it. What platform is it available on?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It is very good but still prefer the British version which is just a masterpiece

Another American one that is very good compared to the British equivalent is Veep which is a fantastic watch and I actually prefer to the also excellent The thick of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here