Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ali J as a striker?

Would you like to see Ali J tried as a striker

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With the exciting news that it looks like Ali J will be staying and COULD be used as a striker (sorry going a bit Crodo here) do you think it’s worth a try?

Yes I know I have split the no vote :wink:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If that's the plan ,I'd say not only that we shouldn't have let Glenn Murray go, but we should probably have kept Leon Best

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What uplifting poll results so far :bowdown:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I mean the club wanted to get rid of him so the confidence in him is obviously so-so. But as it looks like there are no takers... sure, convert him to a striker and give him minutes here and there, looking at his goal record over the career (even if it was in Holland), he obviously got some killer instinct.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I mean the club wanted to get rid of him so the confidence in him is obviously so-so. But as it looks like there are no takers... sure, convert him to a striker and give him minutes here and there, looking at his goal record over the career (even if it was in Holland), he obviously got some killer instinct.

You are guessing from internet posts that the club were trying to move him on, or is your relationship with PB so good now that you are ITK. :lolol:

No way anyone outside a very small tight circle have a fecking clue.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You are guessing from internet posts that the club were trying to move him on, or is your relationship with PB so good now that you are ITK. :lolol:

No way anyone outside a very small tight circle have a fecking clue.

No I'm guessing based on AZ director of football saying that Brighton offered him to them.

“I have been in contact with Brighton. In fact, the initiative came more from them. I think his perspective has diminished a lot there. We talked about it very briefly and that is not an option at the moment. ”

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Yeah, I don't see why not. Whatever few strengths he has, he always seemed to be a decent finisher. We'll sign a new striker, I'm sure, but if not (which would be an absolute disaster) I wouldn't be against a bit of potter experimentation

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
He seems prepared to take a shot when he gets a sniff of a chance and that alone sets him apart from every other player we have bar 1 (maybe 2). And his conversion rate of shots to goals must be very high.

So yeah. Let's do it.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Yes, but as said on the other Ali J thread - tell him to smash the ball whenever he sees an opening. We need someone to 'have a dig' rather than always trying to play the ball into the killer positions. The one thing that Ali J has shown is that he's capable of is hitting a sweet ball.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I voted no.

I really like him and don't think for whatever reason, be it injuries, form, managers selecting more defensively minded players (not a pop at Hughton) etc, that he's had a real chance to show his ability here. If we're to keep him, we need to play him on the right, or center-right depending on the formation. That's where he's had all his success.

We need to sign a a quality striker, not reinvent a winger who hasn't played much for us. As much as I'm desperate for him to do well for us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
what position did he play in holland the season he was the leagues top scorer?

rw

rw.jpg

Here's the goals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsgbWyTjPNI

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Are we talking as a central striker a la Maupay or Murray or on the right of a front three?

If it's the former then no, no I wouldn't particularly want to see him there. If it's the latter, sure, give him a go. It's where he played in Holland, no?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think he has goals in him, worth a go.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
He could be worth a try on the right of a three but so far he hasn't proved capable of holding down a place in the team in his favoured position with not a lot of competition so its unlikely that he will be our saviour in an unfamiliar one...

I think we would need to change formations to make it work and for that reason I think not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here