Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jahanbaksh as Striker?

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Apologies if this has already been discussed but it wouldn't surprise me if we did at least try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsgbWyTjPNI - You can see from this clip and to be fair his two goals for us so far he is actually a pretty good finisher. Furthermore, when you look at his seasons for us so far we've definitely not used him the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB52XSI5zOc This clip for example you can see him beating players but literally nobody is helping him. And he's being played on the left to cut in whereas at AZ he seemed to be more over to the right or as an interchanging forward. He also took some great pens scored goals with both feet and his head. Last season Potter just couldn't seem to work him out, obviously the Prem is a step up from the dutch league but I don't actually think he's been that bad.

I would like to see him at-least tried up top with Connolly or Maupay because I think their movement would help him a lot. He's not brilliant defensively that's why he wouldn't work as a wing back which is what we seem to be doing at the moment. However, if he got one or two in a row I think he could regain confidence and still be a brilliant player for us. I think it's a little unfair to write him off completely because undoubtedly there is a very decent player in there somewhere.

Interested to hear opinions on this.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I was shocked that Potter name checked him yesterday in relation to scoring more goals.

I thought he was for sale.

I think you are right.

He is the second best finisher in the squad now Murray has gone.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I....honestly can't think of a reason why not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Us (few) Ali J fans will bloody love it if he gets game time and proves all the “not even a footballer” NSC critics wrong. Will I gloat? Rely on it

I am delighted it looks like we are keeping him.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Definitely an option BUT not started either friendly. Maybe a backup plan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Us Ali J fans will bloody love it if he gets game time and proves all the “not even a footballer” NSC critics wrong. Will I gloat? Rely on it

"We"

I will be amazed if WE get the opportunity to gloat, but hey dreaming is allowed.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
played as a striker against WBA the other day if im not mistaken. guessing this is how he will fit into things this season.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I said on one of the other threads, Jahanbaksh played in a front 3 in Holland, so why bring him here and try and shoehorn him into different positions? We played him up front in the game against Chelsea the other week, whilst leaving Gyokeres on the bench, at present i would say he is our 3rd choice striker, so hopefully, now in his 3rd season with us, the penny has finally started to drop and we will use him the way we should have from the start.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He's been gash and not up to the level required in HIS position. No chance want to see him up there. Brings nothing to the table.

50k a week , needs selling asap for me

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Apologies if this has already been discussed but it wouldn't surprise me if we did at least try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsgbWyTjPNI - You can see from this clip and to be fair his two goals for us so far he is actually a pretty good finisher. Furthermore, when you look at his seasons for us so far we've definitely not used him the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB52XSI5zOc This clip for example you can see him beating players but literally nobody is helping him. And he's being played on the left to cut in whereas at AZ he seemed to be more over to the right or as an interchanging forward. He also took some great pens scored goals with both feet and his head. Last season Potter just couldn't seem to work him out, obviously the Prem is a step up from the dutch league but I don't actually think he's been that bad.

I would like to see him at-least tried up top with Connolly or Maupay because I think their movement would help him a lot. He's not brilliant defensively that's why he wouldn't work as a wing back which is what we seem to be doing at the moment. However, if he got one or two in a row I think he could regain confidence and still be a brilliant player for us. I think it's a little unfair to write him off completely because undoubtedly there is a very decent player in there somewhere.

Hmmm very interesting and a possibility, I wonder how many of us would be happy now if we suddenly announced we were interested in a striker who scored 21 goals in Holland the previous season. I know it's not quite like that, but he has got an eye for goal and the trickery to go with it. I would not be disappointed if that was part of the plan, my only concern would be, why did we not try that at the end of last season when we were safe, even for one game.

I like AJ and would like to see him stay, so good luck AJ

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
As most of the other strikers we've been associated with have signed for other clubs, and waiting on a possible deal for Brewster is a huge risk (given that several other clubs seem to be interested, and Liverpool don't seem to be in any hurry to loan or sell him), I think this a good suggestion.

Play Ali as a striker, and see how he performs in that role between now and January.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Yep. Makes sense.
He's a very tidy player & makes a few in our squad look clumsy, frankly

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He's Iranian
Ali's an Iranian
He's an Iranian near Whitehawk.

:ascarf:
:goal:

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think GP is more likely to focus on Trossard as the left sided striking option but I'd love to see AJ as a striker option - he's got the finishing ability.

I know many want us to splash big cash on a "proven" striker (our budget - fees and wages - doesn't get you that anyway) but I am convinced that GP doesn't believe we need one. I'm prepared to go with that and see what he can do. Keep the faith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here