Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jahanbaksh as Striker?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Why’s that?

Among his countless anonymous performances, the one that stands out for me was against Arsenal away just before Hughton got sacked. Ali was taken off at half time after a shockingly bad display. The rest of the team was playing well but he just couldn't cope with the pace or physicality. Nice guy, capable of the odd cracker but not up to it. There's no conspiracy, there's no behind closed doors mystery, he's just not good enough.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Among his countless anonymous performances, the one that stands out for me was against Arsenal away just before Hughton got sacked. Ali was taken off at half time after a shockingly bad display. The rest of the team was playing well but he just couldn't cope with the pace or physicality. Nice guy, capable of the odd cracker but not up to it. There's no conspiracy, there's no behind closed doors mystery, he's just not good enough.

I dont think anyone has suggested a conspiracy, just a degree of interest as to why he has not had more game time and the idea he might come good under GP just as others (e.g. Bissouma) have. Its harsh to say "countless anonymous performances" since clearly he has not played "countless matches. " He can clearly shoot and I contend cross a ball 2 things we are badly in need of. If you aare right and GP thinks he is not good enough then we should let him go elsewhere. I would be sad but understand that.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I dont think anyone has suggested a conspiracy, just a degree of interest as to why he has not had more game time and the idea he might come good under GP just as others (e.g. Bissouma) have. Its harsh to say "countless anonymous performances" since clearly he has not played "countless matches. " He can clearly shoot and I contend cross a ball 2 things we are badly in need of. If you aare right and GP thinks he is not good enough then we should let him go elsewhere. I would be sad but understand that.

He doesn’t have The physicality, pace or skill that Bissouma has. It’s the same really for McCallister. Why people think they’re gonna be a threat in the PL after ‘settling in’ is beyond me. Izquierdo didnt have any time to settle in in his first season but made an impact because he had an attribute. PACE.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He doesn’t have The physicality, pace or skill that Bissouma has. It’s the same really for McCallister. Why people think they’re gonna be a threat in the PL after ‘settling in’ is beyond me. Izquierdo didnt have any time to settle in in his first season but made an impact because he had an attribute. PACE.

That isn’t the “Brighton way“ and you’d do well to pipe down. Everyone knows a) you have to get fit first b) half a season to adjust to PL football c) do a stint in development d) go out on loan e) have at least a full season before taking responsibility for a shot. Slowly slowly...you can’t rush these things.

What is this instant impact you’re talking about? Have you seen it elsewhere?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I'm not Alireza's biggest fan, but in his defence Hughton just didn't use him very well and destroyed his confidence.

Here are his heat maps for the last 5 seasons. You can see how Hughton misused him and how Potter has perhaps tried to use him more as AZ Alkmar did.

2015/16 AZ
20200913_114803.jpg
3 goals 5 assists in 1673 minutes

2016/17 AZ
20200913_115121.jpg
10 goals 8 assists in 2277 minutes

2017/18 AZ
20200913_115038.jpg
21 goals 12 assists in 2840 minutes

2018/19 BHA
20200913_114909.jpg
0 goals 0 assists in 1022 minutes

2019/20 BHA
20200913_115005.jpg
2 goals 0 assists in 308 minutes

If we could get him back to his best he might be amazing, but I fear that one great season, 2017/18 was an outlier.

EastWarren

Jan 24, 2015
Brighton
A perfect assist for MacAllister's lethal header, and a world-class strike for a goal of his own, deserved Man of the Match. Yes, League 2 opposition but I felt he put himself forward (literally) as a candidate for a more attacking role and first team choice last night.

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A perfect assist for MacAllister's lethal header, and a world-class strike for a goal of his own, deserved Man of the Match. Yes, League 2 opposition but I felt he put himself forward (literally) as a candidate for a more attacking role and first team choice last night.

Definitely.

Glad to hear Pompey suffered another relegation too :wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Wasn't just the strike for his goal - watch his role in the build-up.......

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He played is preferred role as an inside right last night, and excelled. Perfect timing, and as we've discussed, perhaps playing as part of a front 3 with Maupay an Trossard isn't such a bad idea . . . Play 5 - 2- 3 ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He played is preferred role as an inside right last night, and excelled. Perfect timing, and as we've discussed, perhaps playing as part of a front 3 with Maupay an Trossard isn't such a bad idea . . . Play 5 - 2- 3 ?

I think we will be playing with an attacking 3 for most of this season.

The first choice will be Trossard/Maupay/Lallana.
Ali J will be back up for Trossard, Connolly for Maupay and Gross or McAllister for Lallana.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Would like to see it given a trial. Only concern would be the lack of experience in the middle having so much responsibility on them assuming we play the same 2 we did against Chelsea.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think we will be playing with an attacking 3 for most of this season.

The first choice will be Trossard/Maupay/Lallana.
Ali J will be back up for Trossard, Connolly for Maupay and Gross or McAllister for Lallana.

To be fair, those are pretty decent options. Just need a target man style striker for when we want to go a bit more direct.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
A front 3 of Trossard, Maupay and Jahanbaksh if they gel together could be quite dangerous, but we do need a target man option and I would also like to see another forward option with a bit of pace that we could bring on if we're chasing a game. If only Izquierdo wasn't broken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here