Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Macclesfield Town FC. The end ?

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Seeing as the long time owner has lead it to this,it could well be the end of a club formed in 1874 and for the record the ground is council owned..:rant: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54088646

I truly wish them well, and I'm not trivialising their real struggles, but at least if, Lord forbid, the worse happens, It would save you starting yet another new Macc Town thread every few months! There must be a good few now?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Seeing as the long time owner has lead it to this,it could well be the end of a club formed in 1874 and for the record the ground is council owned..:rant: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54088646

Mate. Go Crowdfunding. You head over to the nearest Macclesfield fan forum and you say: "Guys. Lets buy it".

You contact the media about your crowdfunding project. You go to Reddit Soccer and write about it.

Suddenly you have 2000 Macclesfield fans all donating £10 to the project. 100 000 random football fans who thinks its cool and groovy and hip also donate £5. A third of them even donate £10.

You now have about £700k, and the wealthiest man in Macclesfield says: this is cool. Good PR. Here's 500k.

Macclesfield Town FC is yours. You are the owner/chairman. A new beginning.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mate. Go Crowdfunding. You head over to the nearest Macclesfield fan forum and you say: "Guys. Lets buy it".

You contact the media about your crowdfunding project. You go to Reddit Soccer and write about it.

Suddenly you have 2000 Macclesfield fans all donating £10 to the project. 100 000 random football fans who thinks its cool and groovy and hip also donate £5. A third of them even donate £10.

You now have about £700k, and the wealthiest man in Macclesfield says: this is cool. Good PR. Here's 500k.

:bowdown:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

And when you wake up, you realise you haven’t got a penny to pay any of the significant outgoings and you’re back to square one; but it’s you now that now owes these fresh debts that are growing daily.

It’s become you and the club both facing bankruptcy. :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And when you wake up, you realise you haven’t got a penny to pay any of the significant outgoings and you’re back to square one; but it’s you now that now owes these fresh debts that are growing daily.

And surely that would be very exciting? Working 24/7 to make it happen. Find every possible investor in the area, sell them the vision. Look for unusual ways to make money. Something special, something out of the ordinary.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
And surely that would be very exciting? Working 24/7 to make it happen. Find every possible investor in the area, sell them the vision. Look for unusual ways to make money. Something special, something out of the ordinary.

He’s not going to buy 200 old pizza boxes, no matter how hard you try. :wink:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Your not called Mr Putdown for nothing are you.....

:lolol:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

I guess you’ve never been to Macclesfield then. :nono:

Don’t get me wrong, I love your alternative suggestion to use new alternative ways to find the money to save Macclesfield, its just that the purchase price is only part of the funding you’d need from day one.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I guess you’ve never been to Macclesfield then. :nono:

Don’t get me wrong, I love your alternative suggestion to use new alternative ways to find the money to save Macclesfield, its just that the purchase price is only part of the funding you’d need from day one.

Of course. Would also need to raise money to keep it all floating for a while. The "normal" turnover for a non-rich club going 0 profit and 0 deficit the National League is around £1.8m (obviously varies but based on a few clubs I looked up). Finding the money is obviously difficult but it just cant be impossible if you take another route than most of the clubs all looking into the same money bag.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Of course. Would also need to raise money to keep it all floating for a while. The "normal" turnover for a non-rich club going 0 profit and 0 deficit the National League is around £1.8m (obviously varies but based on a few clubs I looked up). Finding the money is obviously difficult but it just cant be impossible if you take another route than most of the clubs all looking into the same money bag.

In the example you gave, approaching £600k of the total raised was from “100 000 random football fans who thinks its cool and groovy and hip” and I think that you might be right, that sort of money could be raised. But be realistic, they aren’t going to continue to fund the club, they’ll be on FB telling the world they have donated to the next fashionable cause.

With the vast majority of your initial founders uninterested in any further investment you’ve still got to find £35k every week from day one.

With nobody attending games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the example you gave, approaching £600k of the total raised was from “100 000 random football fans who thinks its cool and groovy and hip” and I think that you might be right, that sort of money could be raised. But be realistic, they aren’t going to continue to fund the club, they’ll be on FB telling the world they have donated to the next fashionable cause.

With the vast majority of your initial founders uninterested in any further investment you’ve still got to find £35k every week from day one.

With nobody attending games.

In the initial crowdfunding stage you can also add that any additional money recieved will be used to keep the club fleeting. Obviously there is a limit to how much it would be possible to raise - but if you can raise enough to buy the club then realistically (perhaps with air quotes) you could also get the money to run the club for a month or two.

But not only have you raised money - you have also attracted followers. Lets say that 50 000 or so dont lose interest immediatly, and that a further 50 000 or so that didnt donate would be interested in follow how the club develops from this point, you have a very nice "fan base" to start with.

The key would be to keep as many of these as possible interested. Today "Silkmen TV" got 1300 followers on Youtube. Now lets start a daily video diary on how to run a football club: a unique and transparent insight to what is going on. Plenty of nerds would tune in, people have showed that they are obsessed with this kind of shit. I promise there would be 50k followers within a week - nice PR, nice advertising money.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Forget crowdfunding. Just get the ******** out the run the game at the lower level to start with.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
In the initial crowdfunding stage you can also add that any additional money recieved will be used to keep the club fleeting. Obviously there is a limit to how much it would be possible to raise - but if you can raise enough to buy the club then realistically (perhaps with air quotes) you could also get the money to run the club for a month or two.

But not only have you raised money - you have also attracted followers. Lets say that 50 000 or so dont lose interest immediatly, and that a further 50 000 or so that didnt donate would be interested in follow how the club develops from this point, you have a very nice "fan base" to start with.

The key would be to keep as many of these as possible interested. Today "Silkmen TV" got 1300 followers on Youtube. Now lets start a daily video diary on how to run a football club: a unique and transparent insight to what is going on. Plenty of nerds would tune in, people have showed that they are obsessed with this kind of shit. I promise there would be 50k followers within a week - nice PR, nice advertising money.

Ooh, I think you've got something there. Maybe persuade one of the big TV companies to do a "Sunderland til I die" type fly on the wall documentary to generate income. "Macclesfield - From the Brink". It would be sure to fascinate the football nerds.

Are you the man for the job? This could be the making of you.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Macclesfield Town Football Club has been wound up in the High Court over debts totalling more than £500,000.

Southend also in court today.

Could lose a few clubs this season if fans aren't back soon.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
23 teams in the Conference or will they restructure the leagues down there with still over a month until the season starts

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Macclesfield Town Football Club has been wound up in the High Court over debts totalling more than £500,000.

Southend also in court today.

Could lose a few clubs this season if fans aren't back soon.

Incredibly sad. I'll never forget the sick to the stomach feeling I had when I seriously thought I'd lose my club. Now another set of fans have.

You're right that more dominos will fall in the coming weeks and months. Many of the lower league clubs were debt ridden and barely viable before the Covid crisis. Personally I think we could lose around half of the football league

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here