Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Alan Minter

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Sad news for his family but, he was apparently a nasty piece of work. When I lived in crawley many lifetimes ago it seemed everyone had an Alan Minter story and they rarely caste him in a good light.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sad news for his family but, he was apparently a nasty piece of work. When I lived in crawley many lifetimes ago it seemed everyone had an Alan Minter story and they rarely caste him in a good light.

My dear old Dad was his probation officer back in the 1960's.

I remember him getting introduced to the crowd in October 1980 vs Notts Forest, from memory Wardie's last home game, interviewed by Tony Millard he mentioned both the fact that he wanted a rematch with Marvin Hagler and that he actually supported Palace as a lad in Crawley.

The first statement was laughable the second ill judged...…….

D

Deleted member 2719

Sad news for fans of Boxing too, he had many a titanic performance, and first got me really into wanting to watch Boxing.

The rest of what you say is irrelevant unless his name was Savile or of the same ilk.

RIP

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Brings back memories of Sportsnight from my youth.

Saw him jogging once near Crawley. And he was mentioned in a Fall song.

Sad news.

And a Commodore 64 game. Sort of how I remember him, that and for Sportsnight

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I think an Italian boxer he beat died after the bout

They say he was never the same after that

Obviously Marvellous was a bridge too far

Did his family have something to do with the Linden Club in Brighton?

Last edited:

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Sad news indeed.

I remember the open bus tour around the town centre when he won the world championship.

He also used to own a restaurant on the High Street.

Minter and Daley Thompson were the big Crawley sports stars back in the 80's

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I think an Italian boxer he beat died after the bout

They say he was never the same after that

Obviously Marvellous was a bridge too far

Did his family have something to do with the Linden Club in Brighton?
Yea Sid his dad had it

sweetmods

Jan 31, 2004
Shoreham Beach
My dear old Dad was his probation officer back in the 1960's.

I remember him getting introduced to the crowd in October 1980 vs Notts Forest, from memory Wardie's last home game, interviewed by Tony Millard he mentioned both the fact that he wanted a rematch with Marvin Hagler and that he actually supported Palace as a lad in Crawley.

The first statement was laughable the second ill judged...…….

I have got the programme from that match signed by Minter and both teams - as a 9 year old it was my pride and joy. In fact, it is still the best set of autographs I possess - that Forest Team had some big names.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
That's sad news .

I liked Boom Boom as a boxer. Did not know him personally so cannot comment on that.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley

I dont like to talk ill of the recently departed BUT always in the pubs in Reigate and occassionally Redhill always s###faced and looking for a fight

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I dont like to talk ill of the recently departed BUT always in the pubs in Reigate and occassionally Redhill always s###faced and looking for a fight

I've lived in Reigate and Redhill for 15 years and I haven't seen him once. I have to make do with sightings of Joey Benjamin, who seems to spend his life in Corals.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sad news indeed.

I remember the open bus tour around the town centre when he won the world championship.

He also used to own a restaurant on the High Street.

Minter and Daley Thompson were the big Crawley sports stars back in the 80's

Restaurant was his dads, who really was a nasty piece.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I've lived in Reigate and Redhill for 15 years and I haven't seen him once. I have to make do with sightings of Joey Benjamin, who seems to spend his life in Corals.

surprised by that he was regulary barred from red cross,market and even the bell but never for long, would sometimes have a couple of "do as ya likies" in toe), there is also Melvyn Hayes (it aint half hot mum) he used to shop in Safeway not sure if doesnt now its morrisons though

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, used to see him in Reigate every weekend in my early drinking days in the 90’s.

The Market was a favourite of his. Never found him too much trouble but a few of his hangers on were pretty unsavoury.

I recall a night in The Panther and him regaling is with tales of buying sports cars with Mike Tyson.
He then fell off his stool and offered the landlord out.

He liked a drink. Frankly I’m surprised he made it this far.

Great boxer though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here