Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] DIY challenge

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What is the most elegant solution for removing this immovable object?
d2f9d8811f4a9ff1d9a9cdbb20d67f7e.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
WD40 for the flat head screw on the wood applied over a few days (if you have that time). Should budge the flat head. Can't see what's behind the top part so assuming that it's a flat head screw as well.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
correct answer, thread closed

no workshop/garage is complete without an angle grinder . . . . I tought my lad to handle one when he was 10.

Edit . . . .theyre dirt cheap now and fine for occaisional jobs.

How would I use it in this case? Chop off spring and the screwed in plate will still be there?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
WD40 for the flat head screw on the wood applied over a few days (if you have that time). Should budge the flat head. Can't see what's behind the top part so assuming that it's a flat head screw as well.

They’re so rusty though the groove on the flat head has already spread/disintegrated...

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Looks good but don’t have.

Same answer to nitroglycerin...[emoji23]

Basic tools only at the moment.

Have you got something to snip through the spring to get that out of the way? Then something to grip or prise under the bracket to work it loose & then get a hacksaw at the screw?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
How would I use it in this case? Chop off spring and the screwed in plate will still be there?

Just take the top off of the screw.

Make sure you wear shorts and pretend that you're being brave (even though the sparks won't hurt)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Have you got something to snip through the spring to get that out of the way? Then something to grip or prise under the bracket to work it loose & then get a hacksaw at the screw?

Spring metal is thick.
Bracket is really tight into the wood.

I do have a junior hacksaw...

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
They’re so rusty though the groove on the flat head has already spread/disintegrated...

If they're that rusty, can you knock the head off using a hammer & an old (large) flat head screwdriver?

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If they're that rusty, can you knock the head off using a hammer & an old (large) flat head screwdriver?

sharpen the tip if you haven'y got a cold chisel, just to guarantee a proper bleeding gash if you slip :rolleyes:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Alternate suggestion - take the gate off its hinges and pull it really hard. Let's see what happens (at the very worst, film it and you'll get £250 from You've Been Framed)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just go wild with the hammer. Hit the thing over and over again and if it doesnt work, hit the brick and wooden things it is attached to. It wont be pretty but "pretty" is very overrated and useless.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Could try drilling the screw out if your toolkit goes that far.

I have heard of “drilling a screw out” but never really understood it...

Do you literally just apply your drill forcefully in the hope of obliterating the stuck screw?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here