Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

University teaching plan for 2021, the latest from one of London's 'big 3'

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Those of you with kids at uni may be interested to know what is being planned at one of London's big 3 universities right now. We are being asked to record all our lectures for the second semester (beginning in Jan 2021) as we have started doing for semester 1 (which begins in a couple of weeks).

This means my college has already resigned itself to distance learning. We have to plan in advance since the logistics are very complicated, with tens of thousands of students, rooms to book and timetables to make, and if thousands of lectures need to be recorded this has to be done well in advance. I started recording lectures for the first semester more than a month ago (and it is a spectacular pain in the arse, taking many hours to make a 1h lecture). The system tends to crash, too.

The plan is not yet public as the committee that made the decision met only on Tuesday (one of my pals sits on it).

I have asked about other forms of teaching and assessment, such as laboratory practicals, and have been told that a decision has not yet been made. Clearly we can't cram hundreds of students into lecture theatres and maintain social distancing, but there is an aspiration to attempt to run practicals with social distancing as part of a 'blended approach' which means run as many labs as you can and do the rest by video. My expectation is this will soon be abandoned as a plan. Logistically it will be a nightmare. It will mean a change to course content (for example a course I run boasts 'hands on laboratory experience with data generation and analysis in a research environment', and there is no way I can deliver this, or even make an ersatz version, any more than you can replace lessons in the arts of love with a tub of vaseline and an old copy of Fiesta).

Bottom line is that other universities will be having the same conversation:
  • When do we have to decide whether we can resume normal teaching in Jan 2021? Er, in the next week or so.
  • What are our options? Well, we can't say we are going back to normal it if there is any chance we can't, because after the next week or so will have no time to set up an alternative means of delivering teaching and assessment, so we must make up our minds in the next week or so.
  • How confident are we that we will have a vaccine in time for Jan 2021? Not confident at all.
  • **** it. Distance learning it is, then.
  • What about small group teaching, can't we still do that? Erm, let's look into it....the union probably won't like it....or the older staff.

I hope those of you who were able to take my advice and get your kid to do a gap year this year did so. I am truly sorry for those of you who have had to pay for expensive accomdation long in advance with not possibility of a refund.

The students I teach have been extremely accomodating and phlegmatic. Maybe this will continue. However with the government flapping and changing its guidance every few weeks . . . . boy, we need that vaccine.

Covid may now be killing hardly anyone, and may have mutated to a less lethal variant. Why is there apparently no research to test this possibility? Without governmental leadership, guidance and clarity we will be stuck with bodies like my employers making the decisions, and they have no option other than to act conservatively, protecting staff and students from incubating the next wave of the pandemic.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Students will do well to get a handle on remote learning, given that's how they will be working when they graduate. Also, deferring cannot be an option for most as the numbers coming into unis next year will be unmanageable and the experience could actually be worse for them in 2021 at Level 4 than going this year.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Covid may now be killing hardly anyone, and may have mutated to a less lethal variant. Why is there apparently no research to test this possibility?

This is the key isn't it.

We seem to still be operating on the basis that left unchecked Covid-19 would result in 100s of thousands dead and a generally crippled health service. However, I'm not sure if this is actually a reasonable expectation now, as it was in March.

I haven't really seen/read anything since then, other than speculation, that it's less of an issue than first thought, let alone any quantifiable analysis. Surely someone has been analysing the virus and has got a reasonable level of confidence regarding the likely outcomes?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Students will do well to get a handle on remote learning, given that's how they will be working when they graduate. Also, deferring cannot be an option for most as the numbers coming into unis next year will be unmanageable and the experience could actually be worse for them in 2021 at Level 4 than going this year.

Good point about the glut. Where I work the 'leadership' will allow a glut and will simply tell us to find ways of getting on with it. Some colleagues will certainly justify their existence by saying 'yes sir' and coming up with eye-watering plans. Indeed this is happening already, to deal with the shit I mentioned earlier.

Unrelated to Covid, already this year we actually upped first year entrants from 450 to 600 (to monetise, via fees, our reputation and cachet as a top 5 in the UK, top 20 in the world university) and staff were told to find an 'overspill room' where the extra students can watch the lectures on a screen. For lectures, though, online is close to acceptable now, even to me. I just spent a few hours recording lectures and am getting into the swing of it.

Practicals, though....One colleague had to repeat the same first year lab practical more than 20 times last year so that all students could attend. That's a bit like being asked to sing along to, and conduct a singalong with a class of 30 students to all eight Showaddywaddy albums on 20 successive occasions. This is just a small part of a working week, with strong pressure to get research funds and publish papers too. This colleague has now left the department, and nobody seems to know why (or will say why). I emailed her but got no reply. Having chatted to her last year it looks like stress.

Anyway, we don't do 'real work' do we, so, shouldn't grumble. I'm being only partly facetious - I would imagine the chaos in actual schools is going to be numerically more impactful, and staff will be much more vulnerable to pressure, even bullying. And just think of the sad faces of the kiddies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here