Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southgate Out.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Firstly he did okay at the world cup, not amazing just okay we lost 3 matches in that tournament and won 4 against opposition Peterborough United would probably do well against. He brought a decent style of football and mixed it about a bit with the player selections that's all he did.

Since then.. he has said he will pick players based on form which proved to be bullshit, the team have became more predictable and less exciting to watch, seems to be stuck too far up his own arse to see where he's going wrong.

Lets just take a look at some of the players available to him.

Forwards - Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling, Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood, Danny Ings, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Callum Wislon, Dominic Calvert Lewin, Jamie Vardy, Michail Antonio, Eddie Nketiah, Tammy Abraham to name a few..

Midfielders - Jack Grealish, James Maddison, Jordan Henderson, Declan Rice, Dele Alli, Phil Foden, James Ward Prowse, Ross Barkley, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain

Defenders - Harry Maguire, Trent Alexander Arnold, Ben Chillwell, Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, John Stones, James Tarkowski, Ben Mee, Chris Smalling, Connor Coady, Luke Shaw, Aaron Wan Bissaka, Ryan Sessegnog, Reece James, Tariq Lamptey, Joe Bryan, Ben White, Jamal Lascelles, Ben Godfrey, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Jack O'connell, Mason Holegate.

I accept that the majority of these are far from world class players and even the majority of these can be considered not good enough however the pool to pick from has arguably never been so good so why does he get it so badly wrong. Look at the likes of France, Belgium ect.. We should be at that level and would be at that level with a manager who knows what he's doing.. Also, I know you can only pick 23 players but if you asked any English football fan to select a squad and they would come up with a far more exciting and dare I say talented group than Southgate consistently selects. I mean 3 defensive midfielders and five at the back last night against Denmark? Really.

Anyone in football knows that the likes of Michael Keane and Eric Dier should be nowhere near the England squad when there's this much talent available. I know it's not gonna happen but If we want to win something surely he has to go?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Funny how everybody's suddenly so smart in hindsight in evaluating Southgate's absurdly soft World Cup run. Woe betide anybody who dared suggest such a thing at the time tho :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funny how everybody's suddenly so smart in hindsight in evaluating Southgate's absurdly soft World Cup run. Woe betide anybody who dared suggest such a thing at the time tho :lol:

Quite

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020

I did and people were raging at me.. The only match which you could say we were impressive in was the Sweden game. We scraped past Columbia on Pens.. Got beat by Belgiums A & B side and lost to a Croatia side who are really nothing special.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
If Southgate out, who in?

Many have tried, and all have failed. The England job is impossible.

Mustafa, I believe you could do a better job.. Literally anyone else who watches the premier league will do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Look at the likes of France, Belgium ect.. We should be at that level

Why? England seem to think they can assemble the best 11 players and somehow magically do well. Germany, France, Spain have shown it goes way way deeper than this and needs the alignment of leagues, authorities and clubs..... and a coherent strategy. Then you might have a chance. Until then there’s no point bothering.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We would of course expect Scots and German fans to be pleased that England are failing. Much like Scotland and Germany in fact :lolol:

I am talking about THPP and Herr Tubthumper if anyone is unaware who I am talking about :smile:

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Why? England seem to think they can assemble the best 11 players and somehow magically do well. Germany, France, Spain have shown it goes way way deeper than this and needs the alignment of leagues, authorities and clubs..... and a coherent strategy. Then you might have a chance. Until then there’s no point bothering.

Picking the best 11 does help.. Don't think there is any misalignment with regards to the FA and Premier League. There is no excuses why we shouldn't be at that level, the ingredients are there it's just that the chef can't cook.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Playing Scholes on the wide left is a ludicrous decision.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The trouble with Southgate OUT is that it opens up the possibility of Potter IN.

So it needs to be combined with Smug Eddie IN instead.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Lots of people at the time were saying we had a very favourable run of games to just about reach the semis, it was very flattering, but also, IMO, very deceiving.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree the England job is impossible, give it to smug Ted :lolol:

CH to be managing ROI soon though.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Potter is 2 favourite

A2FF44CD-5B6C-43E7-80A0-E276531C0DF6.png

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No way would Potter get it and that's just the reason why we keep making the same mistakes. Lets get a media darling, whoever is flavour of the month and looks good at the press conference oh and woe betide them if they have an opinion on anything.

Southgate has an unbalanced but seriously talented squad but he is apparently incapable of addressing the issues he has within it. I can live with Dunk not being in the squad. I disagree but opinions etc. but can anyone say what he is proposing to do instead? He keeps trying different guys for one game them moving them on and going back to something he has previously discarded like Keane. If Phillips deserved a start, then surely it should've been instead of Rice not with him? Oh and if Phillips deserved to play on last season then why not White? Hmm what's changed for White since last season?

Mings? Don't rate him personally but if he cannot play on the left of a three he cannot play period.

Silly inbuilt bias towards high profile teams and players has been the root cause of England's problems for many years. The best team isn't the XI with the highest media profile.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Firstly he did okay at the world cup, not amazing just okay we lost 3 matches in that tournament and won 4 against opposition Peterborough United would probably do well against. He brought a decent style of football and mixed it about a bit with the player selections that's all he did.

Since then.. he has said he will pick players based on form which proved to be bullshit, the team have became more predictable and less exciting to watch, seems to be stuck too far up his own arse to see where he's going wrong.

Lets just take a look at some of the players available to him.

Forwards - Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling, Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood, Danny Ings, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Callum Wislon, Dominic Calvert Lewin, Jamie Vardy, Michail Antonio, Eddie Nketiah, Tammy Abraham to name a few..

Midfielders - Jack Grealish, James Maddison, Jordan Henderson, Declan Rice, Dele Alli, Phil Foden, James Ward Prowse, Ross Barkley, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain

Defenders - Harry Maguire, Trent Alexander Arnold, Ben Chillwell, Lewis Dunk, Joe Gomez, John Stones, James Tarkowski, Ben Mee, Chris Smalling, Connor Coady, Luke Shaw, Aaron Wan Bissaka, Ryan Sessegnog, Reece James, Tariq Lamptey, Joe Bryan, Ben White, Jamal Lascelles, Ben Godfrey, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Jack O'connell, Mason Holegate.

I accept that the majority of these are far from world class players and even the majority of these can be considered not good enough however the pool to pick from has arguably never been so good so why does he get it so badly wrong. Look at the likes of France, Belgium ect.. We should be at that level and would be at that level with a manager who knows what he's doing.. Also, I know you can only pick 23 players but if you asked any English football fan to select a squad and they would come up with a far more exciting and dare I say talented group than Southgate consistently selects. I mean 3 defensive midfielders and five at the back last night against Denmark? Really.

Anyone in football knows that the likes of Michael Keane and Eric Dier should be nowhere near the England squad when there's this much talent available. I know it's not gonna happen but If we want to win something surely he has to go?

So let me get this right.

England had a decent World Cup, reached the EuroNat semis, cruised through Euro 2020 qualifying and have started off this new EuroNat trying to experiment with a squad that has a lot of unavailable players. They just about beat Iceland (France only just managed that recently) and drew in Denmark who have only lost their first match in yonks recently.

Southgate and England are the perfect long-term fit. Foremost, because it's a job that no-one is ever successful at in this country so it's pointless changing. We are a country of club footballers. Nationally most teams who do well do so because the team unit is based in a strong social and responsible ethos. A lot of World Cup/Euro winning managers have no great track record elsewhere. So Southgate is half the battle won. The players like him and know him. Tactically he is probably not the best but that's not as important.

Does anyone look at this team and think they should be winning stuff ? I think there are two world class players and small number of decent ones. Grealish is the only player I've been head scratching about the omission of.

So in short, it's his until something goes hideously wrong.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It does not matter who is charge of the England team, the national team will forever be the Eddie The Eagle Edwards of football....

Give it a jolly good go, while being laughed at by everyone.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If Southgate out, who in?

Many have tried, and all have failed. The England job is impossible.

I don't think it's impossible, I just think expectations of many England fans are unrealistic. It's a mediocre football team that, probably, won't ever win any international championships :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here