Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] US Election 2020

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
To paraphrase Simon Jordan, whilst I don't have a dog in this fight, the next three months are going to be riveting stuff seeing Trump and Biden go head to head.

With (Crooked sic D J Trump) Hilary already stating publicly on no account should Biden concede to Trump on election night, does this mean that there will be a prolonged saga before they get a definitive result, that or the Second American Civil War?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Judging by how bad social media and MSM is at managing to predict and influence political events, Trump's going to win.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I couldn't give a monkeys about the most fu*ked up nation on Earth.

Yet why does this country seem to imitate so much from the US?

I'm almost getting a little bit tired of everyone taking the knee before a game now, they even did at Soccer Aid.

They've made their point, can we now just move on and concentrate on issues we have in this country?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We do have a dog in the fight in that Biden deplores the UK's recent foreign policy trajectory, sees Germany as a more strategically helpful (and therefore influential) European ally than the self-isolating UK and has a gimlet eye on the GFA. I very much hope he wins but I can't recall a strongly Anglophile Democrat president since Jack Kennedy (ironic, given his Irish background and fascist-supporting father).

If Biden wins our influence will diminish. If Trump does, God knows what will happen.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Hope it didn't mar too much your enjoyment of such an illustrious, competitive and august spectacle.

Its bizarre, when I sat a Ref's exam 30 years ago, the big no no was being asked to ref mixed matches, ie men and women, the FA strenuously told all refs not to officiate in these games, yet 30 years on Soccer Aid was one such game, to quote the words of Jimmy Greaves...……...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yet why does this country seem to imitate so much from the US?

I'm almost getting a little bit tired of everyone taking the knee before a game now, they even did at Soccer Aid.

They've made their point, can we now just move on and concentrate on issues we have in this country?

"They've made their point"?

Oh ok, that's racism sorted then. Let's "move on".

Ah, I see. You watch Soccer Aid. As you were.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Its bizarre, when I sat a Ref's exam 30 years ago, the big no no was being asked to ref mixed matches, ie men and women, the FA strenuously told all refs not to officiate in these games, yet 30 years on Soccer Aid was one such game, to quote the words of Jimmy Greaves...……...

It’s called progress.

To quote the man of the 60’s (oh the irony)

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
"They've made their point"?

Oh ok, that's racism sorted then. Let's "move on".

Ah, I see. You watch Soccer Aid. As you were.

Watched it briefly LL, I'm not saying that's racism sorted, clearly its not, but there are far more effective ways of combatting it.

Just asking post Tommie Smith and his fellow athlete doing the Black Power salute in Mexico in 1968, if every US gold winning black athlete had done the same thing on the Olympic podium for the last 52 years, would we 1) Still be talking about Tommie Smith?
2) Would things have been altered that drastically?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Watched it briefly LL, I'm not saying that's racism sorted, clearly its not, but there are far more effective ways of combatting it.

Just asking post Tommie Smith and his fellow athlete doing the Black Power salute in Mexico in 1968, if every US gold winning black athlete had done the same thing on the Olympic podium for the last 52 years, would we 1) Still be talking about Tommie Smith?
2) Would things have been altered that drastically?

1) Yes
2) Yes
:thumbsup:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Simon Jordan was the first person to use the phrase "I don't have a dog in this fight". Every day is a school day.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Please elaborate on answer 2.

I'm not sure it really requires it elaboration, but I contend that a 52-year long sustained campaign at the highest profile sporting event in the world*, broadcasted repeatedly to some of the largest TV audiences in the world and being embraced by some of the most influential sports personalities is pretty likely to have an impact.

*Except Soccer Aid

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This thread’s about the American election not Black Lives Matter and sport.

I think Trump will walk this one easily. It’s not unknown but fairly rare for US presidents to not get a second term and a lot of Americans are seeing the unrest in Democrat run cities as a taster of what might happen if the Democrats ran the country and will vote accordingly.

There might be a shock result, but I’m not expecting it.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This thread’s about the American election not Black Lives Matter and sport.

I think Trump will walk this one easily. It’s not unknown but fairly rare for US presidents to not get a second term and a lot of Americans are seeing the unrest in Democrat run cities as a taster of what might happen if the Democrats ran the country and will vote accordingly.

There might be a shock result, but I’m not expecting it.

I don't know where you are getting your information, but a Biden win would really NOT be a shock result.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ikely-voters-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN2601DT

Mr Baker Lite I know is looking at it all through his racist-tinted glasses, so his certainty of a Trump win is no surprise.

Obviously there is built in unpredictability. But Biden is some way ahead in many swing states (I mean even TEXAS is apparenty 'too close to call') and it seems that, with politics so polarized, the polls are now finding fewer and fewer people are left 'undecided' (the danger of telling people they have to 'pick a side' I guess). So the likelihood of a major late swing is potentially smaller than usual with two months to go. Although of course that has to be balanced against the entirely unprecedented context (having an orange idiot racist in charge and failing to manage a pandemic - really not normal)

So, who knows, but I am genuinely interested in what evidence there is to makeyou think that Trump is likely to win?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Polls aren’t accurate, though. Didn’t Hillary Clinton have a 90%+ chance of winning last time? And Brexit would lose according to the polls.

The only evidence will be on polling day in November. I think Trump will walk it for the reasons I gave above, but it’s a guess. I also think he’ll gain a lot more black votes. I’d personally be wry surprised if he lost, but time will tell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here