Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the most bizarre/memorable Albion game(s) you have attended ?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
What Albion game sticks in your mind and why ? It doesn't have to be what happens on field that makes it special.

I am always drawn back to Albion vs Walsall at the Goldstone on a Tuesday evening in 1976. I can't recall seeing another result like it when both teams came off level 0-0 at half time and the Albion ran out 7-0 victors. That's a goal about every 6 minutes. It was crazy stuff.

To add to the mayhem and mystery the seven second half goals were all scored by just 2 players - Ian Mellor 3 and Peter Ward 4. (kicking towards the South stand I think)

Plus the match was watched by just 14,000 yet 4 days earlier over 27,000 had piled in to watch the 1-1 draw with Palace.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The one that nobody else seems to remember ......

Late 60's early 70's ?

Geoff Sidebottom in goal (No idea where Brian Powney was ???)

Striker comes through on a 50/50 and him and Sidebottom hit one another full on. I think Sidebottom was unconscious, trainer comes on, magic sponge etc. Game restarts, Sidebottom on his haunches, still obviously suffering and smoking a cigarette !

He rolls over onto his back, trainer comes back on. I think Eddie Spearitt took over in goal.

Does anyone remember ? Could it have been a 'combination' game ? Do I finally have to accept that dementia has set in ?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Memorable (one of them): Albion's 5-0 beating of Norwich (29.10.16) in our promotional season, together with a stadium tour + I turned 50, all a gift from the Mrs :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Warboys and Bannister at the Goldstone - losing 8-2 to Bristol Rovers. We didn't pay badly - it was just that every time they ventured into our half they scored!
1972 nearing the end of Saward's promotion season, at home to lowly Torquay United - 1-0 down with about 5 minutes to go ....... promoton dream in tatters ................. ran out 3-1 winners!
Happy days!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Can't remember who it was against but there was a game at Withdean, right near the end of the match, where our right back cleared the ball so high it looked like it was going to clear the South stand. The whole stadium and our starting 11 all kept our eyes on where the ball was going to end up.

Whilst this was going on, an opposition player quickly hurried the ball boy to throw him a ball which he did, the player took a quick throw and they ended up scoring straight from it whilst we and half our team all still had our eyes on where this ball was going.

By the time we all turned around the opposition were celebrating. I remember the phone-in after had loads of people blaming the ball boy.

Anyone else remember this game and who it was against?

Last edited:

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Playing New Zealand at the Goldstone on a Monday night. Somewhen in 1992. Mid season not pre season friendly.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Steaua Bucharest friendly. We were 4-0 up at half time and then they brought on their first team. Dragged it back to 4-4 and then Crumps scored the winner.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Warboys and Bannister at the Goldstone - losing 8-2 to Bristol Rovers. We didn't pay badly - it was just that every time they ventured into our half they scored!

yes I was at that debacle. Unfortunately it was captured on TV , and the Albion rarely made it onto TV in those days

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont know when but Swindon away. We were 2.0 down. Although pitch was very wet game called off in 2nd half. At the time never crossed our minds that conditions were bad enough to stop game

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I was at one particular game and I'm pretty sure I broke Johnny Byrne during a pitch invasion.

Its been eating me up for years.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Leicester away on a Tuesday night. The 4-1 win about 6 years ago to spoil their promotion party. Game was phenomenal but the coach home was even better. An elderly gentleman (who I think was death) couldn’t speak properly, but was very buoyant after the win and kept starting chants. Whole coach was buzzing and joined in!

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Dont know when but Swindon away. We were 2.0 down. Although pitch was very wet game called off in 2nd half. At the time never crossed our minds that conditions were bad enough to stop game

Yes I went to that one as well . I think you'll find we were 4-0 down and Nobby Horton's constant pleading to the ref finally paid off. It was a promotion year and we were awful on the day.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Can't recall who the game was against, seem to think it was Bristol Rovers or Sheffield Wednesday (happy to be corrected) at the Goldstone a deluge just before the game started and during the game. The game would have been postponed or abandoned now, but went ahead.
Watching from the terraces it was like having a front row seat at a Shamu show at Sea World. Everytime a sliding tackle came in, about 50 gallons of water splashed up and onto the fans.

Needless to say the pitch was just a sandpit for the rest of the season.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I witnessed a win under Hyypia.

tenor.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here