Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Android phone - annoying Bluetooth pings

...Replies of "get an iPhone" will be ignored :)

I have a Motorola moto g(7) which has developed a couple of irritating habits. Around three weeks ago, and at 08:45 or thereabouts daily I get a flurry of message "pings" showing that my phone has connected to a variety of Bluetooth devices - the only id showing are 4 digit numbers. Why is this happening and how do I make it stop - Google just seems to add to the confusion. My theory is that this due to me signing up for the "what 3 words" app. at around the same time.

I am also getting pop up adverts which I have not experienced before and some blindingly obvious spam stating that my phone is infected (regularly running of AVG suggests otherwise).

Words of wisdom welcomed from NSC tekkie types.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
FIrstly, and genuinely, have you turned it off and on again? Seriously - try this first!

Bluetooth - quick and dirty fix - turn it off.

Pop-ups - where are you getting these? Just in Chrome, or elsewhere?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Get an iPhone

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I get a message telling me a TV is available to connect to. As none of my TV's are online I'm guessing it belongs to next door. May try and flash something onto their screen
As for What 3 Words. Just don't understand it. Presuming you need internet to find out where in the world you are on this app, why not use google maps?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I get a message telling me a TV is available to connect to. As none of my TV's are online I'm guessing it belongs to next door. May try and flash something onto their screen
As for What 3 Words. Just don't understand it. Presuming you need internet to find out where in the world you are on this app, why not use google maps?

Regarding the issue of the pings, he could turn off bluetooth or go to notifications and turn them off for specific ones.

Regarding using the internet to know where you are, I generally know where I am, but sometimes forget where I have been.

The solution to this is to drink less red wine :drink::drink::drink:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

What Three Words would also work for you if you were hiking on the downs, or up a mountain in Scotland, giving rescue teams the chance to find you.

I used it to report the location of a car accident I was in, driving back from OT last season, Google maps doesn't tell you where you are, just shows you, whereas What Three Words gives a precise location to within 3m2.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
What three words is amazing, I regularly check where I am to see if something inadvertently funny comes up. I have different words in different rooms in my house but none are sadly worthy of sharing (plus I dont want you lot to know where I live!!)

Wife thinks its stupid as the squares are too small and shirely if you are lost/broken down it doesn't need to be that accurate for someone to find you. I will one day lock her in a box or maybe a coffin and leave her up the dyke or New Forrest and see if she likes the accuracy then.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Wife thinks its stupid as the squares are too small and shirely if you are lost/broken down it doesn't need to be that accurate for someone to find you. I will one day lock her in a box or maybe a coffin and leave her up the dyke or New Forrest and see if she likes the accuracy then.

I recognise it's a small sample size, having only tried it on my last four wives, but the answer seems to be 'no, they don't'. At least the two that I subsequently found didn't. I can't speak for the other two as I forgot what the three words were that identified their location. I will let you know what they thought when they return. Although, 7 and 11 years seems like a long time for them to be absent now I think about it.

What?

Me again regarding my Android problem. Managed to solve the main issue by changing the name of my phone. However I still keep getting irritating adverts popping up offering my unlikely gifts to acknowledge Google reaching 1 trillion searches every year. How do get rid?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here