Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Soul America BBC 4 Friday nights

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Another great Friday night BBC4 series, particularly for lovers of soul music. First episode was last Friday (3 part series), so will be on iPlayer. The first part includes, IMO, the best two soul vocalists of all time, Aretha and Otis - great also to recall Sam Cooke’s velvet tones and Clarence Carter(Patches was his big hit over here). I’m only part way through and am just getting to Motown so no doubt Stevie and Marvin still to come. Due reference too to the wonderful Stax house band effectively, Booker T and the MGs, who were responsible for so many classic instrumentals, Time Is Tight, Soul Limbo et al. Wonderful!

Additionally distracts me temporarily from all the striker threads!!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Haven't watched yet, fairly sure I've seen it all before, but always happy to watch most of it again.

Clarence Carter did better. And not just back door Santa!

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
For those who like old style soul I recommend the COLEMINE record label started in 2007.Saw Durand Jones and the Indicators and the Yip last year at the Concorde2 and they were excellent.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ooh it’s a corner;9494896 said:
Booker T and the MGs, who were responsible for so many classic instrumentals, Time Is Tight, Soul Limbo et al. Wonderful!

And to British audiences, indelibly linked to test match cricket - such a strange association for a southern soul band (although the royalties would have been handy)

It was an excellent programme - look forward to the next ones

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Read Stuart Cosgrove's trilogy last year. Starting with Detroit 67: The Year That Changed Soul, which focuses on Detroit and Motown. The second book begins in Memphis 1968 with the death of Otis and the bin dispute. The final book is 1969 and is based in New York and the development of Soul into new forms - Which was less my thing. Brilliantly written and covers both the music, society and politics of the time: riots, MLK Jr, Black Panthers, Vietnam War and Peace movement, Police brutality, indie labels, hippies etc. Awesome!

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Just watched Part Two - follows very much the rising social tensions among black Americans - how much has really changed in 50 years?
The music is great again of course - personal faves for me were the classic What’s Going On album from Marvin and the genius Stevie Wonder with Inner Visions - I know we can easily fall into hyperbole but for me it’s totally justified with SW. The album version of Living For The City is pure class!
And Candi Station’s Young Hearts Run Free brings back nostalgic memories of the long hot summer of ‘76! Great watch for soul fans.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Too much Motown for me last night because I much prefer Stax and Atlantic - Motown more “poppy”. I never “got” Diana Ross, who doesn’t compare to Aretha!

I appreciate Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye and Steve Wonder������, but prefer Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett and the like.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here