Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bank cheque question

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Quick question about bank cheques please.

A bit passe, but older people still seem to like them. :(

My Dad had a cheque declined recently when it was presented to the bank by the
recipient. The cheque was signed by my Mum (on her account) and the amount
written in a different hand by my Dad (it was a transaction for some building
work). The funds were there to support it.

It was also written on a cheque for a branch of Barclays that had closed. They
had to pay the amount quickly.

Is either of these factors (or both) likely to lead to suspicion in a bank to the
point where they would decline it?

(Even though everything was in order and above board, so to speak.)

Ta
essbee

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Is either of these factors (or both) likely to lead to suspicion in a bank to the

Ta
essbee

This may help :)
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org...p/banking-and-payments/cheques-bankers-drafts

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

Ta
essbee

Didn't they say why it was declined? Different hand writing shouldn't have stopped it, only thing I can think of is the branch closure. I should imagine Barclays would have sent a new cheque book for where the account is now held.

rbridd

Aug 9, 2005
Sort code indicates the branch. If the branch is closed I imagine that’s why it is rejected. Sort code no longer valid.

Just an informed guess though.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sort code indicates the branch. If the branch is closed I imagine that’s why it is rejected. Sort code no longer valid.

Just an informed guess though.

My branch (Nat West Lancing) closed years ago, and they transferred me to Shoreham. But my sort code remained the same. Maybe Barclays weren't so forward thinking?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Ta
essbee

Your mum signs a blank cheque from an old cheque book. Your dad fills it in and gives it to a builder who trots off to the bank. You also know your mum's bank balance. The transaction was urgent, yet builder was paid by cheque, the slowest form of payment known to man. You do realise there might be grounds for suspicion in all the circs?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think both old book and handwriting together looks sus, bank doing their job protecting your money here.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Your mum signs a blank cheque from an old cheque book. Your dad fills it in and gives it to a builder who trots off to the bank. You also know your mum's bank balance. The transaction was urgent, yet builder was paid by cheque, the slowest form of payment known to man. You do realise there might be grounds for suspicion in all the circs?

Indeed - it doesn't sound too good I agree.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the bank weren't checking then more people would complain.

Out of interest, why didn't your mum write the whole cheque?

Not convinced the fact the branch has closed has anything to do with it.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I got caught out in similar sort of way about five years ago with Santander.
The bank declined the cheque because it was an old number issued in a cheque book from over a year earlier.

Other reasons for cheque bounce: words and numbers differ [or can't be read] / date on cheque more than six months old - bank must provide the reason for non-payment ....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
think both old book and handwriting together looks sus, bank doing their job protecting your money here.

Shows how customer service has fallen off a cliff. In the old days the bank would have phoned and checked with the account holder as to whether the cheque should be paid. Lazy and shit customer service imo but that’s the often the norm these days imo.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Shows how customer service has fallen off a cliff. In the old days the bank would have phoned and checked with the account holder as to whether the cheque should be paid. Lazy and shit customer service imo but that’s the often the norm these days imo.

Having worked as a bank teller a few years ago I can assure you where the case merits staff would endeavour to contact the account owner.

What is also worth saying is that the branch staff receive a meagre salary under extreme pressure to ensure that every single client transaction is seamless and faultless. Sometimes it can be very difficult to justify disappearing from the view of the customers who are already waiting in the banking hall to nip round the back to make a call to somebody who may not answer / not wish to share any details with you / should be looking at the other payment options available to them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having worked as a bank teller a few years ago I can assure you where the case merits staff would endeavour to contact the account owner.

What is also worth saying is that the branch staff receive a meagre salary under extreme pressure to ensure that every single client transaction is seamless and faultless. Sometimes it can be very difficult to justify disappearing from the view of the customers who are already waiting in the banking hall to nip round the back to make a call to somebody who may not answer / not wish to share any details with you / should be looking at the other payment options available to them.

Fair enough, but whatever the reasons (and I know it will be a staffing one) the customer service from banks and other big institutions has fallen a long long way. Sure, it’s much simpler and more convenient to use online banking, which IS brilliant just making the point that for older less savvy people the new way is not a better way. Much like the airline business where actually talking to someone becomes harder and harder, as does the ability for staff to think and act with common sense over company policy. I guess I’m just having a whinge about how impersonal and cold things are these days, sorry :shrug:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The different handwriting/signature combo might be enough to stop it being paid however as others have stated that would normally lead to a phone call first.

The sort code/closed branch shouldn’t also impact as when a branch closes they don’t withdraw the sort code or change sort codes on accounts - think how frustrating that would be from a customer perspective to have to tell people that pay you or collect from you that the details have changed?

The other thought that occurs is that perhaps they had previously reported a cheque as missing in that sequence and that the bank cancelled the whole book via the stop cheque process and as such any cheque presented from that book would be automatically stopped and returned unpaid.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The different handwriting/signature combo might be enough to stop it being paid however as others have stated that would normally lead to a phone call first.

The sort code/closed branch shouldn’t also impact as when a branch closes they don’t withdraw the sort code or change sort codes on accounts - think how frustrating that would be from a customer perspective to have to tell people that pay you or collect from you that the details have changed?

The other thought that occurs is that perhaps they had previously reported a cheque as missing in that sequence and that the bank cancelled the whole book via the stop cheque process and as such any cheque presented from that book would be automatically stopped and returned unpaid.

I doubt the different handwriting thing would make a difference. When I worked on a bank counter (admittedly some while ago) it was not unusual for this to happen. Quite often cheques would be filled in already signed. And quite often it’s difficult to tell different handwriting from just a signature anyway.

Agree on the sort code, my branch closed a couple of years ago and kept the sort code. Branch address changed to head office.

I think it was either a mistake or a technicality as you say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Fair enough, but whatever the reasons (and I know it will be a staffing one) the customer service from banks and other big institutions has fallen a long long way. Sure, it’s much simpler and more convenient to use online banking, which IS brilliant just making the point that for older less savvy people the new way is not a better way. Much like the airline business where actually talking to someone becomes harder and harder, as does the ability for staff to think and act with common sense over company policy. I guess I’m just having a whinge about how impersonal and cold things are these days, sorry :shrug:

Yes, but you have picked the wrong target for your whinge. Bank staff are not selling shoes or ice creams. Even the counter staff have a range of responsibilities and obligations to protect customer privacy, look out for fraud and other criminal activity and protect the funds in accounts for the customers, particularly vulnerable ones who don't always respond well to being protected. You won't be aware of all the paddling their feet are doing under the surface to keep you and your money safe while still trying to provide a friendly service. You probably haven't even been in to bank for a few years if you are an online user and yet you pass judgement. Sure, there aren't so many staff or branches, but the ones that remain work very hard to provide a good service.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here