Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Viktor Gyokeres

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I watched him a few times and was absolutely convinced he wasn’t good enough for us. I thought he had a poor touch, was cumbersome and lacked pace. When we let him go to me it was a no brainier.

Still not convinced I was totally wrong but he’s doing a very good job of trying to prove me so.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Has anyone ITK said there isn't a sell-on clause?
No.
Has anyone ITK said there is a sell-on clause?
No.
Is anyone ITK likely to say whether there is or not?
No.
Does anybody on here know whether there is or not?
No.
Does anybody seriously think that the Abion would have just given him away for a small fee without taking into account every possible situation or turn of events?
N ..................

Sorry, you'll have to work that one out for yourself.

You are the Devils advocate and I claim my £5

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Quite a few ostriches on here when it comes to this one. The Championship is an excellent level of football and not everyone can play in that league and score hatfuls of goals.

Let's be honest, if we knew he could score this freely, he'd be way ahead of Locadia on our bench and certainly challenging for a starting spot. We signed Maupay off the back of his performances in the Championship, I don't get why people are being so dismissive now.

If he carries on this form, they have had a fantastic bit of business and we've done poorly. That's okay, it happens - we can't win them all. But it's okay to admit and accept we made a poor decision which we believed to be right at the time. It's a bit pathetic to keep insisting it was a good bit of business to let him go when it clearly wasn't.

Also, all this talk of a sell-on clause. Is there actually any evidence/mention of this, or is it just a hopeful assumption that we've covered our backs in case he went nuclear? I mean, I've seen no mention from journos who covered the deal or from either club.

There is not a lot that could have been done differently though.

If he was 20 or 21 with multiple years left on the contract, I agree it would have looked like a mistake. But he is 23, had a couple of not-so-great seasons out on loan... it was either selling him now or extending his contract, which is weird when you have a 23 year old who couldnt break into a poor Championship team last season.

You are probably right that he would have been preferred ahead of Locadia (who is only around because no one wanted him) but at Viktors age you desperately need to play consistently and while he's done well in the Championship its unlikely that he would be able to (currently) outcompete Maupay and Welbeck.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Scoring a goal a game, my Coventry friend here thanks me everytime I see him and buys me a pint everytime he scores, that's nice.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yup. Since winning the Champions League last season and making a cracking start this season, life as a Chelsea fan has been tough. As Potter said at the forum, it takes years to see how a player develops to see if they were mistakes or just best for club and player at the time. Pragmatic soul our Graham:smile:

Chelsea have had the ability to make up for mistakes by just spending money.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Sometimes a club and a player just fit perfectly. He shows he had the quality and we were scouting the right sort of player. Happy for him and hope it continues

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm pleased for him. Imagine if it was Connolly. There would be pages and pages of 'no surprise, he's found his level' and 'no way he would have scored like that with us'. Hope they both enjoy stellar careers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm pleased for him. Imagine if it was Connolly. There would be pages and pages of 'no surprise, he's found his level' and 'no way he would have scored like that with us'. Hope they both enjoy stellar careers.
No it wouldn't, only for the haters and a few idiots. Everyone else would be thinking he's gone out on loan to re-capture that magic he had in PL2 - and boy oh boy, isn't it working well! Just what he needed!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Comical Fulham defending gifted him that one, but he's certainly doing the business.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Kids on fire.
Well done Victor

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ripping Fulham a new one here.

What a player