Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Nile Rodgers - tracks of my years on Radio 2

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok so this is an old programme having been broadcast back in 2008 but what strikes me about him is how far he is up his own arse.

Most stars choose tracks that they grew up with and influenced them but Nile has chosen Let’s Dance by Bowie and Like a Virgin by Madonna.

He produced both of them!

That’s all, rant over except I still maintain he’s a one trick pony but only just realised how far up his own arse he is as well.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Agree that is quite a pompous thing to do but I’ll forgive him because he’s helped produce and collaborate on some lovely Duran Duran tunes !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Such a privilege to see the coolest man on the planet live in Preston Park in 2018

38693360_10156024821302763_1906780873139683328_n.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I love Chic . . . .and NR has produced some classic music, but completely agree with you Icy . . . . I got shot down in flames by a few people for criticising Chic at Glastonbury a few years ago, I said they were soiunding a bit Butlins/cruise ship . . .nothing like the hard driving soulful stuff they did with Bernard Edward at the helm.

I think BE probably kept Nile Rogers in check, his ego is bigger than Trumps these days

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ok so this is an old programme having been broadcast back in 2008 but what strikes me about him is how far he is up his own arse.

Most stars choose tracks that they grew up with and influenced them but Nile has chosen Let’s Dance by Bowie and Like a Virgin by Madonna.

He produced both of them!

That’s all, rant over except I still maintain he’s a one trick pony but only just realised how far up his own arse he is as well.

Or maybe that he takes great pride and happiness in them. Or that he is a producer of songs which turned mediocre demos into works of great art.

Is that your definition of 'up your own arse' or the definition of a 'one-trick pony'...?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Or maybe that he takes great pride and happiness in them. Or that he is a producer of songs which turned mediocre demos into works of great art.

Is that your definition of 'up your own arse' or the definition of a 'one-trick pony'...?

Nope, I am of the opinion that tracks of my years is songs that you grew up with/ influenced you as 99% of the participants on the programme manage.

As it’s you I kind of get why you’d admire Rodger’s way of choosing them though

Most of Chic’s songs having pretty well the same riff is my reason for thinking he’s a one trick pony, although I grant you that he has produced some good songs.

Anyway, I look forward to your put down post, don’t ever change will you. Love you for it :smile:

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Tracks of my years doesnt have to be in his formative years, but any time of his life. Lets face it he could choose the 70's, 80's 90's and so on.

You have to remember Chic were washed up when Disco died. He reinvented himself as a producer (soley, as opposed to being in a band) and Like a Virgin and Lets Dance were the tracks that really kicked started it.

he probably does have an ego, but do you know what, he probably deserves it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tracks of my years doesnt have to be in his formative years, but any time of his life. Lets face it he could choose the 70's, 80's 90's and so on.

You have to remember Chic were washed up when Disco died. He reinvented himself as a producer (soley, as opposed to being in a band) and Like a Virgin and Lets Dance were the tracks that really kicked started it.

he probably does have an ego, but do you know what, he probably deserves it.

Agreed but imo that shows him to be up his own arse, just my opinion, not a fact!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nope, I am of the opinion that tracks of my years is songs that you grew up with/ influenced you as 99% of the participants on the programme manage.

Ah, so you have unilaterally chosen what the programme should be about, irrespective of what the producers, presenters and guests on the show feel it should be. So you'd really made this about you, rather than Nile Rodgers.

As it’s you I kind of get why you’d admire Rodger’s way of choosing them though

Quite. It's good to take pride in things you've achieved rather than some kind of pre-determined embarrassment path which other feel all must follow.

Most of Chic’s songs having pretty well the same riff is my reason for thinking he’s a one trick pony, although I grant you that he has produced some good songs.

Who was talking about Chic? I wasn't. He wasn't. Just you, which is pretty narrow set of work to judge him by.

Anyway, I look forward to your put down post, don’t ever change will you. Love you for it :smile:

Thanks. I'll take that as a backhanded compliment. :kiss:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm fairly ok with a bit of arrogance when people can back it up with ability and results.

Nile Rodgers can definitely back it up.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
What I will agree on with Nile Rodgers is that he does have a signature guitar lick - you know its his work before anyone says. Also, he very cleverly worked out that the chorus should start the song.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm boycotting Radio 2 after Steve Wright put "Mmmbop" by Hanson into the "Golden Oldies" segment a few years ago.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm boycotting Radio 2 after Steve Wright put "Mmmbop" by Hanson into the "Golden Oldies" segment a few years ago.

Is R2 still going ? I thought it shut down When Radcliffe & Macaroni left ?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Is R2 still going ? I thought it shut down When Radcliffe & Macaroni left ?

Everything pretty crap except Ken Bruce, when he goes I will stop listening. I cant take the Mumsnet Trio of Ball, Cox and Whiney, Vine is an up himself prick and Wright is beyond parody.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How about Desert Island Discs. He got to select 5 of his own tunes out of 8 tracks!
https://inews.co.uk/culture/radio/nile-rodgers-desert-island-discs-songs-today-chose-own-210952

Thanks for posting, I think that trumps any repost I can come up with to convince [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] that Rodgers is clearly up his own arse. He may be brilliant, he may be talented, he may be interesting (in others eyes as well as his own) but...he is 100% up his own arse :smile:

I orginally posted this as an opinion but I am now calling it a fact :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I love the music of Chic and some NR’s work with other artists. In that interview I think he came across as a good guy. So complimentary of Bowie.

Even when he might as well have said that Let's Dance was a bit shit until he (Rodgers) worked his magic on it. he did basically say that didn't he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here