Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Tree removal - advice sought

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice regarding having a tree removed from my garden in Shoreham.

No idea what a 20ft tree would cost to have removed including the root which is undermining my side wall of the garden. Have a couple of different people coming this week to give me a quote but no idea what sort of quote or price would be reasonable.

Any idea of a ball park figure I could reasonably be expected to be quoted (so I have some idea I'm not being ripped off)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice regarding having a tree removed from my garden in Shoreham.

No idea what a 20ft tree would cost to have removed including the root with is undermining my side wall of the garden. Have a couple of different people coming this week to give me a quote but no idea what sort of quote or price would be reasonable.

Any idea of a ball park figure I could reasonably be expected to be quoted (so I have some idea I'm not being ripped off)?

Thanks in advance.

Call 999 and ask for the special branch.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
We are having a bit of a to do with the council over some trees on the open space on our estate. They have put a tree preservation order on most of them so they can’t be touched so its a 10k fine for each if you chop them down. I assume yours wont have a TPO as it looks like it is on your land but just in case.

Mother in law and her neighbours just had a tree taken down that was considered a potential hazard if it fell on main road and I think it was about £1500-£2000 but it was quite tall.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Hi guys

No idea what a 20ft tree would cost to have removed including the root which is undermining my side wall of the garden. Have a couple of different people coming this week to give me a quote but no idea what sort of quote or price would be reasonable.

Thanks in advance.

Can you post a couple of photos?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
fire?

[video]https://media1.tenor.com/images/828603f223d4ce354c6620311e8c3b 9b/tenor.gif?itemid=5307315[/video]

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I paid 1300 in November for removal of dead ash tree and crown removal of a sycamore. This didn't include removal of the stump or taking away all the bits as I was happy for him to leave them where they were (the bottom of the garden is thick woodland and given over to nature).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hi guys

Thanks in advance.

Dont live in sussex, so only price may help?

I had a 15 foot tree cut down and removed. Guy did it for £60.

Though it may have been a cash in hand and not official price. Was meaning to get it done when a tree surgeon in my street knocked on door and offered services. It was spontaneous!

Similar problems with roots pulling up path, tree surgeon guy put a small X cut in stump but new growth started coming out. So I followed advice on yourube. Bored loads of holes through stump and roots then used a 1kg bag of Epsom salts (Amazon £4.95) mixed with a little water (like a sludge) and poured it in holes, covered with plastic sheet held down with bricks and that killed roots. Dead roots still in ground

https://homesteaderdepot.com/stump-removal-hack-epsom-salt/

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Can’t really guide you on price but I often recommend South Coast Tree Care....local firm and never let my customers down

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Nobody wants to get ripped off, but you don't want to have a cowboy doing it either. Make sure they are qualified, have the right tools, safety equipment, are insured etc. I had a 20 foot pine cut down a few years ago. I don't recall it being expensive, (sorry can't remember how much) but they left the root in the ground, killed it and left it to rot away, and also left the wood for me to burn. So make sure you are specific in what you want. If you want total removal, then obviously it will obviously cost more.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We are having a bit of a to do with the council over some trees on the open space on our estate. They have put a tree preservation order on most of them so they can’t be touched so its a 10k fine for each if you chop them down. I assume yours wont have a TPO as it looks like it is on your land but just in case.

Mother in law and her neighbours just had a tree taken down that was considered a potential hazard if it fell on main road and I think it was about £1500-£2000 but it was quite tall.

Pretty sure with a TPO it doesn't matter if the trees are on your land or not. We've got two absurdly large trees in our garden and any time these tree fellas come round to chop them back a bit there's a six week delay while they get permission from the council

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Pretty sure with a TPO it doesn't matter if the trees are on your land or not. We've got two absurdly large trees in our garden and any time these tree fellas come round to chop them back a bit there's a six week delay while they get permission from the council
Think you are right but they have to put a temporaryTPO on for 6 months to give the land owner time to object

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Had a 20 foot trunk of a huge old sycamore taken down, stump ground out and all removed for about £1000 last year, £500 for the trunk and take away, £500 for the stump grinding. Did a superb job and I was amazed at the amount of wood that came out from the root area. In London, so expect its inflated a little, but not by much, was th going rate from the 3 quotes I got from local companies.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here