Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Brighton Tigers Legend

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Tigers legend Jack Dryburgh has passed away at 81 RIP

ice.jpg

ice 2.jpg

We once had the best Ice hockey team in the land, beating the then olympic champions the USSR and later the Toronto Maple Leafs both on European tours at separate times.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18701734.farewell-brighton-tigers-ice-hockey-legend-jack-dryburgh/

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?227647-Brighton-Tigers-Ice-Hockey&highlight=

el punal

The first time that I’d heard of Brighton, as a young boy far, far away (!), was watching Grandstand on BBC tv. They used to show ice hockey on the Saturday afternoon slot along will racing, hill climbing - the motor version, rugby internationals and so on. Anyway, often featured were Brighton Tigers who invariably won. The name of a player that kept cropping up was Rupe Fresher.

Little did I know that a few short years later I would be living near this magical place that in my imagination was one of sunshine, seaside and holidays - got that one a bit wrong! :D

P.S. If it wasn’t Grandstand it would have been its BBC predecessor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said before:-

It's a hell of a jersey

old-brighton-tigers-ice-hockey-team-knitted-jersey-from-the-1960s-BX32M6.jpg

You'd have thought someone would try and knit up a few to sell them on at an exorbitant profit to those in Brighton who live for exorbitant profit margins. :lol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wouldn't it be grand if we could have a proper ice rink and a revival of the Brighton Tigers. They talk about it every now and again, but then it fizzles out again

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wouldn't it be grand if we could have a proper ice rink and a revival of the Brighton Tigers. They talk about it every now and again, but then it fizzles out again

All it needs is a consultation period.

All of Brighton's ills get repaired/replaced/maintained/upgraded etc after a consultation period.

Just look at the Park n Ride, The West Pier, the congestion, the homelessness, the graffiti...

...oh.

RedSox Seagull

Sep 9, 2009
Two Brighton Tigers pass away

This has been a sad few weeks for fans of the 1960s Brighton Tigers.

Two of the Scottish imports who made the Tigers so successful between 1960 and their demise in 1965 passed away recently. Defenceman, Thomas (Red) Imrie and forward, Jack (Jackie) Dryburgh were part of the all-conquering 1960s Brighton Tigers ice hockey team beloved by the many fans who used to gather in the Sports Stadium at the bottom of West Street.

For those who want to know more, there is a book on the Tigers with an introduction by Dick Knight who was a huge fan. It’s available on amazon or in City Books, Hove

Attachments

• Front Cover for Amazon.jpg
    Front Cover for Amazon.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Mill Lane post office in Portslade was run in the 1960s and 70s by a chap who, it was said, played in goal for the Tigers. I won't post the name (surname begins with W) in case it isn't true, but can anyone confirm this? I just looked up a few squad lists from the late 50s and early 60s and can't see his name. I did see 'Oxley' however, and suspect he was the father of a lad who was at school with my middle brother.

Disgraceful how the rink was simply demolished without any contingency.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
My mum was a massive fan of the Brighton Tigers my three brothers are named after players. She played for the Brighton wildcats women's team, but there is no details of that. I guess they were not professional and just played for fun.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
All it needs is a consultation period.

All of Brighton's ills get repaired/replaced/maintained/upgraded etc after a consultation period.

Just look at the Park n Ride, The West Pier, the congestion, the homelessness, the graffiti......oh.

We did try back in 1965, once Tigers were homeless we managed to carry on the next season playing away games only which was hard for the Team and the supporters. The only away game I managed to attend was at the old Empire Pool Wembley against our old rivals Wembley Lions. The supporters club carried on for a couple of years, and we had regular meetings, but to no avail as there was absolutely no interest from the council or potential investors in backing the return of Tigers. There were various plans put about (the new rink at the Marina for one) but nothing materialised and the Tigers supporters club was eventually wound up.
As anybody who witnessed the Tigers will testify, playing on Sunday nights at the SS Brighton, to a standing room only capacity crowd, was an absolutely fantastic experience. So this really was Brighton's loss when The Tigers were disbanded, a very sad ending to a club who were regularly the top ice hockey team in the country.

May I also add my commiserations to Jackie Dryburgh's family, I was lucky to see him play many times for the Tigers scoring loads of goals along the way, he really was one of Tigers all time great players.
As a footnote, my Mother worked with Jackie at the Metal Box factory in Fishersgate, as Tigers were semi-professional team, club captain Roy Shepherd ran a garage in Southwick just off the seafront.
And Tigers legendary player and coach Bobby Lee ran The Windmill pub in Southwick for many years.

Also Gibb Hutchinson, Tigers greatest ever Goalminder, was our neighbour 4 doors away, in Shoreham back in the early 60's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here