Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] League Cup

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Just looking at the fixtures, if we beat Preston, we will more than likely be facing Manchester United twice within the space of a week.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
With respect... Tosh!

FA Cup is generally considered vaguely interesting from quarters onwards (previous rounds are completely forgetable). League Cup however is near universally considered a complete waste of time. A chance for two u23 to face off against each other or some non-league side.

This season should have been the season to ditch the league Cup under the pretence of Covid and never bring it back.

I assume you and [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] won’t be watching the League Cup game against Manchester United.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Football is about winning silverware. It’s our best chance. You could say it’s more difficult than the FA Cup as there’s more chance of getting a PL team earlier on.

We didn’t put our U23s out and that’s because we have the squad depth to do well in the cups now, like I said before.

I bloody enjoyed watching last night. Loads of chances and a team that really wanted to win.

If football is about winning silverware, then football must be completely meaningless to everyone in here.

Football is about a lot of things. Winning things is probably nice (no team I ever cared for won anything so I cant tell for sure), but its a lot more than that to it.

I assume you and [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] won’t be watching the League Cup game against Manchester United.

Pfff. I'll watch it but not so much because of the great beautiful Caribbean Cup trophy, but because it's very exciting to watch the youngsters get some real games.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I've been a fan since early 80s and although enjoyed the highs (and hated the lows) it would be lovely to actually win something.

driving into Portsmouth seeing this sign

image.jpg

I laugh at their tinpottery but am also jealous - We want to win, not just be a team. We will always fly under the radar until we win a trophy or 2. Are we bigger than Leeds? not yet but a League cup will help.

Every article will say "Brighton, who won their first league cup over Manchester city in 2021" etc etc.and I bet Bloom would be delighted more than a 10th position in the league - highest ever finish woop woop.

Being in the PL is great, aiming to be a mid table also-ran is admirable but Milk/Carling/Caribao/Rumbelows/Coca-cola/Worthington's cup winners - thats another level

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
That will be one of the areas we disagree on then.
I don't believe we need the stupid number of competitions we currently have.

One domestic league, one domestic cup, one European competition is more than sufficient. The rest is just money-grabbing tosh.

Bloody hell, anyone would think you don’t want to see the team.

Let’s just have 1 league and nothing else. Something to look forward to.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
If football is about winning silverware, then football must be completely meaningless to everyone in here.

Football is about a lot of things. Winning things is probably nice (no team I ever cared for won anything so I cant tell for sure), but its a lot more than that to it.

Pfff. I'll watch it but not so much because of the great beautiful Caribbean Cup trophy, but because it's very exciting to watch the youngsters get some real games.

You know I meant that the main goal is to win silverware.

Winning any trophy will mean far more to me than winning about 10 games in the league a season.

The League Cup game will probably be more exciting than the league game because it’s a knockout competition.

This whole ‘I’d rather just be a lower mid table team every season, rather than a cup winning team’ thing is weird.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I've been a fan since early 80s and although enjoyed the highs (and hated the lows) it would be lovely to actually win something.

View attachment 128709

I laugh at their tinpottery but am also jealous - We want to win, not just be a team. We will always fly under the radar until we win a trophy or 2. Are we bigger than Leeds? not yet but a League cup will help.

Every article will say "Brighton, who won their first league cup over Manchester city in 2021" etc etc.and I bet Bloom would be delighted more than a 10th position in the league - highest ever finish woop woop.

Being in the PL is great, aiming to be a mid table also-ran is admirable but Milk/Carling/Caribao/Rumbelows/Coca-cola/Worthington's cup winners - thats another level

No, cups aren’t important apparently. Staying in the league and winning 10 games a season is ALL we care about.

Can’t possibly want to see more than 38 games a season, that would be silly talk.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Having a chance in the cup competitions ought to be the dividend for making up the numbers in the top flight.

In fairness to our club, we seem to approach squad building in the right way to make this happen. Compared to other non top 6 Premier League clubs, I bet we have one of the best second strings in the league. I prefer this to having "all eggs in one basket" squads and over time it should see us negotiate our way through the early rounds of cup competitions when top clubs play their fringe players. We will see, but in theory our fringe players vs Man Utd's ought to be a lot closer than games between our regular starting elevens.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Does anyone know if the draw is after the Liverpool game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
OSG will take this seriously, he’s under pressure. I don’t think he’d chance their exit from possible silverware.

I wonder if he’ll play the likes of Wan-Bissaka, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Pogba, Fernandes and Van de Beek?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Has a date been confirmed for this yet? Guessing next week at some point, hopefully on Sky.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some mega spending clubs are taking the League Cup seriously, it’s often said that they don’t until the semis.

Last night Spuds and Chelsea played most of their ‘names’, ManC for their trip to Turf Moor are playing:
Walker
Fernandinho
Laporte
KDB
Mendy
Sterling
Mahrez
Torres

The pressure to win silverware seems greater than ever.

Wigan and Pompey winning a cup seems ever distant.

Last edited:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

View attachment 128709

I knew due to financial shenanigans the 2008 Win was dubious
But I thought their other win was In the 50s for some reason
But being it was during the War Years
Does this cast a cloud upon that victory also ?
🤔🤔 player availability etc etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here