Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lots of dosh on these boys

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
200 million with yesterday’s 71 million spent so far. Did Lamptey see this coming after the transfer ban? Did well to refuse a new contract and sign for the smaller club imo.

I wonder if we are quietly trying to get further, likely to be surplus to requirements this year, players from Chelsea?

They have one hell of a squad now. Personally not sure Lampard is the man to get them challenging for the title, but then I didn’t think he’d do that well last season, and I was wrong there.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Quite frankly I'm delighted we will be playing them for the first game. I fear that once they start to gel they could get some scores like Liverpool & Man City regularly produce

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Lampard has seen and done it all as a player, I see no reason why he can't continue in that vain as a coach. Good luck to him.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Quite frankly I'm delighted we will be playing them for the first game. I fear that once they start to gel they could get some scores like Liverpool & Man City regularly produce
This, im also hoping that they haven't gelled properly by the time we meet

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lampard has seen and done it all as a player, I see no reason why he can't continue in that vain as a coach. Good luck to him.

Football is littered with examples of people who were top class players but lousy managers. Thinking just of English clubs, just off the top of my head, I can give you Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Mark Lawrenson, Tony Adams, Alan Shearer, Stuart Pearce, Paul Ince etc Given some thought, I'd give plenty more.

Then look at the managers who were very average or mediocre players: Mourinho, Wenger, Klopp, Pulis, Allardyce but have had a long and successful career (the last two may not have won anything but they've managed a lot of clubs and generally done well)

Being a good player and a good manager are definitely not the same thing

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I thought some time ago that Chelsea’s transfer ban might inadvertently do them a favour. They happened to have a fantastic crop of young players coming through; parallels with Manchester United in the mid-90s might have been a bit premature but it’s certainly rare that you get so many top-class youngsters coming through at the same time.

What they appear to be doing is very clever; spending that unspent cash on more soon-to-be world young players who for the most part are probably three or four years away from the beginning of their peak.

I think Chelsea are honest enough to know that they can’t challenge Liverpool or Man City this season, and no amount of money can change that. But they’re playing the long game - what they could have a few years from now could be absolutely incredible.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think this main issue at Chelski is their defence unless they improve that they will struggle to compete with the elite

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Football is littered with examples of people who were top class players but lousy managers. Thinking just of English clubs, just off the top of my head, I can give you Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Mark Lawrenson, Tony Adams, Alan Shearer, Stuart Pearce, Paul Ince etc Given some thought, I'd give plenty more.

Then look at the managers who were very average or mediocre players: Mourinho, Wenger, Klopp, Pulis, Allardyce but have had a long and successful career (the last two may not have won anything but they've managed a lot of clubs and generally done well)

Being a good player and a good manager are definitely not the same thing
We had one as well in Sami Hyypia.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This is the best signing of the lot, Havertz is a wonderful player.

That front four of Havertz, Ziyech, Werner and the brilliant Pulisic are going to take some stopping.

Not convinced about Lampard though. He’s looked tactically naive and totally unsure what to do defensively at times.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Our game against them is definitely a free hit as far as I’m concerned.

I hope if we get well beaten no one reacts to much, it would be expected largely by the mainstream. A point or even better would be fantastic.

I 100% back our man Potter as a coach over Lampard that’s for sure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Accepting it was only a friendly last week, but it must give our boys some confidence that they can compete next week

It was a pretty competitive friendly too, lots of niggly Chelsea fouls, so they were also taking it seriously.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think this main issue at Chelski is their defence unless they improve that they will struggle to compete with the elite

For a top four club, their defence was shocking, particularly from set pieces. He's made no real effort to improve that - Chilwell is great going forward but a bit suspect defensively.

I'm really surprised that he's made no effort to recruit a new centre back

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
For a top four club, their defence was shocking, particularly from set pieces. He's made no real effort to improve that - Chilwell is great going forward but a bit suspect defensively.

I'm really surprised that he's made no effort to recruit a new centre back
Thiago Silva?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thiago Silva?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think that’s their worst signing.

A great CV, but at his age it seems a big gamble to expect him to adapt to a faster, more intense league. The amount of defending required when playing for PSG doesn’t really compare to what he’ll need to do for Chelsea, week in, week out.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Not convinced about Lampard though. He’s looked tactically naive and totally unsure what to do defensively at times.

We hear the term 'tactically naive' a lot particularly on radio phone ins but how exactly do we judge whether someone is tactically naive?

In most cases (and I suspect in this case), the person making the comment is likely to have a tiny fraction of the tactical footballing experience of the person being criticised. Frank Lampard played over 1000 professional football games (mostly at the top level) has managed over 100 games and has spent thousands of hours on the practice pitches. It is likely his tactical knowledge is significant.

My guess is that what is missing is not tactical knowledge, but the ability to manage and implement that tactical knowledge into real game situations in some circumstances.

I am not a Frank Lampard fan by the way. I just don't think professional football managers are tactically naive.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This is the best signing of the lot, Havertz is a wonderful player.

That front four of Havertz, Ziyech, Werner and the brilliant Pulisic are going to take some stopping.

Lampards biggest issue is he has spent a long time working with some incredible players and they have instinctively been tight defensively. He currently has very few decent defenders and plenty of prospects, he would be wise to invest in a defensive coach to help address their development. Beyond that he knows the game inside out and could have a very good management career

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here