Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Brighton's Premier Seafood Restaurants.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
At the end of the month, my wife's family are descending on us en-masse for a long weekend. As we are all fish afficianados, l though a meal at one of our top seaffod establishments would go down really well.

The problem of course, is which one would be the best? Until a few years ago we were regular visitors to the late lamented Fishy Fishy, Dermot O'Leary's former restaurant, but of late we haven't really explored anywhere new.

We know of English's of course, and visited a while back, but to be honest found it rather stuffy and over priced. What would you recommend? Riddle & Finns perhaps? the Salt Room maybe? Or should we venture a bit further and sample the Crab Shack in Worthing?

Or could you recommend others?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'd recommend the salt room, went to Melrose the other day, everything drenched in garlic butter and the lobster was rank

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went to Riddle & Finns last Sunday, stunningly good in my view.

Crab Shack is excellent, looking forward to a trip to Pitch early next month

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Never been let down here

0ef90bfd458d9413e00fe3570d179be7.jpg

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The Little Fish Market is great but perhaps not the best plaice for a large grouper people.

I'm a big fan of The Urchin.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Urchin great but shellfish only
Riddle & Finns is my staple, but always have the Singapore crab at least once a year

Little Fish Market for high end fish only tasting menu

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Little Fish Market is great but perhaps not the best plaice for a large grouper people.

I'm a big fan of The Urchin.

Flip on back to Almeira.
For those that live here, LFM is Brighton's best restaurant, but you'll struggle to get a table, especially at a w/e (I've just tried, and we've got one for four, in November).
Urchin pretty good.
Salt Room has aspirations, especially in its prices (they sometimes do BYO, and that makes it far more appealing).
Although I haven't had it for a while, the salt and pepper crab at Good Friends used to be worth a trip.
Edit: and, yes, Riddle & Finns is worth frequenting in a fishy sense, not that I've been there for a while. Also pricey.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fish is a tricky thing to get right. If you have genuinely fresh fish it can be too " fresh" and can curl up in a frying pan when cooked. Dover Soles and Plaice are at their best after being in the the fridge for a couple of days after landing.

Other fish that is not " local" may have been in the supply chain for a week to ten days and so needs drenching in Garlic and Butter to cover up the smell.

I used to fish for Herring as a boy with my dad and we would often get back about 10pm and he would insist on frying up a couple of Herring and have a slice of bread and butter because " They won't taste as good in the morning".

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here