Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League terminates streaming license with China

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Very interesting.

[tweet]1301482528440758273[/tweet]

Lots of people saying that this is due to the persecution of the Uyghur muslims in the country, with Mesut Özil in particular speaking out recently against their treatment (which, let's be honest, is a genocide). If that's the case then fair play to them for taking action. Certainly is a big move to cut off such a large market.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm sure they'll find a moody stream....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Those three hundred thousand Leeds shirts won’t be selling out now then :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't act like Leeds aren't bigger than the Premier League.

I’m now sold on it and accept that chaining BW to a radiator without food or drink is the only reason he signed a new contract with us.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Huge credit to the PL is that is the real reason. I doubt it though.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Twitter is such a weird thing. In the comments below is a Newcastle fan making a very bitter point about the PL turning down the Saudi takeover. This fella clearly doesn’t see the parallels of a principled objection to China and Saudi (if that is what is happening here).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good... but odd. The PL wont do anything for "moral" reasons like i.e. the treatment of Uyghurs... there's some kind of financial benefit to this, hidden somewhere.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m now sold on it and accept that chaining BW to a radiator without food or drink is the only reason he signed a new contract with us.

Lest we forget "Benny White" sounds a bit like "Terry Waite". Coincidence? I think not.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Twitter is such a weird thing. In the comments below is a Newcastle fan making a very bitter point about the PL turning down the Saudi takeover. This fella clearly doesn’t see the parallels of a principled objection to China and Saudi (if that is what is happening here).

Agree 100%

I think the Geordies have a campaign to hijack every twitter thread regarding football to highlight their annoyance with the PL over the Saudi (NON) takeover.

They did it on a couple of ours.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

A lot of them have very similar bios and type the same. I'm sure 80%+ are Saudi bots or people being paid to tweet it.

As mentioned above, the termination is due to missed payments by Chinese broadcaster PPTV. They'll find someone else in China.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This was the start of an article which was in this morning's Athletic email...

The standoff between Chinese streaming service PPTV and the Premier League over a withheld £160 million payment has entered a seventh month, with one expert suggesting the media company has broken its three-year deal with the league after just one season.

In a tweet that has since been deleted, Andrew Collins, the chief executive of Shanghai-based digital sports agency Mailman Group, wrote on Tuesday that PPTV has "terminated" the agreement it struck with English football's top flight in November 2016.

When asked for comment by The Athletic, neither Mailman nor the Premier League wished to do so, while PPTV's parent company, the Chinese retail giant Suning, has not responded to our questions.

English football has already witnessed the exit of Chinese investors at Aston Villa, Northampton Town and Wigan Athletic, with Southampton owner Gao Jisheng also understood to be open to investment in that club. And now the Premier League's most lucrative overseas annual contract in the current three-year rights cycle is at an impasse.

So why has this happened, and what does it mean?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
This was the start of an article which was in this morning's Athletic email...

The standoff between Chinese streaming service PPTV and the Premier League over a withheld £160 million payment has entered a seventh month, with one expert suggesting the media company has broken its three-year deal with the league after just one season.

In a tweet that has since been deleted, Andrew Collins, the chief executive of Shanghai-based digital sports agency Mailman Group, wrote on Tuesday that PPTV has "terminated" the agreement it struck with English football's top flight in November 2016.

When asked for comment by The Athletic, neither Mailman nor the Premier League wished to do so, while PPTV's parent company, the Chinese retail giant Suning, has not responded to our questions.

English football has already witnessed the exit of Chinese investors at Aston Villa, Northampton Town and Wigan Athletic, with Southampton owner Gao Jisheng also understood to be open to investment in that club. And now the Premier League's most lucrative overseas annual contract in the current three-year rights cycle is at an impasse.

So why has this happened, and what does it mean?

Why? Perhaps state pressure exerted on businesses to sever ties to the west in direct response to UK/US foreign policy with China?

What does it mean? For the Prem and associated teams a huge hit financially with very little chance to plug the gap with another overseas market. Essentially meaning all the clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly to the financial implications.

Put simply the money is unlikely to re-appear in the short term and I’d expect the possibility of one or two poorly run clubs going into admin in the next two years.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The less money in the game, the better. More reset button pressing please, and if China now wants to follow the Bunda etc BRILLIANT! “We got our sport back, we got our sport back!”

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why? Perhaps state pressure exerted on businesses to sever ties to the west in direct response to UK/US foreign policy with China?

What does it mean? For the Prem and associated teams a huge hit financially with very little chance to plug the gap with another overseas market. Essentially meaning all the clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly to the financial implications.

Put simply the money is unlikely to re-appear in the short term and I’d expect the possibility of one or two poorly run clubs going into admin in the next two years.

It’s wonderful isn’t it?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here