Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lineker Lodge

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
They don't what mate?

And where do I have the £150m rip off from? Er, every major news agency in the world......

Edit - just seen the bold bit sorry. Yes immigration contributes more to the UK economy than it costs. Widely known fact. Check the stats.

Aah. I see the problem.

The “news” consistently conflate EU migrants...who contribute far more than Brits in just about every way..with non EEA migration
Which impacts negatively in every measurable metric other than the very low skilled employment market.

The issue is fudged over and over again in many ways.

Off the top of my head the main facts are:
Eu migrants are usually skilled and have a marketable edge. When they retire they will typically go home so are a low impact on pensions and the NHS.

Non EEA migrants and refugees will often have low or non traceable skills, lower language skills and will often have more dependants...they also tend to stay so eventually become dependant on healthcare whilst having contributed far less.

The fact that the U.K. has a very large non EEA population means that exploitation, poor housing and pressures on local services have increased...not everywhere obviously, but in high population areas.

Cultural differences between EU and non EU people are wider so cost is incurred in increasing access to places of worship (for example) to meet demand.

The fact the BBC fail to break this down for us and the papers skirt these issues doesn’t mean it isn’t so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trolling? What in god's name are you on about? Just because you struggle with a basic statistic, I'm trolling? Lol. :lolol:

I'm stepping away now as I'll not be drawn in by idiot racists (yes, I realise I just was but I'm out now).

View attachment 127961

Blimey, do you know what, that's exactly what I thought you meant.

:lolol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Trolling? What in god's name are you on about? Just because you struggle with a basic statistic, I'm trolling? Lol. :lolol:

I'm stepping away now as I'll not be drawn in by idiot racists (yes, I realise I just was but I'm out now).

View attachment 127961

Ahh, developed. Very different to populated, but thank you anyway.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Genuine question - why is it the migrants are so desperate to cross the channel?

I totally understand that they want to leave their country due to a number of reasons, but I dont understand why they would risk their own lives to leave France.

France is a wonderful country and I am sure they look after migrants in a similar way to the UK.

So why risk your life to cross the channel? Why not stay in France as it is a very nice and safe country? Are they promised something wonderful by people traffickers?

https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-re...ing-violence-against-people-helping-refugees/
French authorities have harassed, intimidated and even violently assaulted people offering humanitarian aid and other support to migrants, asylum seekers and refugees in northern France in a deliberate attempt to curtail acts of solidarity, a new report by Amnesty International has found.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/01/french-police-step-up-calais-refugee-evictions
French police have stepped up attempts to drive out refugees from Calais, with camp evictions in the area running at a record 20 clearances a week, according to comprehensive new analysis. ... The report, to be released on Wednesday, also documents alleged levels of violence and intimidation by French police against refugees with almost 1,000 complaints collated by researchers during the 12 months to November.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/17/paris-uk-migrants-attacks-abuse-study
Hundreds of refugees living rough in Paris, many of whom hoped to reach the UK, claim they have been subject to abuse from French citizens, including physical attacks and sexual violence, according to new research. From a sample of almost 300 refugees – around 10% of the 2,950 migrants sleeping rough in the French capital – it emerged that 42% of respondents did not feel safe.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-re...bused-choked-and-threatened-police-new-report
Human rights defenders say abuse, intimidation and threats of arrest by French authorities have become “part and parcel of their daily work”. 72 recorded instances of police abuse and harassment against volunteers – with real number likely to be much higher. One volunteer tells Amnesty she was violently pushed to the ground and choked by police

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/f...tizens-crimes-solidarity-170122064151841.html
Paris, France - Trying to ward off the overnight cold with a blanket donated by volunteers, Muktar Ali was sleeping rough in the north of Paris when at about 4:30am, the police returned. He and several other Eritreans say they were pushed, prodded and kicked by police clearing the area. "Police took everything I had - clothes, shoes, blanket - and threw it all away," said Ali, 33, who had fled forced conscription in Eritrea and was held captive by rebels in Libya before crossing the Mediterranean Sea to Europe. Now, he's among many refugees living on the streets of Paris, who have been subjected to displacement, detention and deportations.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ct-report-research-beating-cold-a7575376.html
Refugees sleeping on the streets in freezing conditions in Paris are having their blankets and sleeping bags stolen by police while being “violently” forced to move on, a report has found. Research exclusively published by The Independent shows that men, women and children are being beaten and tear gassed by officers in the French capital, despite government pledges to shelter vulnerable people.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
who has an open door policy?

Indeed. We do not and never have had an open door policy.

Let in nobody.

Let in everybody.

Is that really what intelligent people imagine are the options?

That really isn't what the government is playing with here. Small margins designed to maintain cheap labour while not pissing off too many racists. A tough balancing act.

Ironically my view is we do let in 'too many' people, but most of this is legal and done to fill up low paid jobs with cheap labour (the Enoch Powell strategy in continuance). I object to the importation of cheap labour because it is a false economy, unfair to the locals who are priced out of a job and the immigrants who become a low paid underclass. Pay the locals a proper wage and [MENTION=5076]Bevendean Hillbilly[/MENTION] will suddenly find his staff are no loger a mix of Indonesians, Africans etc. The open door will have disappeared.

But in the meantime, FFS, let's have a better way of dealing with refugees. Some poor cow died of starvation last week because she'd been let in (because we cannot control our borders) then left to rot. How is that good?

Trouble is dealing with immigration (legal and illegal) costs money, and the gammmonistas don't want any money spent on it. An "immigration reception and repatriation centre"? In my back yard? Don't build that in my town! Let then live in bed and breakfast accomodation with no assistance apart from charity! That'll work. None will want to come, then.

Yet they still come.

Anyway, I'm white and well off and it isn't my problem so why I bother even opening these threads is beyond me.....

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-re...ing-violence-against-people-helping-refugees/
French authorities have harassed, intimidated and even violently assaulted people offering humanitarian aid and other support to migrants, asylum seekers and refugees in northern France in a deliberate attempt to curtail acts of solidarity, a new report by Amnesty International has found.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/01/french-police-step-up-calais-refugee-evictions
French police have stepped up attempts to drive out refugees from Calais, with camp evictions in the area running at a record 20 clearances a week, according to comprehensive new analysis. ... The report, to be released on Wednesday, also documents alleged levels of violence and intimidation by French police against refugees with almost 1,000 complaints collated by researchers during the 12 months to November.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/17/paris-uk-migrants-attacks-abuse-study
Hundreds of refugees living rough in Paris, many of whom hoped to reach the UK, claim they have been subject to abuse from French citizens, including physical attacks and sexual violence, according to new research. From a sample of almost 300 refugees – around 10% of the 2,950 migrants sleeping rough in the French capital – it emerged that 42% of respondents did not feel safe.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-re...bused-choked-and-threatened-police-new-report
Human rights defenders say abuse, intimidation and threats of arrest by French authorities have become “part and parcel of their daily work”. 72 recorded instances of police abuse and harassment against volunteers – with real number likely to be much higher. One volunteer tells Amnesty she was violently pushed to the ground and choked by police

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/f...tizens-crimes-solidarity-170122064151841.html
Paris, France - Trying to ward off the overnight cold with a blanket donated by volunteers, Muktar Ali was sleeping rough in the north of Paris when at about 4:30am, the police returned. He and several other Eritreans say they were pushed, prodded and kicked by police clearing the area. "Police took everything I had - clothes, shoes, blanket - and threw it all away," said Ali, 33, who had fled forced conscription in Eritrea and was held captive by rebels in Libya before crossing the Mediterranean Sea to Europe. Now, he's among many refugees living on the streets of Paris, who have been subjected to displacement, detention and deportations.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ct-report-research-beating-cold-a7575376.html
Refugees sleeping on the streets in freezing conditions in Paris are having their blankets and sleeping bags stolen by police while being “violently” forced to move on, a report has found. Research exclusively published by The Independent shows that men, women and children are being beaten and tear gassed by officers in the French capital, despite government pledges to shelter vulnerable people.

Thanks very much.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Funny is it?

Gammon: why don’t you put a refugee up in your mansion?
Lineker: Okay.
Gammon: Errrrrr.

Sometimes I why I even bother trying to be polite.

I'm off too, now all the pork has arrived.

:thumbsup:

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I am an immigrant.

I live in the US.

My grandfather was an immigrant - but he was from Ireland.

You can see people just want to respond, “but it’s OK mate, you’re not one of them”.

I’m white.

Looking forward to replies from anyone who has traced their family tree back over 500 years and has no one born outside of England in their family and therefore in their genetic make-up.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
“Hands up who wants to stay at Gary’s “
61923bc40fdf6b1e58dae1f8f5887c14.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

View attachment 127961

Oh, before I go, who was the bit about ‘racist’ directed at?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Genuine question - why is it the migrants are so desperate to cross the channel?

I totally understand that they want to leave their country due to a number of reasons, but I dont understand why they would risk their own lives to leave France.

France is a wonderful country and I am sure they look after migrants in a similar way to the UK.

So why risk your life to cross the channel? Why not stay in France as it is a very nice and safe country? Are they promised something wonderful by people traffickers?

1: Many have relatives here already.
2: The British government are not doing enough to abolish modern slavery which many of these people fall into as part of the crossing.

3: ( Conspiracy) The French are assisting their passage....

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
perhaps GL could have said . . . .heres £50k toward a 'lodge' for 3 months . . . . and suggested a few other minters chip in too . . .thereby putting themselves in the philanthropic sector whilst legitimately questioning the latest press porkies and distancing themselves from the S*n/Mail twatzone.

it would be offset against tax so be little more than a few days wages.

The problem with donating money is that the sad ****s would just come back with the standard 'oh well you earn xxxx anyway so it's nothing to you, do something worthwhile instead of throwing money at it'.

If he's happy housing one, or more, then fair play to him personally.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I have asked this a few times, but can someone enlighten me as I’m genuinely interested, what is the answer to the issue?

Allow everyone? Allow based on certain things? Disallow all? Only allow certain nations? Genuinely interested, as I see a lot of people are expressing thoughts as to the fact that we as a country should be more welcoming, I would like to know, usual suspects and unsympathetic entitled tw*ts aside, I genuinely can’t answer how the issue can be solved in a way that is right.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
How much do taxpayers contribute to the costs of new Mosques, temples and Gurdwaras ?

Access to doesn’t mean taxpayer funded mosques. I’m talking more about infrastructure and adaptions to roads, public lands, tax exemptions, curricular changes, language adaptions, public transport links, access to parking etc etc.

This isn’t my main concern though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Most of them don't of course. Last year France accepted twice as many asylum seekers as the UK (France is the second most popular destination after Germany)

But those who do leave France to come here are almost certainly doing it for one of two reasons: family over here or language. English is, by some distance, the most widely spoken second language in the world so, unless they're coming from a francophone country in Africa, refugees will tend to head for an anglophone country

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I have asked this a few times, but can someone enlighten me as I’m genuinely interested, what is the answer to the issue?

Allow everyone? Allow based on certain things? Disallow all? Only allow certain nations? Genuinely interested, as I see a lot of people are expressing thoughts as to the fact that we as a country should be more welcoming, I would genuinely like to know, usual suspects and unsympathetic entitled tw*ts aside, I genuinely can’t answer how the issue can be solved in a way that is right.

No one can.
Sweeping statements about unrestricted access does not allow for debate about the inevitable impact whereas over enthusiastic restriction is a bit...well..Nazi.

The oft proclaimed benefits are matched (at least) by the negatives at the moment so parity is key.

No government had EVER got this right.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here