Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lineker Lodge

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
These people? That’s the problem with lumping them altogether. Some are good and some are bad. Some get settled status and some get deported.

Razan Alsous & her family fled Syria. She was a pharmacist there. When they arrived they had nothing but she realised that people loved cheese and she could make very good haloumi cheese. With a sense of humour she marketed it on a local market stall as Yorkshire Sqeaky Cheese. She now employs 12 people.

Hassan also fled Syria, who had been an English teacher. He now works as a hospital cleaner.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/21/syrian-refugee-video-white-cliffs-dover-13158545/

Everyone has a different story. We have to trust the Immigration services to weed out the true refugees, and they will get some wrong, notably the Lebanese refugees whose sons were the Ariana Grande bombers.

Sorry if this comes across as lecturing but it upsets me when they are labelled.

‘These people’ Yes, as far as I’m aware they are people. It’s not a derogatory term to reference them as such.

If you’re pointing out individuals that have been a success story you should also add in figures as to how much the issues with migrants crossing the channel costs the U.K. every year and how much people trafficking gangs make from these desperate people. I really do sympathise and honestly I don’t have an answer to the issue, because I’m torn between my conscious and like I said, the unfortunate fact that deciphering who should be ‘allowed’ in and who shouldn’t is in some ways, equally as bad as saying no to everyone regardless of need.

Lineker, I like as a football pundit, but his view of the world is unbelievably simplistic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Even if those figures are correct, it's really not that many is it.

People getting their knickers in a twist over a few hundred desperate people trying to save their lives. Why?

Most of them will end up in detention centres as they were sold the lie that the streets here are paved with gold, when they aren't.

The lucky ones who get asylum will receive basically **** all until they manage to get a job. Which is difficult when you're living in a hovel with barely enough money to eat.

My Mrs works at the college here, in admissions. She's sees the reality of these poor ******** lives. Just trying to make a life here and better themselves but with the odds stacked against them.

There are plenty of things to get angry about at the moment. I'd start with the government paying £150m to a dodgy company for PPE which didn't work. That's one hundred and fifty million pounds, pissed up the wall, or rather scammed from the country.

While the Mail and the Sun ramp up hatred against people with nothing, the real criminals are in charge, fleecing us for everything they can get.

Oh and fair play to Gary. At least he's backing up his words with actions. I think he's a decent bloke.

*Cough* Racism *cough*

:shrug:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Even if those figures are correct, it's really not that many is it.

People getting their knickers in a twist over a few hundred desperate people trying to save their lives. Why?

Most of them will end up in detention centres as they were sold the lie that the streets here are paved with gold, when they aren't.

The lucky ones who get asylum will receive basically **** all until they manage to get a job. Which is difficult when you're living in a hovel with barely enough money to eat.

My Mrs works at the college here, in admissions. She's sees the reality of these poor ******** lives. Just trying to make a life here and better themselves but with the odds stacked against them.

There are plenty of things to get angry about at the moment. I'd start with the government paying £150m to a dodgy company for PPE which didn't work. That's one hundred and fifty million pounds, pissed up the wall, or rather scammed from the country.

While the Mail and the Sun ramp up hatred against people with nothing, the real criminals are in charge, fleecing us for everything they can get.

Oh and fair play to Gary. At least he's backing up his words with actions. I think he's a decent bloke.

There's enough empty commercial buildings to put 700 people up temporarily without getting through Kent.

If the army can build a white elephant hospital in a week . . . . . it's not a question of possible or capable, more the desire to help, or even give a shit. Which clearly the majority don't, brexit tells you all you need to know about how nimby selfish and uncaring a nation we are.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
These people? That’s the problem with lumping them altogether. Some are good and some are bad. Some get settled status and some get deported.

Razan Alsous & her family fled Syria. She was a pharmacist there. When they arrived they had nothing but she realised that people loved cheese and she could make very good haloumi cheese. With a sense of humour she marketed it on a local market stall as Yorkshire Sqeaky Cheese. She now employs 12 people.

Hassan also fled Syria, who had been an English teacher. He now works as a hospital cleaner.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/21/syrian-refugee-video-white-cliffs-dover-13158545/

Everyone has a different story. We have to trust the Immigration services to weed out the true refugees, and they will get some wrong, notably the Lebanese refugees whose sons were the Ariana Grande bombers.

Sorry if this comes across as lecturing but it upsets me when they are labelled.

It's simple. Lump them all together then you can dismiss them. It's how we dealth with 'The Jewish problem' in the 30s and 'The Blacks' in the 70s.

It's called racism.

Well done, [MENTION=14080]The Wizard[/MENTION]. I actually thought you were a bit better than that :facepalm:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The answer of course is to tax people like Lineker properly. And (amongst many other things we need to improve through taxation) pay for a humane, well managed and fair system to cope with the (relatively low) numbers of people that arrive on our shores seeking refuge, security, opportunity, better lives for their families etc.

With this number of arrivals continuing to increase, would you say that here may be a limit at some stage regarding our ability as a nation to provide such refuge, security, opportunity and better life?

Not all higher rate tax payers earn the £4m Lineker salary, and already pay a significant amount via PAYE.

It is already evident that future state pensions for residents having paid a lifetime of contributions might be at risk due to decreasing funding. I have no idea what it may be, but every system has a limit where it cannot cope any further.

The fact that we're boracic now, and will be for many years, won't help either.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
With this number of arrivals continuing to increase, would you say that here may be a limit at some stage regarding our ability as a nation to provide such refuge, security, opportunity and better life?

Not all higher rate tax payers earn the £4m Lineker salary, and already pay a significant amount via PAYE.

It is already evident that future state pensions for residents having paid a lifetime of contributions might be at risk due to decreasing funding. I have no idea what it may be, but every system has a limit where it cannot cope any further.

If you're concerned about the drain on public finances then stop looking at immigrants (who actually contribute a net amount) and start looking at things like HS2, or the new nuclear power station (which will probably never work).

This is BILLIONS of money being totally wasted because a few people will get very rich from it.

The £150m PPE con must surely have made the most blinkered of Tory supporters at least think "Hmmm, that's a bit dodgy".

Why care about immigration when the government is raping the public purse for their own gain? They're not even being sly about it now. It's blatant.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If you're concerned about the drain on public finances then stop looking at immigrants (who actually contribute a net amount) and start looking at things like HS2, or the new nuclear power station (which will probably never work).

This is BILLIONS of money being totally wasted because a few people will get very rich from it.

The £150m PPE con must surely have made the most blinkered of Tory supporters at least think "Hmmm, that's a bit dodgy".

Why care about immigration when the government is raping the public purse for their own gain? They're not even being sly about it now. It's blatant.

So no answer to my questions then?

HS2, PPE and Power Stations.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Sorry NSC. I’m with Douglas Murray on this one....and Sam Harris...and Christopher Hitchens...RIP.

It is not a net benefit to us to have folks coming in en masse with no restriction.

It is possible to be hugely sympathetic towards them and want to help out but an open door policy is completely nuts.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

The limit on public resources is directly affected by what the government spends money on.

At present, the billions being syphoned off by government vanity projects and blatantly dodgy backhanders eclipses the potential cost of a few thousand refugees.

This is a fact. Hope it answerers your question.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The limit on public resources is directly affected by what the government spends money on.

At present, the billions being syphoned off by government vanity projects and blatantly dodgy backhanders eclipses the potential cost of a few thousand refugees.

This is a fact. Hope it answerers your question.

Nope, but the best I'm going to get apparently.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If you're concerned about the drain on public finances then stop looking at immigrants who actually contribute a net amount) and start looking at things like HS2, or the new nuclear power station (which will probably never work).

Can I ask where you have that from LL.?

Because, they don’t, and I would like to understand why you would believe such a patent load of rubbish.

Actually...just about every position you hold on these subjects is factually wrong so can you support all of these statements.

In the interests of friendship and balance.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Can I ask where you have that from LL?

Because, they don’t, and I would like to understand why you would believe such a patent load of rubbish.

They don't what mate?

And where do I have the £150m rip off from? Er, every major news agency in the world......

Edit - just seen the bold bit sorry. Yes immigration contributes more to the UK economy than it costs. Widely known fact. Check the stats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funny. The gammons weren’t expecting that were they :lolol:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

your question was essentially "is there a limit?" yes? The previous poster did answer your question with the answer that the limit will be a lot higher if the government wasn't spunking money where it's not needing and addressing real issues that ACTUALLY drain our resources

there is a limit- we don't take every refugee on earth and in fact don't take many at all compared with a lot of our fellow big economies

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Sorry NSC. I’m with Douglas Murray on this one....and Sam Harris...and Christopher Hitchens...RIP.

It is not a net benefit to us to have folks coming in en masse with no restriction.

It is possible to be hugely sympathetic towards them and want to help out but an open door policy is completely nuts.

who has an open door policy?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
there is a limit- we don't take every refugee on earth and in fact don't take many at all compared with a lot of our fellow big economies

This limit.

Would you base it upon costs of providing the shelter, or add in the infrastructure needed to provide increased demand? With jobs also at a premium for the next few years at least, can you possibly see more demand than ever placed upon the welfare system?

I think the Covid figures clearly illustrated that we are quite a densely populated island.

Lineker's gesture should be duplicated by every resident, so existing homes can be utilised more fully.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Adding this to your original and sarcastically titled post I would suggest that you less want views (which are pretty known for most members) and more to start another immigration thread.

There are and have been plenty.

Might as well just put this in the Pretty Pink Pit now. It will serve no purpose on the main board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here