Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Albion] How good was Jake Robinson?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Slightly worrying that a man of 56 wakes up thinking about a former Albion striker šŸ˜‚

But how good was Jake, I remember Dean Wilkins keeping him away from the press the night he became Albionā€™s youngest ever scorer in the Rolf Harris Paint Pot at the Withdean.

Ultimately did he underachieve given his ability, weighed down by our collective expectation or was he over hyped?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lightweight but skilful and frustrating to watch is my recollection

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A promising youngster who did not develop into the player we thought he might do. A good lower division man.

Iā€™m not sure he even had much success in the lower leagues did he ? Unless you mean non league.

Agreed always seemed a bit too lightweight

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Saw him play as a youngster, about 14/15 for the youth team at Lancing College and he was the best kid I have seen play at that age group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
listening to the albion podcast with him on, seems like confidence was an issue for him

very gifted player but lacked a couple of things that would have taken him to the next level. Still is our youngest ever player and scored 2 hat tricks though so not a bad career

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Too short and not enough upper body strength...... otherwise he had everything.

Non league career excellent..... 133 goals in 243 games for Whitehawk, Hemel Hemstead, Maidstone and now on fire at 33 at Billericay.

That's more than a goal every two games!!!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Never ever forget the brilliant Huddersfield hat-trick.

Good player in there somewhere. If he could have added the bustle and courage of Barnes, and the positioning and finishing capability of Forster, he would have made top level. A good lad. And a great song thanks to Simon & Garfunkel.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Denton Destroyer. One for the longer standing residents.

When asked by a friend whether Jake would make it to the top one of the senior players shook his head and tapped his temple. Jake did have a decent career though. And he was a reason to be cheerful when we needed it.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Much maligned by some of our fanvase which was a shame for a young player trying to make his mark in the game. Wasn't the first though and probably won't be the last, remember the sickening abuse Colin Hawkins used to get.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Always felt he was exciting on the ball, and as others have said the Huddersfield hat trick...

I wonder how heā€™ll feel when he looks back....

Good non-league record.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
listening to the albion podcast with him on, seems like confidence was an issue for him

very gifted player but lacked a couple of things that would have taken him to the next level. Still is our youngest ever player and scored 2 hat tricks though so not a bad career

Heā€™s still our youngest ever scorer, but not player - Jake Forster Caskey made his debut a little younger.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Much maligned by some of our fanvase which was a shame for a young player trying to make his mark in the game. Wasn't the first though and probably won't be the last, remember the sickening abuse Colin Hawkins used to get.

I was appalled that the fans never gave young Colin Hawkins the support he deserved too :rolleyes:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Good little striker, Jake. Capable of great moments. He certainly could have been managed better although I donā€™t think he had it in him to be a consistent championship-level goal scorer. Maybe league one.
The podcast on him tells you everything you need to know.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Itā€™s slightly ironic that he broke the club record to become the youngest player and goalscorer, but is now said to be playing his best football at 33 and is sometimes spoken of as a ā€˜late developerā€™.

I wonder if Jake had been born a decade later and had benefited from the set up we now have at Lancing, things might have been different (Iā€™m talking physical and personal development as well as our present-day belief in giving players a chance to excel at a lower level before throwing them into the first team). Back then, he was always outmuscled and, by his own admission, didnā€™t always have the focus you need as a young player coming through the ranks.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I fvcking loved him. His hair was magnificent.

Not sure if Buzzer is still on here (wish you better mate...much love) but I remember a bag search at Withdean where his man pouch was rifled by security and a set of straighteners was discovered...All to replicate Jakey Robinsonā€™s flowing locks as he tore into the box!

Loved Robinson and Cox although I wish Tiny Cox wasnā€™t ALWAYS on corners.

He must have been shit hot at set pieces in training but Pony in competitive games. Always stopped by the first man.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Has proved over many years in non league is able to take chances.. However higher level you go movement and awareness need to be greater. Sad that he didnt last longer with us and was surprised he didnt do better when he left us. Would be good to have a centre forward do well for us. A big season coming up for Connelly.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Was it a Huddersfield away where him and a Cox tore them a new one? Came away from that game thinking we had two incredible youngsters, never quite hit the same heights after that, although I remember Cox scoring some stunners in amongst all the crosses that hit the first man :lolol:

Ultimately I think he was a player who burst onto the scene and was quickly found out, nice lad by all accounts shame he didnā€™t have a notable league career

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here