Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cars - Is there nothing they can't do? Gawd bless'em.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Good. It can't come soon enough. Not only visually impaired people but people with pushchairs, wheelchairs etc. And it is extremely anti-social to every pedestrian.

I find it most annoying though when I am trying to ride my bike and some stupid car or van blocks the pavement. :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good. It can't come soon enough. Not only visually impaired people but people with pushchairs, wheelchairs etc. And it is extremely anti-social to every pedestrian.

I find it most annoying though when I am trying to ride my bike and some stupid car or van blocks the pavement. :facepalm:

Why aren't you in the cycle lane?...

...oh.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Litter and disrespect shown to disabled people (parking on pavements, using allowed spaces without a blue badge and stampeding past on public transport without waiting and or nicking their seats etc) makes my blood boil. I often call it out, normally get abuse back but I hope it might, might, just make them think twice next time.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I think Bear road (westbound) Brighton, should be of major concern with the footway being parked on by selfish idiots completely blocking pedestrian access. It amazes me every time I have to use this road how many vehicles are parked there and I have never seen any official intervention to prevent this !

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Consultation begins on banning pavement parking in England

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ent-parking-in-england?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Recent research from charity Guide Dogs indicated that 32% of people with visual impairments and 48% of wheelchair users are less keen to go out on their own because of antisocial pavement parking.

As an occasional cyclist and full time car driver I normally find myself disagreeing with you. Not on this.

Selfish, arrogant, dangerous, lazy, stupid, inept, idiotic, risky parking boils my piss. It can force pedestrians into the road, along with pushchairs, prams, wheelchairs and toddlers on trainer bikes, and if done near a street corner, as it often is, then it spoils sight lines for drivers too. Endangering others yet again. Grrrrrrrrr.......

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Beyond trades people who need to use vans/cars and people who need cars for mobility purposes people should be encouraged onto public transport and cycling, walking more also and out of cars. It’s the age old issue, more money needs pumping into public transport and I’m guessing the government does financially well out of the car industry so the incentive to erode it isn’t there. People think they’ll lose their freedom if they give up their cars, trust me, the opposite is the case, you reclaim it once you are free of the hellish car rat race and the horrendous expense of car ownership.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Beyond trades people who need to use vans/cars and people who need cars for mobility purposes people should be encouraged onto public transport and cycling, walking more also and out of cars. It’s the age old issue, more money needs pumping into public transport and I’m guessing the government does financially well out of the car industry so the incentive to erode it isn’t there. People think they’ll lose their freedom if they give up their cars, trust me, the opposite is the case, you reclaim it once you are free of the hellish car rat race and the horrendous expense of car ownership.

Have to agree and disagree with this. Yes it'll be good to stop people parking on the pavement, but there is no way I would want to sacrifice a fifteen minute drive for a twenty minute bus ride-ten minute train-fifteen minute walk just to get to work! Same with my location to cycle to work, I am in no fit state physically or mentally to want to subject myself to forty five minutes minimum riding up hill and down dale. Imagine my view on this with torrential rain and a sou'westerly as I weave my merry way to sompting five days a week.
Lose the cars in town by all means, pain in the arse getting down there but don't think for one second I'm mingling with the great unwashed just because some bunny hugger likes others around them first thing in the morning!!!!
I DON'T DO MORNINGS!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

over £30bn in fuel and road duties. thats before the economic input of car sales, manufacturing (yes, we do), servicing, about 400k employed. they could all work on buses, when we have a fleet servicing every street in every town and village several times a day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
over £30bn in fuel and road duties. thats before the economic input of car sales, manufacturing (yes, we do), servicing, about 400k employed. they could all work on buses, when we have a fleet servicing every street in every town and village several times a day.

But how much does the government spend on:-

- Car crimes
- RTA's
- The NHS
- Obesity
- Pollution
- Diabetes.

As said last week, were it not for cars we'd have wasted this Sussex police officers wages, the other night:-

[tweet]1299287859237707777[/tweet]

What price do you put on this lads head not to mention that of his family and let's be honest that of the 32 year old women who killed him and her family?

Hulme crash: Boy, 6, on bike dies after being hit by car

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53694616

Or the 5 other people (on average) that were killed by cars, that day and every day since.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ent-parking-in-england?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Recent research from charity Guide Dogs indicated that 32% of people with visual impairments and 48% of wheelchair users are less keen to go out on their own because of antisocial pavement parking.

Consultation, now there’s a new way of doing things..

FTR pavement parkers imo are a menace.

Bear Road is a shocker, it’s gettingso bad two cars in some places can’t pass, double yellows all the way up on the opposite side would solve that instantly!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Consultation, now there’s a new way of doing things..

FTR pavement parkers imo are a menace.

Bear Road is a shocker, it’s gettingso bad two cars in some places can’t pass, double yellows all the way up on the opposite side would solve that instantly!

Pavement parking. I hate it too. The thing is, 'we' have too many cars and not enough off road parking. And many people with garages don't put cars in them. Pavement parking means there is still room to drive along the road. The interim solution might be one way street conversions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Don't worry. One of the resident right wing nobbers will be along in a minute to start a rival thread urging right thinking people to ban, and possibly repatriate, those uppity cyclists.

Oh, hang on, my prescience was insufficiently nimble :facepalm:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
But how much does the government spend on:-

- Car crimes
- RTA's
- The NHS
- Obesity
- Pollution
- Diabetes.

As said last week, were it not for cars we'd have wasted this Sussex police officers wages, the other night:-

[tweet]1299287859237707777[/tweet]

What price do you put on this lads head not to mention that of his family and let's be honest that of the 32 year old women who killed him and her family?

Hulme crash: Boy, 6, on bike dies after being hit by car

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53694616

Or the 5 other people (on average) that were killed by cars, that day and every day since.

That officer is a one man robocop. If you’re driving out West beware the Van der Wee and make sure all your lights are working and your tyre tread is the requisite depth.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But how much does the government spend on:-.

NHS is about £177bn. i dont think there are breakdowns for money spent on RTAs specifically. cost of car related insurance claims ~8bn, though thats not government spending.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Pavement parking in this area is rife. The problem is, however, that many side/residential roads would be impassable without it as the roads are too narrow and many houses do not have garages. Even the main A68 through some of the villages is a nightmare if cars park on the road. A major rethink is needed really as not only is pavement parking extremely dangerous and anti-social, at some point in the near future charging points will have to go somewhere too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The big question is how will this be enforced.

Could be a good job creation scheme as 1000s of traffic wardens are employed to walk residential roads 24/7.

As mentioned in the article, there is a need to ensure that this doesn't lead to narrow road space so that emergency vehicles, buses, dustcarts are unable to access roads.

Also will it lead to even more double parking by delivery vehicles.

And one for the climate changes will this lead to even more front gardens being dug up and replaced with concrete for a parking space and the dropped pavement that goes with it. So less green, flowers, trees which will result in water running into the drains rather than seeping into the ground, so more flooding when drains are blocked?

Hopefully more planning goes into this than the temporary cycle lanes.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The big question is how will this be enforced.

Could be a good job creation scheme as 1000s of traffic wardens are employed to walk residential roads 24/7.

As mentioned in the article, there is a need to ensure that this doesn't lead to narrow road space so that emergency vehicles, buses, dustcarts are unable to access roads.

Also will it lead to even more double parking by delivery vehicles.

And one for the climate changes will this lead to even more front gardens being dug up and replaced with concrete for a parking space and the dropped pavement that goes with it. So less green, flowers, trees which will result in water running into the drains rather than seeping into the ground, so more flooding when drains are blocked?

Hopefully more planning goes into this than the temporary cycle lanes.

Well thankfully there at least appears to be a “consultation”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here