Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Any builders/plasterers seen this before

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Internal kitchen ceiling, previously ex-council.
Never seen a ceiling like this, my guess is some sort of insulation or sound proofing.
Any ideas?

D96138BC-5977-464A-9134-B737BCF16270.jpeg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It looks like the old stramit board. Compressed straw used for insulation. Often came with plasterboard stuck to it........ That or you got pterodactyls nesting in the roof space.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
An old form of thermal insulation?

In our house, completed in 1941, it’s literally millions of tiny loose beads. Making a hell of a mess when opened up from below, for various works.

Not that Vermiculite stuff? Don't want to be alarmist but a lot of that was shipped from Montana and was contaminated with asbestos.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
looks like wood wool panels. shavings of wood bonded with cement.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Definitely stramit board, compressed straw. Should not have any asbestos concerns because if fire resistance was required borax would’ve been used.
Thanks, not come across this before but a little googling would have you spot on.
Was obviously worried about risks of asbestos

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not that Vermiculite stuff? Don't want to be alarmist but a lot of that was shipped from Montana and was contaminated with asbestos.

Genuinely thanks for this, I wasn’t aware. Yes, it would be Vermucilte. The power of the internet, checking online, little Vermiculite was imported to the UK from that Libby mine, Montana. You’re quite right, 100’s died in that one town alone from the asbestos, terrible stuff. Banned since 1990.

Vermiculite from any other mine/quarry is completely harmless.

Last edited:

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Genuinely thanks for this, I wasn’t aware. Yes, it would be Vermucilte. The power of the internet, checking online, little Vermiculite was imported to the UK from that Libby mine, Montana. You’re quite right, 100’s died in that one town alone from the asbestos, terrible stuff. Banned since 1990.

Vermiculite from any other mine/quarry is completely harmless.
Ah, that's good to know.

I just remembered when we moved down from Glasgow in the 60's, the roof of our house had a layer of the stuff and the old man wanting shot if it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ah, that's good to know.

I just remembered when we moved down from Glasgow in the 60's, the roof of our house had a layer of the stuff and the old man wanting shot if it.

If you moved down from Glasgow just having a roof was cool wasn’t it ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oh yes, it's the bit where you don't get stabbed straight away....as long as you're wearing the right scarf.:D

Seriously, it's a friendly city and great fun. If you've never been, give it a go.

I was there in February to see my son run at the Emerates Arena in the British indoor athletics championships. He did well and me and Mrs Q had a lovely weekend up there. I really did like what I saw of Glasgow and thought the people were great as you say....... when I could understand them ... Hope I get to go again.
I’ve never seen so many pissed people on a Sunday afternoon in the pub we went in for Haggis, neeps and tattles.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here