Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time of fear?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It’s not a conspiracy if you can check public record against awarded contracts and MPs with investment or activity for said company. One company awarded a PPE contract had been dormant for 4 years, got a contract and supplied a load of shite that wasn’t fit for purpose. Bit naive if you think it’s just conspiracy that there is a lot of money being made out of the public purse - and we should be scrutinising this spending and not just being an electorate of yes men.

like any good conspriacy, you've conflated different things. some contracts for PPE links to MP, so a link is made to government policy on use of general, non-PPE, masks was guided by financial motive. see?

there's always money made out of the public purse, thats a major problem with it. should we not have any PPE, or ensure normal multi month tendering process in the middle of an emergency? there's process of law to follow up were fraud occured. i assume cockups before conspiracy, unapproved or substandard goods were a problem across the world back in the spring.

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Oh for Pete's sake!
.Of course you can find this kind of information if you use an ounce of common sense. Cognitive bias doesn't come into it.
Anyway, it wasn't me who you aimed the original question to, it was Larus, I was only trying to be helpful!
Honestly, you must be living in a parallel universe if you haven't been aware of the concerns expressed!

I have been aware of concerns by members of the public but I have seen very few, if any, credible members of the medical and scientific communities saying they were concerned about more people dying in lockdown than because of the virus :shrug: The medical and scientific consensus on masks, quarantine, isolation etc has been, for the most part, consistent. The interpretation of said science is another story mind you.

And of course there’s cognitive bias when using any search engine. You can find literally anything to back up your opinion especially with the amount of fake news, misinformation, conspiracy theories and ‘bro science’ out there that some people take as gospel. Unless Larus can back up said claim and provide evidence from a reputable source, a request that is perfectly reasonable, people are well within their right to take said opinion with a mountain of salt.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great moderation. :rolleyes:

I'll tell you what is great moderation. To ask why you and [MENTION=33983]BeHereNow[/MENTION] are always on here together. Never apart. You're like Siamese twins who are joined at the brain. I wonder why that is?

Or am I talking unsubstantiated nonsense that doesn't have any real proof in the real world? And how would we tell?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It’s not a conspiracy if you can check public record against awarded contracts and MPs with investment or activity for said company. One company awarded a PPE contract had been dormant for 4 years, got a contract and supplied a load of shite that wasn’t fit for purpose. Bit naive if you think it’s just conspiracy that there is a lot of money being made out of the public purse - and we should be scrutinising this spending and not just being an electorate of yes men.

Clearly there has been some of that going on, whether that was a consideration in the Government guidance on use of masks is debatable, but what is more important now is whether the current advice is correct. I believe it is, and that wearing a mask offers some protection to the wearer and some more protection to those they might come into close proximity to.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick

Don’t forget:
938A826F-1C22-47E9-BCB2-F30FCAC56ED7.jpeg

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I'll tell you what is great moderation. To ask why you and [MENTION=33983]BeHereNow[/MENTION] are always on here together. Never apart. You're like Siamese twins who are joined at the brain. I wonder why that is?

Or am I talking unsubstantiated nonsense that doesn't have any real proof in the real world? And how would we tell?

I don’t engage regularly with forums in general. Twitter is more my thing for shooting the breeze. But sometimes Be Here Now emails and let’s me now if something interesting is being said here. I come and have a perusal and sometimes join in. In this case it was a discussion of an event we’d both attended.

We’re not the same person if that’s what you’re implying. How could you tell? IP addresses, I guess. His will be in Southwick, mine in Rustington.

But back to the original point: moderators are surely there to nip abuse comments in the bud, not write their own.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It’s not fake, nor some sort of hidden agenda.

It’s just a massive over reaction with lockdowns that we are now going to have to pay with more deaths elsewhere, high unemployment and higher taxes.

There is no need for a “new normal” we can go back to pretty much how it was before.

Some Governments are doubling down on the mistakes - Some are seeing the error.

Sweden is showing how it should have been done (minus care homes) and as more evidence comes it backs them up.

Sadly the media and the gov are still running fear headlines

All based on awfully flawed modelling
Agreed. Said from the start of this, the only way out of this is a vaccine that actually works (and everyone takes) or everyone getting the virus and therefore immunity that way.

Everything else is window dressing, lockdown or not, the virus is still there and will come back (as we're already seeing). I understand the need to prevent the health service from being overwhelmed but they've gone about it in a completely cock eyed way.

And don't get me started on the government schemes for the self employed etc.....

What a shambles.

Can't say I'm particularly worried about the breakdown of society though. Plus as usual with the conspiracy theory nutjobs, the truth is incompetence with a smattering of greed rather than anything more outlandish and sinister.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have been aware of concerns by members of the public but I have seen very few, if any, credible members of the medical and scientific communities saying they were concerned about more people dying in lockdown that because of the virus :shrug: The medical and scientific consensus on masks, quarantine, isolation etc has been, for the most part, consistent. The interpretation of said science is another story kind you.

And of course there’s cognitive bias when using any search engine. You can find literally anything to back up your opinion especially with the amount of fake news, misinformation, conspiracy theories and ‘bro science’ out there that some people take as gospel. Unless Larus can back up said claim and provide evidence from a reputable source, a request that is perfectly reasonable, people are well within their right to take said opinion with a mountain of salt.

I have seen some data on the reduction of transplant operations taking place, which will increase the numbers of people dying whilst waiting for a donor, however, a large part of that has been due to a reduction of Road Traffic Accidents, the main source of donors. Kidney transplants have been less affected as they often use a live donor.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don’t engage regularly with forums in general. Twitter is more my thing for shooting the breeze. But sometimes Be Here Now emails and let’s me now if something interesting is being said here. I come and have a perusal and sometimes join in. In this case it was a discussion of an event we’d both attended.

We’re not the same person if that’s what you’re implying. How could you tell? IP addresses, I guess. His will be in Southwick, one in Rustington.

Ah, so there are scientific ways of proving things are true / not true. Perhaps the pair of you ought to apply them to CV19, particularly as you're posting on a forum where a number of members have been personally and tragically affected and tend to get a little upset with halfwits suggesting this is all some kind of population control hoax.

But back to the original point: moderators are surely there to nip abuse comments in the bud, not write their own.

It was a statement of fact.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
like any good conspriacy, you've conflated different things. some contracts for PPE links to MP, so you assume government policy on use of general, non-PPE, masks was guided by financial motive. see?

there's always money made out of the public purse, thats a major problem with it. should we not have any PPE, or ensure normal multi month tendering process in the middle of an emergency? there's process of law to follow up were fraud occured. i assume cockups before conspiracy, unapproved or substandard goods were a problem across the world back in the spring.

I think you’re conflating conspiracy with accountability and evidence based information. If you can’t question motives as part of accountability then we are nowhere. Assumptions being the mother of all ****ups afterall. There is stuff happening right before your eyes that is difficult to just assume a ‘cockup’. This whole ‘it was a problem across the world’ narrative appears to be a get out clause for everything, but evidence, not conspiracy, suggests many countries didn’t have a problem. You just seem prepared to take the government line on trust alone, I’d suggest the public’s trust is being worn rather thin with so many u-turns, so many changes in policy., so many PR led initiatives.

I’m not talking whether Covid is real, or mad theories, I’m just talking basic public accountable governance. I don’t think it’s reasonable to just put it all down to ‘cock-ups’ as you seem content to do.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I have seen some data on the reduction of transplant operations taking place, which will increase the numbers of people dying whilst waiting for a donor, however, a large part of that has been due to a reduction of Road Traffic Accidents, the main source of donors. Kidney transplants have been less affected as they often use a live donor.
Friend of mine is a surgeon. She said that a large part of the reduction in A&E numbers was due to the regular "I've got this mysterious, chronic pain that can't be diagnosed so need some opiates" crew not turning up. Although that didn't last that long as they are now gradually coming back...... She works in Barnsley btw.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Conspiracy theories are often a gateway to the far right. .

Utter bollocks and unnecessary to boot. Conspiracies go both ways, let’s keep it on track huh?

Personally I just feel that the idea of locking down for 2 or 3 years is both not viable economically, nor justifiable to adversely affect many 20 somethings futures to give a smaller number of 80 somethings a little while longer with us.

I worry that governments around the world are of such a fixed mind to beat Corona that they cause bigger problems on the side. Mental health, unemployment, homelessness etc etc......and remember, I am a nasty Tory ******* according to some on here. I do not want to see people v politicians, community v police, social group v social group.

Let’s get that vaccine huh.

larus

That’s not how this works. Unless you can provide a sauce, why should I or anyone else, believe what you say to be true? And of course, you can find anything using Google to back up your own cognitive bias so... :shrug:

I hadn’t realised asking for a source was controversial :shrug:

So, do you think you have a cognitive bias, or just those of conservative views?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
So, do you think you have a cognitive bias, or just those of conservative views?

Everyone has bias. I really am rather baffled at why you’re being so defensive over being asked to provide a source ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here