Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time of fear?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Masks don’t stop viruses. That’s been known for years.

If they did, why was the original advice from the medical advisors to not wear masks?

Because there was concern that those that really needed effective masks would not be able to source them, as they were already in short supply. Guidance to NHS staff over PPE seemed to change to fit the available products, rather than the science.

Some grades of mask do stop airborne viruses. All face coverings reduce the distance to which droplets will travel, and will reduce the amount of virus entering your airways if you were breathing in air with virus suspended in it. I believe the evidence is that those places where masks were mandatory have reduced infection rates and they have less severe cases.

The only concern with masks is not using a clean one or touching it constantly with hands that may have virus on them, wash your hands often and use a clean mask.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nutters is very appropriate and mild. not sure how to describe a group that doesnt know their own mind, anti-vaccine, anti-5G, believing a virus is a hoax. is it a hoax or is it caused by 5G/china/Bill Gates? how many have their phones out recording? would they not accept medical treatment for other illness? fortunatly only a few thousand followers.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Conspiracy theories are often a gateway to the far right. That worries me. An old friend of mine, who clearly took to many drugs back in our day, is now a Trump championing, deep state, loon.

It's so much harder to believe this alternate ideology, even with an inquisitive mind.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Masks don’t stop viruses. That’s been known for years.

If they did, why was the original advice from the medical advisors to not wear masks?

False.

This was evidenced during the pandemic at its height. In Germany infection rates dropped significantly when it was trialled.

Source: BBC Reports

Unless they are part of a conspiracy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What this is, is an ideal time for people with an agenda, or who want to make a huge amount of money on youtube, or both, to exploit the scared and the hard of thinking.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can’t help but stray into; ‘you don’t need masks there isn’t the evidence’ = ‘we haven’t bought shares invested our trust funds etc in the PPE companies yet...’. ‘You now need compulsory mask waring’ = ‘it’s fine, we and all our friends have invested and control said supplying companies now’...One thing that can be said for this government and their media friends, at least their pretty much brazenly open with it. It’s not like anyone with half a brain can’t see what’s going on with the awarding of many of these government contracts.

you're going down conspriacy route too. do the government mandate masses use medical grade PPE, or a any face covering will suffice?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Far right trying to agitate the masses with lies to disrupt trust in institutions and logic. Preying on the venerable and easily persuaded.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What this is, is an ideal time for people with an agenda, or who want to make a huge amount of money on youtube, or both, to exploit the scared and the hard of thinking.

You mean the brave free thinkers, surely :D

A guy I know has recently been making videos based on Covid "research" he's been doing. The likes and shares he's getting is terrifying.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That’s not how this works. Unless you can provide a sauce, why should I or anyone else, believe what you say to be true? And of course, you can find anything using Google to back up your own cognitive bias so... :shrug:

Oh for Pete's sake!
.Of course you can find this kind of information if you use an ounce of common sense. Cognitive bias doesn't come into it.
Anyway, it wasn't me who you aimed the original question to, it was Larus, I was only trying to be helpful!
Honestly, you must be living in a parallel universe if you haven't been aware of the concerns expressed!

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
you're going down conspriacy route too. do the government mandate masses use medical grade PPE, or a any face covering will suffice?

It’s not a conspiracy if you can check public record against awarded contracts and MPs with investment or activity for said company. One company awarded a PPE contract had been dormant for 4 years, got a contract and supplied a load of shite that wasn’t fit for purpose. Bit naive if you think it’s just conspiracy that there is a lot of money being made out of the public purse - and we should be scrutinising this spending and not just being an electorate of yes men.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Evidence?

Because the Tories f*cked-up and didn't have an emergency stockpile of PPE - a mad scramble for PPE by the general population would have led to hospital staff treating patients without PPE (and they struggled to supply sufficient PPE without any panic buying by the public) - so blame the Tories (who also initially adopted a policy of 'herd immunity' that led to thousands of unnecessary deaths)

The WHO said masks don’t work.

Far right :lolol:

Keep throwing that mud guys, some of it might stick.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Conspiracy theories are often a gateway to the far right. That worries me. An old friend of mine, who clearly took to many drugs back in our day, is now a Trump championing, deep state, loon.

It's so much harder to believe this alternate ideology, even with an inquisitive mind.

Have a similar friend, posts a lot of antivaxer stuff, I like the guy so I gently debunk his "evidence" and he is slowly becoming a bit more critical of the stuff he wants to believe at first sight, some of which is quite convincing if you do not dig deeper to find the truth.
It is fair to question the science and evidence, and who might have a vested interest but then the critical thinking ends and magical thinking seems to take over.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It’s not fake, nor some sort of hidden agenda.

It’s just a massive over reaction with lockdowns that we are now going to have to pay with more deaths elsewhere, high unemployment and higher taxes.

There is no need for a “new normal” we can go back to pretty much how it was before.

Some Governments are doubling down on the mistakes - Some are seeing the error.

Sweden is showing how it should have been done (minus care homes) and as more evidence comes it backs them up.

Sadly the media and the gov are still running fear headlines

All based on awfully flawed modelling

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here