Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time of fear?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am a believer in Covid-19. I am currently in lockdown on the other side of the world and have no problem with it, yet.

I do have some concerns about over reaction by the authorities around the world, but understand the need to protect public services and the vulnerable. But what I fear is a ‘Survivor’ TV series (1970s) where society begins to break down as unemployment and poverty takes its toll.

In most western orientated countries it seems the majority of people are OK with lockdowns, and understand the need to try to stifle the effects of the virus. But is this changing.....?

There are plans for protests here in Melbourne next weekend, I was aware of a planned demo in Berlin yesterday. It seems there was also a demo/protest in London yesterday, attended by thousands, but from what I can see there is no mention of it upon the BBC. If someone can prove me wrong I will be very pleased.

I find it very worrying when a pillock like David Icke can get thousands of people chanting ‘Freedom! Freedom!’ (See the last 20% of the vid). What I find even more worrying is the apparent media blackout of such events. Anyone else beginning to feel a little worried?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IizPX4YZGFY&feature=share

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
From what I can see there is no mention of it upon the BBC. If someone can prove me wrong I will be very pleased.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53959552

Some of those involved had insignia from the far-right Reichsbürger (Reich Citizens) movement. Vice Chancellor Olaf Scholz said: "Nazi symbols as well as Reichsbürger and Imperial German flags have no place in the German Bundestag."

Rallies protesting against coronavirus restrictions took place in other European cities with some demonstrators calling the virus a hoax.

Thousands gathered in London's Trafalgar Square to protest against issues including coronavirus restrictions and 5G. Signs reading "masks are muzzles" and "new normal = new fascism" were held up.

Similar protests took place in Paris, Vienna and Zurich.

It's just a few thousand nutters, mostly right-wing, nutters.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9483054 said:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53959552

It's just a few thousand nutters, mostly right-wing, nutters.

The BBC headline has no reference to London, 95 % of the report is about Berlin. There is no mention of right wing ‘nutters’ in the London protest. Not a good word ‘nutters’.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Didn’t some cretin get a BUF flag out in London? As above, right wing nutters who, whilst protesting against further lockdowns and restrictions, don’t seem to grasp the fact that avoiding such mass gatherings will probably reduce the risk of further lockdowns :facepalm:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I went, really good atmosphere and was far from ‘right-wing’. Piers Corbyn was very good. I’d left by the time David Icke came on, I heard he was speaking at a different event.

I don’t know what you are referring to regarding ‘Freedom’. Doesn’t seem to be in the video.

I too had the same fears you have now, but months ago.

I speakers I listened to were doctors, scientists and a nurse.

I heard over a million turned up to the German one a few weeks ago. It’s good that you’re questioning why they aren’t reporting on it accurately or at all.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Didn’t some cretin get a BUF flag out in London? As above, right wing nutters who, whilst protesting against further lockdowns and restrictions, don’t seem to grasp the fact that avoiding such mass gatherings will probably reduce the risk of further lockdowns :facepalm:

....maybe they saw all those mass gatherings with BLM ...beaches of Bournemouth etc not causing a problem

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am a believer in Covid-19. I am currently in lockdown on the other side of the world and have no problem with it, yet.

I do have some concerns about over reaction by the authorities around the world, but understand the need to protect public services and the vulnerable. But what I fear is a ‘Survivor’ TV series (1970s) where society begins to break down as unemployment and poverty takes its toll.

In most western orientated countries it seems the majority of people are OK with lockdowns, and understand the need to try to stifle the effects of the virus. But is this changing.....?

There are plans for protests here in Melbourne next weekend, I was aware of a planned demo in Berlin yesterday. It seems there was also a demo/protest in London yesterday, attended by thousands, but from what I can see there is no mention of it upon the BBC. If someone can prove me wrong I will be very pleased.

I find it very worrying when a pillock like David Icke can get thousands of people chanting ‘Freedom! Freedom!’ (See the last 20% of the vid). What I find even more worrying is the apparent media blackout of such events. Anyone else beginning to feel a little worried?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IizPX4YZGFY&feature=share

Much being said about this over in Ozland

[tweet]1299016976216588293[/tweet]

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
....maybe they saw all those mass gatherings with BLM ...beaches of Bournemouth etc not causing a problem

The BLM protests where most people wore masks and there were examples of social distance protesting happening across the world you mean? ??? As for the beaches, never will I find it unbelievable that the teen goes in to the murder basement during a horror movie ever again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The BLM protests where most people wore masks and there were examples of social distance protesting happening across the world you mean? ??? As for the beaches, never will I find it unbelievable that the teen goes in to the murder basement during a horror movie ever again.

Saw plenty in the protests that happened week after week with no masks ..social distancing

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Saw plenty in the protests that happened week after week with no masks ..social distancing

Even if that’s true, even though there is plenty of evidence to back up my previous statement, two wrongs and all that.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Reality no longer matters. Trump makes stuff up, brexiteers make stuff up etc etc. Perception now matters rather than reality. It is scary.

Flat earthers now have a social media to share their nonsense and it is ridiculous. The far right and far left coming together in a marriage of stupidity.

larus

The BBC headline has no reference to London, 95 % of the report is about Berlin. There is no mention of right wing ‘nutters’ in the London protest. Not a good word ‘nutters’.

Agree - The use of abusive words (nutter, racist, gammon, thugs, etc.) is typical liberal/left-wing response. They attack the messenger and not the message, and then use language to portray themselves as righteous/correct (progressive, etc.). Fact is, it’s just different people have different opinions and most people aspire to the same things, maybe just different views.

Anyway, back to your point.

I think the reaction is overblown to Covid. For example, in the UK the death rate of 0.07%. The Spanish flu death rate was about 0.5%. Of these deaths, a high percentage have been in care home (i.e. those who are old and already weak/near death/unable to care for themselves). There has not been any deaths of a healthy child in the UK - only child deaths are linked to serious underlying health conditions. How many of these excess winter deaths are old/dying people who would have died later this year anyway? Also, there are serious questions of the accuracy of the statistics, as deaths are being recorded as Covid deaths if people die WITH Covid not OF Covid. I’ve read reports that state, for example, someone could have terminal cancer and then catch Covid and it’s a Covid death.

Medical professionals are now concerned that there will be more deaths linked to the lockdowns than saved by the lockdowns.

The damage being done to the global economy is scary. When these furlough schemes end later this year and the wave of unemployment hits, god help us.

Also, I fear for the structure of society. You can’t create wealth (money) out of thin air. All of the bail-outs need to be paid for - the ‘printing’ of money isn’t creating value/wealth. The only gainers from these bail-outs appear to be the wealthy/bankers. Small businesses are going to be hammered and the likes at Amazon getting more powerful.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Reality no longer matters. Trump makes stuff up, brexiteers make stuff up etc etc. Perception now matters rather than reality. It is scary.

Flat earthers now have a social media to share their nonsense and it is ridiculous. The far right and far left coming together in a marriage of stupidity.

We are truly living in a post-truth era :facepalm:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Time of fear? Yes. Main Stream Media stiring up the fear factor.

Do I think COVID is real? Yes. Man made conspiracy theory? Feck knows.

Have the lockdowns and handlings been wrong? Yes. Look at the deaths. 90%+ over 40 and underlying health issues of both under and over 40s. Should have kept anyone under 40 at work who could and mandatory gloves and masks from day 1.

The lockdowns have forced millions out of work and businesses permanently shut. The printing of money is insane. Effects will be felt for a decade, minimum.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Agree - The use of abusive words (nutter, racist, gammon, thugs, etc.) is typical liberal/left-wing response. They attack the messenger and not the message, and then use language to portray themselves as righteous/correct (progressive, etc.). Fact is, it’s just different people have different opinions and most people aspire to the same things, maybe just different views.

Anyway, back to your point.

I think the reaction is overblown to Covid. For example, in the UK the death rate of 0.07%. The Spanish flu death rate was about 0.5%. Of these deaths, a high percentage have been in care home (i.e. those who are old and already weak/near death/unable to care for themselves). There has not been any deaths of a healthy child in the UK - only child deaths are linked to serious underlying health conditions. How many of these excess winter deaths are old/dying people who would have died later this year anyway? Also, there are serious questions of the accuracy of the statistics, as deaths are being recorded as Covid deaths if people die WITH Covid not OF Covid. I’ve read reports that state, for example, someone could have terminal cancer and then catch Covid and it’s a Covid death.

Medical professionals are now concerned that there will be more deaths linked to the lockdowns than saved by the lockdowns.

The damage being done to the global economy is scary. When these furlough schemes end later this year and the wave of unemployment hits, god help us.

Also, I fear for the structure of society. You can’t create wealth (money) out of thin air. All of the bail-outs need to be paid for - the ‘printing’ of money isn’t creating value/wealth. The only gainers from these bail-outs appear to be the wealthy/bankers. Small businesses are going to be hammered and the likes at Amazon getting more powerful.

Sources please.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It is a difficult one.
I think we all understood the need for a lockdown back in March and for some time afterwards, and I know that life is now much freer than it was, however, there is a limit to how long society will tolerate social distancing, mask wearing, and all the other measures that have been taken that prevent normal social interaction and spontaneity.
As you say, add in huge redundancies, increasing deaths from cancer and other illnesses that are going untreated, chuck in a general 'f--k this lark, I'm fed up with this type attitude' and we could have a recipe for social unrest.
As it is, many youngsters and those not so young are no longer giving consideration to the non mixing of households and this will only increase. How many youngsters are ignoring guidelines and starting new relationships, I wonder? Grandparents not hugging grandchildren? Pah! In the quiet bit of Sussex we live in, with no recent infections and very few overall, I get the feeling people are just using their common sense rather than sticking rigidly to any rules in their personal lives.
The way we are now is unsustainable, both societally and economically, but I can't see anything materially changing until we see what the winter brings.I don't envy any government having to make decisions at this awful time and I am sure most right thinking people understand the daily dilemmas. Yes, the authorities will say that the way to get back to normality(not any new normal) is to follow the rules and we all know that, but without a vaccine I wonder what the trigger will be to sound the all clear and when that might be. In the meantime, we must try to get life back to as much normal as we can. This is going to be difficult but life isn't risk free and we cannot continue indefinitely like things are at present.

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

I particularly enjoyed this...

[tweet]1299252395466080256[/tweet]

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I am pleased to see these uprisings of common sense sprouting. Scaring society is control through fear. I don't want my child to grow up in a constant mask wearing world. You can't live in a virus free bubble for eternity. Some small shops and businesses were hardly thriving before all this. This has been the final nail in the coffin for too many people's lives and livelihoods and that is desperately sad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here