Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SNP and George Galloway.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I am asking from the fiscal POV.

I like George, a little bonkers, and dont always agree with him, but incredibly passionate and knowledgeable about issues he champions.
Saying that, its very naive to put a fiscal price on independence and sovereignty. Its also impossible.
You only have to look at our own recent history to realise that those that tried to put a fiscal price on it made a massive error in judgement.........and still do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
he's not wrong. the finances of independent of Scotland is not clever, pre-covid their deficit was 15bn, about 8% of their GDP (whole UK is about 2.8). they wouldnt control interest rates and be dependent on good will raising debt with no central bank guarantee. would be a financial mess from the start, have to raise taxes considerably or cut services.

interesting reference to Panama, it was their failed national financial backing for a colony there that bankrupted them and led to the Union.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I like George, a little bonkers, and dont always agree with him, but incredibly passionate and knowledgeable about issues he champions.
Saying that, its very naive to put a fiscal price on independence and sovereignty. Its also impossible.
You only have to look at our own recent history to realise that those that tried to put a fiscal price on it made a massive error in judgement.........and still do.

A wise point, although it is worth remembering that the situations in Scotland and the United Kingdom are very different.

The United Kingdom is, always has been and hopefully will always be a strong and independent sovereign nation with its own head of state and armed forces, bound by whatever treaties it may have entered into with others but free to withdraw from them should it wish.

None of that and more applies to Scotland. Unlike the UK it cannot, by way of extreme example, declare war on another country. Unlike the UK it doesn't have the freedom to walk away. When I worked for a large state industry Scotland was regarded and defined in HQ as a 'region'. It was always more than that but what to this day it manifestly isn't is a country eligible for membership of the United Nations.

While the practical risks to Scotland of walking away from its union are great the potential prizes are more genuine and tangible than those standing before the UK.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
A wise point, although it is worth remembering that the situations in Scotland and the United Kingdom are very different.

The United Kingdom is, always has been and hopefully will always be a strong and independent sovereign nation with its own head of state and armed forces, bound by whatever treaties it may have entered into with others but free to withdraw from them should it wish.

None of that and more applies to Scotland. Unlike the UK it cannot, by way of extreme example, declare war on another country. Unlike the UK it doesn't have the freedom to walk away. When I worked for a large state industry Scotland was regarded and defined in HQ as a 'region'. It was always more than that but what to this day it manifestly isn't is a country eligible for membership of the United Nations.

While the practical risks to Scotland of walking away from its union are great the potential prizes are more genuine and tangible than those standing before the UK.

Like a few on here Independence is not the problem,good luck freedom do your own thing. Just remember that you have to pay your own way.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Incredibly different indeed. But the fact remains you cant put a price on freedom.
You cant physically touch it or measure it, but it is felt and self-evident to the holder.
Those that dismiss this perception, or simply don’t understand it or even insist on putting a fiscal price on freedom will ultimately always fail if enough people value independence and sovereignty above money.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Incredibly different indeed. But the fact remains you cant put a price on freedom.
You cant physically touch it or measure it, but it is felt and self-evident to the holder.
Those that dismiss this perception, or simply don’t understand it or even insist on putting a fiscal price on freedom will ultimately always fail if enough people value independence and sovereignty above money.

As I said, a wise point and one I agree with. Perhaps we will soon see if Scotland puts money above independence. If I had to guess I'd say they will.

In the matter of Brexit I feel that Independence is a red herring. In an interdependent world there are very few nations that are truly independent and my own view, which I know you disagree with, is that the UK will have less influence, less real independence and, yes, less money as a result of what we have been persuaded to do.

It's an arguable point - the situation in Scotland is far more clear cut.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I'm intrigued to know what the UK is currently restricted from doing that this new found freedom will allow us to do?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's great to have these ideals of freedom, self governance etc etc.

At the end of the day, you have to pay for them, and Scotland can't pay for itself..

I'm not pro or anti this whole independence thing, I just can't see how the numbers add up. Because they don't.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It's great to have these ideals of freedom, self governance etc etc.

At the end of the day, you have to pay for them, and Scotland can't pay for itself..

I'm not pro or anti this whole independence thing, I just can't see how the numbers add up. Because they don't.

I suppose the UK's sums don't add up very well either.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I think Scotlands ambition is to rejoin the EU, and I can see the EU supporting it as it would be strategic for them if UK is competing against it

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe, but the Spanish might have a few issues given treating a separatist movement in Scotland favourably could encourage Catalonia / the Basque region to kick off again.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Maybe, but the Spanish might have a few issues given treating a separatist movement in Scotland favourably could encourage Catalonia / the Basque region to kick off again.

A fair point but the comparison between the Catalonian and Scottish situations has weakened greatly as a result of the UK leaving the EU. Scotland breaking away from a non-EU member and then applying for membership would not be the Spain-frightening precedent it once was.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here