Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Given we play Chelsea first game of season, what are your expectations for the friendly?

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
It's a bit of a weird one tbh.

- Do you expect a lot of experimentation from both teams?

- Will you be happy if in the process we take a hefty loss?

- Do you expect us to go all in for a win?

- Do you think the result will affect morale, win or lose, or will it just be a learning experience?

- Do you think the result of this friendly is important in regards to our Prem meeting on the 14th?

Wondering how you expect Potter to approach the game and what your expectations are.

(btw, regardless of this friendly I am hoping that by winning the transfer window Chelsea are doomed to lose in their opening game :lol:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
25 Albion players used.

Ali J just missing the squad, although 'he's training really well and very close'.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont really care about result or even how it looks. As we get closer to season start, those things will be more and more interesting, but tomorrow I'm mainly interested in the youngsters that may get a chance. Especially Cochrane and Gyökeres, their performances tomorrow and whenever the next game is could change transfer plans for the summer.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Neither team will be full strength with all the international plsyers missing. Ali J will not make the sqad because running on in 70th minute from Tehran is not practical.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
It's an exercise to see if games can be played in front of a few people......nothing to do with what happens on the pitch, the players are already accustomed to playing under Covid. Don't go expecting a classic, anyone going is just a guinea pig ! Six Chelsea players are in quarantine , which bodes well !!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Potter will use it to help get our players up to speed.

Lots of changes at half time so effectively two line ups playing 45mins each would make sense.

I'm expecting to enjoy a really good afternoon out meeting some people I haven't seen since March and being inside The Amex for the first time since March. A pie and a few pints will be one bonus. If the Albion can play some decent football - including a few nice touches from some of our exciting young players - then that will be even better.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just hope it’s smooth, no nonsense, no injuries.

No injuries? Oh I don't know ...... nothing serious, but if Pulisic, Hudson-Odoe and Loftus-Cheek, for example, were out for a couple of weeks ...............

Do red cards count in friendlies? If they do, we could always ask Duffy to take one last one for the team I suppose.
:wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The train will be late, my pie will be too hot or too cold (and possibly the wrong flavour), no one will actually socially distance after half time and I'll get to wave to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If i had managed to get a ticket ..then just sitting back at The Amex watching a ball being kicked would have been enough .......sigh

On a separate note it was 52 years to the day i saw my first game....Dad took me ..he hit is 93rd birthday last week...unfortunately his health has taken a turn for the worse

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Please tell me there’s no drinks break halfway through each half, other than that it’ll be interesting to see how White, Veltman, Lallana and whichever of the U23‘s get a chance

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think it's crazy to be playing someone we face so soon anyway. Okay, so EFL clubs are all playing in the Carabao Cup - but surely we could have switched the opponents for someone we don't play until December? I don't suppose Chelsea are too overjoyed either. Whatever happens, let's not get a result tomorrow and then lose in the league.

As for the game, a different team in each half. White and Lallana won't play as they're 'not up to speed yet' or some such waffle. The main thing is to steer clear of injuries.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think it's crazy to be playing someone we face so soon anyway. Okay, so EFL clubs are all playing in the Carabao Cup - but surely we could have switched the opponents for someone we don't play until December? I don't suppose Chelsea are too overjoyed either. Whatever happens, let's not get a result tomorrow and then lose in the league.

As for the game, a different team in each half. White and Lallana won't play as they're 'not up to speed yet' or some such waffle. The main thing is to steer clear of injuries.

I agree and can't dredge up a smithereen of enthusiasm for this game for this and several other reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here