Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] "The Bureau" on Amazon

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Several NSC's recommended "The Bureau" recently on another thread. We checked it out, and sure enough it is a very good series indeed, free to Amazon subscribers. We have watched the 10 episodes of Series 1 and got as far as episode 2 of Series 2, and now find that if we want to continue watching this show we will have to pay a further extra subscription.
This feels as though Amazon have deliberately sucked us into the series, have waited for us to get sufficiently committed to the plot and the characters, and now want more money from us if we want to complete the full 4 Series as advertised.
If this is so, it is a very sly and underhand way for a major player like Amazon to behave. So my question is: has any body else come across similar instances of poor treatment from either Amazon or Netflix

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Yes it is a great series and the later ones are on a Prime channel called Sundance. You can have 30 days free on it which was perfect to see out the Bureau episodes. I then cancelled.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Netflix is pay once, watch whatever you like, no other charges at all. During the free month trial I have has with Prime, I found quite a lot required extra payments, and there are several "channels" that also require extra payments to access. I thought it was a bit sneaky, as they give the impression that once you pay for Prime, all the content is available, but that is far from the case.

Sky went the same way, originally it was pay for Sky Sports and get it all, then slowly more and more became extras, until as far as I can see you pay for the privilege of having to pay extra for everything

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Several NSC's recommended "The Bureau" recently on another thread. We checked it out, and sure enough it is a very good series indeed, free to Amazon subscribers. We have watched the 10 episodes of Series 1 and got as far as episode 2 of Series 2, and now find that if we want to continue watching this show we will have to pay a further extra subscription.
This feels as though Amazon have deliberately sucked us into the series, have waited for us to get sufficiently committed to the plot and the characters, and now want more money from us if we want to complete the full 4 Series as advertised.
If this is so, it is a very sly and underhand way for a major player like Amazon to behave. So my question is: has any body else come across similar instances of poor treatment from either Amazon or Netflix

That is true.

But on Amazon Prime there are also many amazing series with no extra charges eg Bosch, Justified and Halt & Catch Fire.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Netflix is pay once, watch whatever you like, no other charges at all. During the free month trial I have has with Prime, I found quite a lot required extra payments, and there are several "channels" that also require extra payments to access. I thought it was a bit sneaky, as they give the impression that once you pay for Prime, all the content is available, but that is far from the case.

Sky went the same way, originally it was pay for Sky Sports and get it all, then slowly more and more became extras, until as far as I can see you pay for the privilege of having to pay extra for everything

Yes have to agree, when the kids are flicking through quickly, One press and im paying extra.

Its just part of the many cogs in Amazon business.
we also get all Parcels delivered free next day with Prime.

My Daughter has Netflix and she just logs in on my smart tv.
we get 4 logins for i as it were.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
That is true.

But on Amazon Prime there are also many amazing series with no extra charges eg Bosch, Justified and Halt & Catch Fire.

Yes and the football on Prime now.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This is a common trick on amazon very disappointing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Only that every time I select something to watch on Prime via my Virgin box it doesn’t work

Does any Virgin Boxes actually work? I've tried YouTube and iPlayer on my folks and the in laws and it takes ff ages

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Thanks to you all for your input - very helpful.
Made a change from reading posts about Ben White and Leeds United

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does any Virgin Boxes actually work? I've tried YouTube and iPlayer on my folks and the in laws and it takes ff ages

I suspect the Virgin boxes are just woefully under-powered...

Just last weekend I was at my mum's house and the subject of Netflix came up. She has Virgin TV of some sort, but doesn't have broadband. Having a quick look online, I found out that you can add Netflix to a Virgin package so delved into the menu system to find it, which I did.

I was presented with a Netflix login screen so just entered my details and we were in and it was working. As our Netflix package includes multiple devices, that was all that was required.

However, using Netflix via the Virgin box was really painful as it was soooooooo slow. Each remote button press took many seconds to register, which meant I was often doubting whether I'd pressed the button hard enough and/or if the box had received it.

Once some content had been selected, it streamed fine, but navigating the "app" on the Virgin box was a horrendous experience.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I suspect the Virgin boxes are just woefully under-powered...

Just last weekend I was at my mum's house and the subject of Netflix came up. She has Virgin TV of some sort, but doesn't have broadband. Having a quick look online, I found out that you can add Netflix to a Virgin package so delved into the menu system to find it, which I did.

I was presented with a Netflix login screen so just entered my details and we were in and it was working. As our Netflix package includes multiple devices, that was all that was required.

However, using Netflix via the Virgin box was really painful as it was soooooooo slow. Each remote button press took many seconds to register, which meant I was often doubting whether I'd pressed the button hard enough and/or if the box had received it.

Once some content had been selected, it streamed fine, but navigating the "app" on the Virgin box was a horrendous experience.

Pretty much every experience I've had on Virgin Boxes. I've had Sky and BT Youview boxes of the same period and the Virgin ones seem so slow and unreliable in comparison

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I recently discovered they do it with books. I got a free book which was the first of a 5 book series. The second was a reasonable cost but the last 3 were at premium price

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It’s just a question of time. As a Prime subscriber you want to be able to binge all 4 series, but like normal TV it’s up to them how they release them. 6 months time it will likely be on Prime.

Same with the films. Sicario was needing the extra subscription for ages, then after 12 months it was a Prime film for a period, then dropped off again.

I was making my way through Veep on Sky Comedy and that’s dropped off their roll call after I was about to start season 5. It will be back though I suspect at some point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here