Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
oh dear, an absolute drubbing at the Lashmar

East Preston 0-9 Eastbourne Town

Was a real men against boys type game, EP completely outclassed from start to finish

Eastbourne's number 11, I think called Arron Hopkinson either scored or set up about 7 of their goals

He had a couple of trial spells with Albion 11 years ago - played a number of matches for the U-18s towards the end of the 2009-10 season, and then featured for Albion sides in pre-season friendlies against Kingstonian and Eastbourne Town in July 2010.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Glad to see Worthing won again - Rabeen Jr and I almost went last minute but couldn’t quite get there in time.

While looking up Hayes and Yeading’s ground, I saw that it was the setting used as the training ground for AFC Richmond in the Ted Lasso TV series…

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Another great day out at The Pan.

Tanner is the most exciting talent in world football right now (don't @ me, two more goals yesterday and his first was reminiscent of that Bale goal against Barca), but the whole team played really well. MotM for me was Carlse at LB. Pritchard and JT excellent as well.

More of the same next week please, Rooks.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Tanner is the most exciting talent in world football right now (don't @ me, two more goals yesterday and his first was reminiscent of that Bale goal against Barca), but the whole team played really well. MotM for me was Carlse at LB. Pritchard and JT excellent as well.

Alex Pritchard has finally found his level l see! :D

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I made my first trip of the season to the Dripping Pan yesterday, with my son, and it was hugely enjoyable. Pints of Abyss on the terrace, six goals and a brilliant match in the World’s greatest ground.

Tanner really is very good.

I will be back with increasing regularity

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
oh dear, an absolute drubbing at the Lashmar

East Preston 0-9 Eastbourne Town

Was a real men against boys type game, EP completely outclassed from start to finish

Eastbourne's number 11, I think called Arron Hopkinson either scored or set up about 7 of their goals

I sympathise, Horsham YMCA also on the wrong side of an embarrassing scoreline, in this case a 6-2 home defeat by Lingfield at Gorings Mead.

Something of a surprise as Lingfield were only one place above YM in the table, 13th and 14th respectively. YM's fate not helped by the loss through injury of their goalkeeper and arguably best player, Aaron Jeal after about 15 minutes. Have to say though that we were already 1-0 down by then anyway, and with Mark Pritchard-Cave an outfield player in goal, we went on to conede five more times.

Still, it should be easier next week with an away match to 2nd place Saltdean to look forward to!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Has Non-League benefited from Covid I wonder? At least, since the return to playing, as obviously Covid lockdowns will have adversely affected a lot of small clubs.

More space to spread out. Drink whilst watching the game.

I know someone who goes regularly to The Pilot Field and he says attendances are way up. Although new owner and success on the pitch will be a big factor there also.

I think it’s partly due to COVID, but I think a lot of it is more down to people feeling increasingly alienated from and priced out of professional football. The customer not fans attitude at the Albion really is something difficult for me to overlook when it comes to parting with my money. VAR was the final straw for me and I haven’t been to a home game since Potters first home match. I ended up going to a Worthing game just to fill the footballing void a few months later and ended up paying a tenner to watch a 5-5 draw. It instantly killed any desire to go back to The Amex

For £60 I could go to a Brighton game and have a flat pint of Fosters and a rancid burger. For that price I’m covering one youth players wage for about 25 minutes. Or if I go to a Worthing game I can have a burger & chips, 6 freshly poured pints and still have £20 left from the same £60. I also know that the money I’ve spent will make a difference to a team that still feels like it represents my local community. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that so many Sussex teams are seeing huge increases in attendances - especially whilst the Amex looks half empty most weeks.

I haven’t made it to a Worthing game yet this season, but I’m already lining up a few I want to make it to before Christmas. Brighton games? My old man is a Chelsea STH so I might see if I can wrangle a ticket for Chelsea away, but apart from that I’m looking at Wolves (A) for a mates birthday and that’s it. Entirely unarsed about going otherwise.

More and more people are going to realise that non-league is more fun and remarkably better value over the coming years, I wouldn’t be surprised if the trend continues and we see Worthing, Lewes & Bognor in the top half of the National League south in a few years, with Worthing averaging 2k for home games and the other both comfortably being over 1k.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Tanner and Joe Taylor are the obvious stars every game but Carlse has been very good every game

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I think it’s partly due to COVID, but I think a lot of it is more down to people feeling increasingly alienated from and priced out of professional football. The customer not fans attitude at the Albion really is something difficult for me to overlook when it comes to parting with my money. VAR was the final straw for me and I haven’t been to a home game since Potters first home match. I ended up going to a Worthing game just to fill the footballing void a few months later and ended up paying a tenner to watch a 5-5 draw. It instantly killed any desire to go back to The Amex

For £60 I could go to a Brighton game and have a flat pint of Fosters and a rancid burger. For that price I’m covering one youth players wage for about 25 minutes. Or if I go to a Worthing game I can have a burger & chips, 6 freshly poured pints and still have £20 left from the same £60. I also know that the money I’ve spent will make a difference to a team that still feels like it represents my local community. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that so many Sussex teams are seeing huge increases in attendances - especially whilst the Amex looks half empty most weeks.

I haven’t made it to a Worthing game yet this season, but I’m already lining up a few I want to make it to before Christmas. Brighton games? My old man is a Chelsea STH so I might see if I can wrangle a ticket for Chelsea away, but apart from that I’m looking at Wolves (A) for a mates birthday and that’s it. Entirely unarsed about going otherwise.

More and more people are going to realise that non-league is more fun and remarkably better value over the coming years, I wouldn’t be surprised if the trend continues and we see Worthing, Lewes & Bognor in the top half of the National League south in a few years, with Worthing averaging 2k for home games and the other both comfortably being over 1k.

yeh I'm with you on all of that

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Why go for the rancid burger when the cheese burgers are so nice?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
A few pics from the Pan yesterday DSCF0220.jpgDSCF0200.jpgDSCF0213.jpgDSCF0195.jpg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’ve been an Albion STH for many years and they are the only team/club I truly support. The nearest to this is England.

I also love watching local football and am lucky enough to have similar minded mates and an understanding family that allows me to watch the Albion and visit local clubs, usually midweek. I love the feeling, intimacy and innocence of local clubs and applaud the many (but not enough) volunteers who give up their time and money to keep the clubs running. I don’t criticise the standard of play because in terms of quality and fitness the players are a million miles away from players in the PL. Local Players fall into two categories - those in it for the money/recognition and those who just love playing. I make no judgements because if someone offers you money you shouldn’t be criticised for accepting it. I don’t know that person’s financial position so don’t judge.

I also won’t criticise the Albion as a justification for watching non league football. I watch non league football because I like it. I watch the Albion because they are my team.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Considering up North often 4/5 league teams within 15 miles of each other am always surprised Worthing, Eastbourne, Hastings, Lewes etc dont already get 2k plus crowds especially when Albion away.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Considering up North often 4/5 league teams within 15 miles of each other am always surprised Worthing, Eastbourne, Hastings, Lewes etc dont already get 2k plus crowds especially when Albion away.

I think you’re overestimating non-league crowds! Half the teams in the conference currently aren’t even averaging 2k, Worthing & Lewes play 2 levels below that, Hastings even further down than that.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think you’re overestimating non-league crowds! Half the teams in the conference currently aren’t even averaging 2k, Worthing & Lewes play 2 levels below that, Hastings even further down than that.

While Worthing do get 1k for matches Whitehawk had 384 in attendance yesterday which is their highest attendance so far this season.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
While Worthing do get 1k for matches Whitehawk had 384 in attendance yesterday which is their highest attendance so far this season.

Few reasons. Woodside Road is a much nice ground than the Terra (IMO). The football is far better at Worthing this season - Hawks have been a) inconsistent and b) industrial, but Worthing play shexshy football. Plus, as others have said many are only there for the Lewes.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Few reasons. Woodside Road is a much nice ground than the Terra (IMO). The football is far better at Worthing this season - Hawks have been a) inconsistent and b) industrial, but Worthing play shexshy football. Plus, as others have said many are only there for the Lewes.

Yeah the Terrapura ground is a dump to be honest. Was more just a comment on apart from a few outliers most teams aren't getting over 1k at that level. :thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

It's not easy getting crowds in for games. I have been guilty in the past of thinking it's over-priced. But at this moment it's not much more than a price of a pint (sometimes two). Respect to all clubs like Worthing who are building their support.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

It’s also worth noting that Woodside Road is a better pub than a lot of the actual pubs in Worthing. :lolol:

The bar at Woodside Road or The Grand Victoria? If I was going on a pub crawl through Worthing I know where I’d rather plot up to start.

It's not easy getting crowds in for games. I have been guilty in the past of thinking it's over-priced. But at this moment it's not much more than a price of a pint (sometimes two). Respect to all clubs like Worthing who are building their support.

Yep, you just have to look at the average attendances in their league to see just how well they’re doing.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/isthmian-football-league-premier-division/attendances

Only 3 teams in their division are averaging half of Worthing’s attendances. Only 2 teams in that entire level of the pyramid are pulling in bigger crowds - and one of those is FCUM!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here