Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A last chance for some live football on Tuesday night, a mouthwatering Sussex Senior Cup clash at Nyewood Lane, Bognor Regis.

Bognor Regis Town v Burgess Hill Town

Adults £8.00, Senior Citizens (over 65s) £6.00, Under 16s £3.00

Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 12.42.24.png

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Went along to AFC Varndeanians tonight and saw a 0-0 draw and win on penalties for Langey. Went to Burgess Hill at the weekend after Hassocks got rained off so ground 119 will have to wait. After watching them against Whyteleafe it was like watching a different team. Organised, well drilled and good finishers and the ultras were on good form again. Gonna head up to Three Bridges Tomorrow against Worthing in the cup to get one final game in before drinking my local dry on Wednesday. Will be a shame to see the football postponed, but it’s gonna be Saturday, Tuesday for the rest of the season to get my fill of non league after the lockdown.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Went along to AFC Varndeanians tonight and saw a 0-0 draw and win on penalties for Langey. Went to Burgess Hill at the weekend after Hassocks got rained off so ground 119 will have to wait. After watching them against Whyteleafe it was like watching a different team. Organised, well drilled and good finishers and the ultras were on good form again. Gonna head up to Three Bridges Tomorrow against Worthing in the cup to get one final game in before drinking my local dry on Wednesday. Will be a shame to see the football postponed, but it’s gonna be Saturday, Tuesday for the rest of the season to get my fill of non league after the lockdown.

how was it being back at Withdean?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Can tell you that the toilet block was the exact same one from 2011 which was colder than the arctic, but was strangely familiar.

brilliant

its just the north stand remaining isn't it? are there any other facilities like a bar or food etc?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
brilliant

its just the north stand remaining isn't it? are there any other facilities like a bar or food etc?

Nope, just a coffee urn with one guy running it, spoke to the bloke running it and said the council won't let them do anything with it (sound familiar?) no music, only one announcement before kick off. Shame because it could be a decent little non league ground but sadly the council are just letting it go to waste.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Nope, just a coffee urn with one guy running it, spoke to the bloke running it and said the council won't let them do anything with it (sound familiar?) no music, only one announcement before kick off. Shame because it could be a decent little non league ground but sadly the council are just letting it go to waste.

yeh that's a shame. I guess that level of County League football is quite basic but even so, some teams will have a bar of some sort. Part of the attraction of non-league! Varndeanians might get alright crowds if they could promote a good match day experience

Withdean would be an absolutely fine non league ground, perfect size and the north stand that the Albion built is a decent little stand. The Council just need to be a bit flexible but we as Albion fans know what that's like

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Leiston v Kings Langley tonight in Southern Premier Central league , last game before lockdown. Hoping to get first league win of the season .

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

I was at Withdean too last night. Thought the state of the pitch was appalling - the grass is longer than in our local park - and made it very difficult for the players. We’re not far away from bonfire night, so the occasional sound of fireworks was heard, which brought back happy memories of goals scored in the past.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
First league win of the season for Leiston as we beat King's Langley 1-0 , a hard fought victory in a game of few clear cut chances. Now to see when we can get back , hopefully before Xmas .

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Three Bridges v Worthing

Just a wonderful football match which had a bit of everything. Pen awarded then rescinded, red card for an agricultural tackle, superior away team struggling to break deadlock before a sublime Bergkampesque Worthing opener. But Bridges rallied, and scored two late superb breakaway goals. Then the Bridges keeper pulled.off one of the best saves I've ever seen live at the death.

Add in a bit of Argy Bargy with the away contingent of spotty 15 yr old oiks, which involved a car speeding away at the final whistle and one player jumping into the crowd to retrieve his girlfriend who was in with them swigging rosé and you've got an absolutely superb way to sign off on live football for the time being.

Well done to all involved!

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Three Bridges v Worthing

Just a wonderful football match which had a bit of everything. Pen awarded then rescinded, red card for an agricultural tackle, superior away team struggling to break deadlock before a sublime Bergkampesque Worthing opener. But Bridges rallied, and scored two late superb breakaway goals. Then the Bridges keeper pulled.off one of the best saves I've ever seen live at the death.

Add in a bit of Argy Bargy with the away contingent of spotty 15 yr old oiks, which involved a car speeding away at the final whistle and one player jumping into the crowd to retrieve his girlfriend who was in with them swigging rosé and you've got an absolutely superb way to sign off on live football for the time being.

Well done to all involved!

Went as well last night, and I had quite a aggressive encounter with one of the blokes behind the goal. He was doing coke in the corner of the stadium then set upon me as I told him to stop, so I walked off. 15 year old kids while lairy were harmless, but there 3/4 blokes absolutely off their head on some sort of substance. Same bloke tore off in a car threw a lighter at the keeper and drove away, still absolutely off his face. All fun and games anyway although has slightly put me off both clubs though has to be said.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Peacehaven 6-0 Eastboune United last night. Some very impressive players for Peacehaven. Been to many non league games since August, I am going to miss it :(

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Went to Three Bridges last night and enjoyed competitive game. However couldnt believe the behaviour of of some of the Worthing supporters. Hope this is a rarity in local football

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Went to Three Bridges last night and enjoyed competitive game. However couldnt believe the behaviour of of some of the Worthing supporters. Hope this is a rarity in local football

I've only ever seen any trouble from the Hastings fans but this apparently is only an issue when they're at Lewes. Worthing are generally very loud and very pissed but fine, though I have noticed a few younger fans acting like dicks the last couple of years

Went as well last night, and I had quite a aggressive encounter with one of the blokes behind the goal. He was doing coke in the corner of the stadium then set upon me as I told him to stop, so I walked off. 15 year old kids while lairy were harmless, but there 3/4 blokes absolutely off their head on some sort of substance. Same bloke tore off in a car threw a lighter at the keeper and drove away, still absolutely off his face. All fun and games anyway although has slightly put me off both clubs though has to be said.

The three or four Worthing "Supporters" mentioned here and by a few people in this thread do not in any way represent the proper Worthing fanbase or the Away Boys group who sing/make noise behind the goal every game in any way, shape or form. Whilst I wasn't at the game last night, I say all this as someone who considers themselves part of the Away Boys group of fans and is in group chats with the core group of fans. That core group are livid at what happened last night. For what it's worth with regards to the teenage support we have, of those that have followed us regularly this season, I've seen no actual trouble from at all.

However those three or four individuals mentioned have become known to us after also causing trouble at a recent "home" game in Horsham after they were called out and confronted by regular Worthing supporters for some homophobic chanting. Unfortunately with any fanbase that has grown quite a bit in recent years, you occasionally get the odd few d***heads that tag along and cause problems without caring about the consequences they cause and it painting the rest of the support in a bad light. There's only so much as fans we can but to pass on information for the relevant authorities to deal with it and calling the d***heads out for it when they cause problems.

Rest assured, they don't represent proper Worthing fans, and I believe the club are looking into it to prevent them coming to our games again.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here