Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Legoland advice

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Hi knowledgeable NSC’ers,

We’re planning on a family (2 adults, 1 x 7 old) Trip to LEGOLAND in Octibee half term. The official hotel is crazily expensive so I’ve looked a Premier in nearby. They’re v cheap too. Basically, anywhere within a 10 mile drive to LL.
Slough has 3 nearby hotels but I’m not sure is a decent place to stay - we’ll do a day at Windsor, 1 at London and 1 at LL
Other nearby premier inn include Staines, Maidenhead, Heathrow, Uxbridge, Bracknell and Sunbury. We’d like somewhere that’s nice to visit in the evening for a meal.

Any advice on the best location out of that lot would be appreciated! Thanks

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Windsor is probably the nicest place to stay, can even go out in the evenings to Old Windsor or surrounding areas. Trains to London are frequent although a bit slow from Windsor.

Maidenhead you benefit from fast trains into Paddington and I guess not bad place to go - but 3 nights there might be a bit dull.

Bracknell has benefited from big investment in the town centre (I worked there for 4 years - well needed) so probably not a bad place for a family for a few nights. Although trains to London Waterloo are pretty slow.

On the balance of nice place to stay, locality and things to do in the evening I'd probably go Windsor

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Anywhere but "everyday biological Staines"would be my advice.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No idea how much or if Covid viable now, but we did a four day trip to legoland in Denmark back in the 90's. Self drive with the ferry and did two trips to Legoland and one to Djurs Somerland. Good value for the kids, but expensive for mum and dad, but we made it our summer holiday right at the beginning of September.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We've done this twice. First time stayed in the Holiday Inn at Farnborough. Was on a deal that included tickets to Legoland. Plenty of kid friendly restaurants etc in Aldershot and the food was ok at the hotel as well. When we used it there was a pool and gym which was a reason for choosing it - obviously not sure if these will be in use re Covid. Nice easy drive to Legoland (10-15 mins from memory).

Second time we got a deal with the Beaumont Estate in Old Windsor. It's a little snobby TBH but that means the rooms are nice and there was a cheaper pub just round the corner - Harvester I think - that had loads of kids' food and a canal walk to do (though you have to cross a busy road). We split a 2 day ticket at LL with a trip to Windsor including a tour round the castle. Highly recommended if you like British history but VERY busy. There are absolutely tons of good places to eat and drink near the castle.

I wouldn't bother with the Uxbridge Travelodge (sorry Amex Ruislip!). It was right next to my old office and was not well reviewed by a couple of our staff :)lolol:). However, if you're on a tight budget that's a good option. Uxbridge has a lot of curry houses and chain restaurants but also some very dodgy characters, not just at night but in the day time as well (I think AR calls it "Jaywick").

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Do not, under any circumstances, stay in Slough. Maidenhead - or was 10 years ago when I was last there - is the nicest of the locations you mention by a distance.

As for Legoland, If you can, pay for the queue jump thing, else you will be queuing hours each day. It's overpriced, it's annoying to pay but it is on balance worth doing to avoid the pain of the endless queues.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No idea how much or if Covid viable now, but we did a four day trip to legoland in Denmark back in the 90's. Self drive with the ferry and did two trips to Legoland and one to Djurs Somerland. Good value for the kids, but expensive for mum and dad, but we made it our summer holiday right at the beginning of September.

Same...as a kid in the 90s that is. Nice place, lots of fun as a kid. We were supposed to be there for three days but it was raining a lot and my mothers boyfriend wanted to drive home early to catch the Alien autopsy on TV... (also nice)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There are road works on the M4 from Reading to Heathrow avoid travelling on this road if at all possible

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hi knowledgeable NSC’ers,

We’re planning on a family (2 adults, 1 x 7 old) Trip to LEGOLAND in Octibee half term. The official hotel is crazily expensive so I’ve looked a Premier in nearby. They’re v cheap too. Basically, anywhere within a 10 mile drive to LL.
Slough has 3 nearby hotels but I’m not sure is a decent place to stay - we’ll do a day at Windsor, 1 at London and 1 at LL
Other nearby premier inn include Staines, Maidenhead, Heathrow, Uxbridge, Bracknell and Sunbury. We’d like somewhere that’s nice to visit in the evening for a meal.

Any advice on the best location out of that lot would be appreciated! Thanks

Presumably you’re driving down from Halifax, and free parking at a hotel or equivalent whilst staying is high on agenda?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here