Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The last time we played Chelsea in a friendly....

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
4th August 2012

Albion 3-1 Chelsea

35' [0-1] Lampard
37' [1-1] Vicente
44' [2-1] Barnes
86' [3-1] Crofts

We were absolutely superb that day, Chelsea were fresh off the back of winning the Champions League and we brought them back down to earth with a Vicente Masterclass. Also Will Buckley bamboozled Ashley Cole and John Terry for Barneys goal, when you watch highlights of him from that era he could easily have made it in the Prem if it wasn't for injuries.

Also a bit of classic David Luiz for our third. :lolol:

Brighton delighted their fans by coming from behind to beat the European champions in front of a crowd of over 17,000 at the Amex Stadium.

Chelsea looked in control after Frank Lampard’s opener, but goals from Vicente, Ashley Barnes and Andrew Crofts gave the Championship outfit an impressive victory. Lampard netted on 34 minutes when Ramires galloped into the Brighton half and picked out Fernando Torres, whose clever dummy meant the ball ran perfectly for the England midfielder. It totally wrongfooted the Albion defence and keeper Thomasz Kuszczak, who was sent the wrong way by Lampard’s shot.

But Gus Poyet’s side hit back quickly and were level within three minutes. Former Chelsea favourite Poyet would himself have been proud of the assist from Barnes, whose run and low cross set up Vicente for a cool side-foot into the bottom corner. And Barnes went one better a couple of minutes before the break when he put the Seagulls ahead. Will Buckley pounced on an error by Raul Meireles and lifted the ball over Ashley Cole, and after Petr Cech saved at the winger’s feet Barnes was on hand to slot into an unguarded net.

In the second half, Cech produced a fingertip save to deny Vicente before being replaced by Ross Turnbull, who did well to keep out Barnes’ near-post header. David Luiz, Ramires, Lampard and Eden Hazard were all unlucky not to score as Chelsea tried to find an equaliser.

And with four minutes remaining, Crofts nipped in to score, with the referee waving away protests that Luiz had been fouled in the build-up.

On a brighter note for the Blues, Torres played 78 minutes and looked sharp, while John Terry featured for an hour before being replaced by Luiz. Cole, Lampard, Hazard, Ramires, Michael Essien, Gary Cahill and Branislav Ivanovic all played the full 90.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/chelsea-beaten-in5-friendly-at13-brighton/amp

Can't find any higher resolution highlights so these will have to do.

:albion2:

Stumpy Tim

That was my daughter's first match - she was almost 4. She cried for 20 minutes in the first half and wanted to go home. At half time I tried to explain to her that we were beating the European Champions, but to no avail. We left on 70 minutes

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Remains the only game I've watched from the Norff.

Warm day, got a :thumbsup: from Fat Frank for pointing out how apt his name was.

Chelski fans in WSU singing 'You're only here for the Chelsea'.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Barnes clattering 'Sideshow' just before our third goal always stuck in my memory, I'd forgotten Vicentes contribution, boy was he special.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I seem to remember that we'd been told before the game that Chelsea would be doing a "lap of honour" afterwards to show off their recently-won Champions League trophy.

Unsurprisingly, it never happened.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The lad Crofts really should have developed beyond the under 23's by now.

If he just ain't up to it the club should have got rid yonks ago.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Remains the only game I've watched from the Norff.

Warm day, got a :thumbsup: from Fat Frank for pointing out how apt his name was.

Chelski fans in WSU singing 'You're only here for the Chelsea'.

MY abiding memory is the chant from all round the stadium "Champions -You're having a laugh"

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That was Super Saturday at the Olympics as well, I can remember the original sideshow bob having a fit after we scored our third

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Remember it well because there was a Chelsea fan right in front of me who took it very badly. Which made it all the more enjoyable. What a wonderful player Vicente was. A surge of excitement every time he got the ball.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You watch that first goal for Chelsea - goodness me Greer was slow. Didn't realise quite how slow at the time. Made up for it in other areas.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
4th August 2012

Albion 3-1 Chelsea

35' [0-1] Lampard
37' [1-1] Vicente
44' [2-1] Barnes
86' [3-1] Crofts

We were absolutely superb that day, Chelsea were fresh off the back of winning the Champions League and we brought them back down to earth with a Vicente Masterclass. Also Will Buckley bamboozled Ashley Cole and John Terry for Barneys goal, when you watch highlights of him from that era he could easily have made it in the Prem if it wasn't for injuries.

Portuguese is a mad sounding language. Like a heavily accented Russian speaking Spanish.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
You watch that first goal for Chelsea - goodness me Greer was slow. Didn't realise quite how slow at the time. Made up for it in other areas.

I really liked Greer but I remember the turning point for us was where he went from being one of the best players in the team, to suddenly appearing like the weak link. Nothing to do with getting older either, just the other players around him had been replaced with improvements or the likes of Dunk getting much better.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That was my daughter's first match - she was almost 4. She cried for 20 minutes in the first half and wanted to go home. At half time I tried to explain to her that we were beating the European Champions, but to no avail. We left on 70 minutes

_and_son's first game in the North Stand, getting the atmosphere in full force as they belted out, "One nil and you MUCKed it up!" (Or so I told him).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really liked Greer but I remember the turning point for us was where he went from being one of the best players in the team, to suddenly appearing like the weak link. Nothing to do with getting older either, just the other players around him had been replaced with improvements or the likes of Dunk getting much better.

Once the bald patch kicked in, he was never the same.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Vicente really played well that day. I guess he was making a point. Chelsea fans who watched the football were impressed.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
4th August 2012

Albion 3-1 Chelsea

35' [0-1] Lampard
37' [1-1] Vicente
44' [2-1] Barnes
86' [3-1] Crofts

Shit goalkeeping for the Chelsea goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here