Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Brighton transport 'chaos' II

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Street controls for 14 Brighton schools

https://www.transportxtra.com/publi...6572/street-controls-for-14-brighton-schools/

Brighton & Hove City Council will be closing streets around schools in a bid to encourage cycling and walking as pupils return to classrooms next week

From September, 14 schools will be taking part in the city’s School Streets project, which aims to help get children safely back to school by making extra physical distancing space at the school gate.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Street controls for 14 Brighton schools

https://www.transportxtra.com/publi...6572/street-controls-for-14-brighton-schools/

Brighton & Hove City Council will be closing streets around schools in a bid to encourage cycling and walking as pupils return to classrooms next week

From September, 14 schools will be taking part in the city’s School Streets project, which aims to help get children safely back to school by making extra physical distancing space at the school gate.

Yep, we've already had notification about my daughter's primary.

The streets they're proposing to close will add to the tailback caused by the OSR cycle lane for the first few weeks. Then people may well move to their feet and bikes in October but the pollution from the lorries heading to the port will remain.

However, if you think there'll still be funding for, and people willing to put up "barriers" in the depths of December and January, or that these barriers will stop the sort of entitled Doris that drives a 4x4 across 200 yards of suburban road to show it off to everyone (for which the excuse is "but Alfie might catch his death of cold") then you have a whole other set of things coming.

I'm not disagreeing with the need for it BTW - I'm just pointing out what the inevitable result will be.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Totally agree with that, should’ve been done years ago.

There are people in our street (including our friends) who drove their kids to our local primary school throughout the 7 years, rain or sunshine, 30 houses away. Not on their way to work, then straight back home again to work from home etc.

Parking and traffic bedlam outside Westdene Primary School twice a day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
In Brighton and Hove, if you're going to your local Primary as you should be, then it's walkable for a five year old.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Totally agree with that, should’ve been done years ago.

There are people in our street (including our friends) who drove their kids to our local primary school throughout the 7 years, rain or sunshine, 30 houses away. Not on their way to work, then straight back home again to work from home etc.

Parking and traffic bedlam outside Westdene Primary School twice a day.

Aye, if it’s not the bin men, it’s the recycling or the garden waste or the Mums’ 4x4 brigade who are undoubtedly responsible for the removal of several layers of paint from various parts of my car.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
How long before a chav (male or female) drives through a volunteer or punches one of them?

Probably in a giant new Chelsea Tractor, in white.

"You live 50 yards away Karen"

"Yeah, but Alfie will catch his death of cold"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Aye, if it’s not the bin men, it’s the recycling or the garden waste or the Mums’ 4x4 brigade who are undoubtedly responsible for the removal of several layers of paint from various parts of my car.

I like it when a waste truck or delivering building merchant‘s truck holds up a last minute charley on the school run. Angry hooting them gets them Jack S*it. Travis Perkins drivers have mentioned that they face all sorts of abuse from school run stressers ... they calmly ignore it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
When I were a lad you went to your local school and walked. They changed the rules so people from the other side of the city could attend a school of choice, and it required transporting kids to school. They need to go back to how it was. Whilst I am not suggesting that kids walk on their own as I did from the age of 6, If they lived near to the schools, parents could get a bit of exercise and free up the roads. It would be greener, cheaper, and cause less chaos for neighbourhoods.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Lol....and then there are those who don’t drive a 4x4 and who don’t live fifty yards away...and work etc...blimey talk about tarring everyone with the same brush :whistle:

Still if it makes the stretch of road near the school gate safer then that has to be good..keep those pesky cyclists out the way too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When I were a lad you went to your local school and walked. They changed the rules so people from the other side of the city could attend a school of choice, and it required transporting kids to school. They need to go back to how it was. Whilst I am not suggesting that kids walk on their own as I did from the age of 6, If they lived near to the schools, parents could get a bit of exercise and free up the roads. It would be greener, cheaper, and cause less chaos for neighbourhoods.

Brighton’s school catchments up to age 11 are based on distance of home from the school, nothing has changed from our time.

Of course, many people lie to get their kids into the parents school of choice - saying they moved in with grandparents in the catchment after a marriage breakup, or rent a basic flat in the catchment for 6 months at the right time, or attend Sunday school for a period for the loved COE or RC primaries. Giving car journeys across the city when they’ve ‘won’ from the charade.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When I were a lad you went to your local school and walked. They changed the rules so people from the other side of the city could attend a school of choice, and it required transporting kids to school.

Not sure that's true. I attended secondary school in the 70s. I had to get two buses to get to school so it wasn't exactly on my doorstep but I got the bus every day. Most kids in the school had parents with a car but you could count on one hand the number of people dropped off by car, everybody walked or got the bus.

Somewhere along the way, the culture changed and kids started being driven in. I'm not sure when and I'm not sure why but it's nothing to do with not attending local schools

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure that's true. I attended secondary school in the 70s. I had to get two buses to get to school so it wasn't exactly on my doorstep but I got the bus every day. Most kids in the school had parents with a car but you could count on one hand the number of people dropped off by car, everybody walked or got the bus.

Somewhere along the way, the culture changed and kids started being driven in. I'm not sure when and I'm not sure why but it's nothing to do with not attending local schools

Likewise I had to get a buss to infants school....but that was the sixties ..then it was a trot down the road for primary and secondary....life though was a tad less hectic in those days

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Stranger danger and fear of beloveds being killed by a car.

They were THE two parents psychology game changers imho, in the course of a generation.

As a kid in the 70’s and early 80’s I cycled miles without a helmet, never got a lift to school beyond 12, played in woods from age 9 sometimes on my own. I’m as bad as most other modern and overly protective parents .... with “Make sure you do this, don’t walk down that isolated path on your own, wear a helmet”.

Civilisation at an extreme?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Stranger danger and fear of beloveds being killed by a car.

But those are invalid reasons.. There have been no increases in the number of kids killed or abducted by strangers in the last 60 years. Thankfully, it's very, very rare. I was the virtually the same age as Keith Lyon when he was killed in Brighton, I still walked to school, over the Downs, every day in the months following his death. I don't recall any parents keeping their child in because of it.

And how increasing the amount of traffic around the school reduces the risk of being killed by a car defeats me - surely the more traffic, the greater the risk?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What!? No, if we make changes we can preserve the world for future generations.

emissions going down so probably turned the corner.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When I were a lad you went to your local school and walked. They changed the rules so people from the other side of the city could attend a school of choice.

Not sure that's true. I attended secondary school in the 70s. I had to get two buses to get to school so it wasn't exactly on my doorstep but I got the bus every day.

I’m sure it’s true if he grew up in Brighton and is talking about walking to primary school, the thread is about parents driving children to primary schools in the Brighton area.

I grew up in Brighton and the nearest primary school was at the end of the road, I would say everyone in my class lived very near the school. The next nearest primary school was approximately 10 minutes walk away.
There were, and probably still are many primary schools in Brighton.

Secondary school was definitely a bus ride though.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Bloody stupid idea , what's the point of buying these off road SUV's if you can't enjoy mounting the pavement twice a day .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here