Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Washing Machines

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Dear Mumsnet,

My Hotpoint is getting rusty and is making loud noises where it shouldn't, so I am thinking of a replacement before it goes bang.

I've had Hotpoints for years, but rather gone off them since they started to catch fire for no very good reason. However I don't want to pay stupid prices, so are there any reasonably priced alternative makes/models out there at similar price to a Hotpoint. Also where is the best place to buy them (not in Sussex as I don't live there) - Currys, Argos, Amazon, Euronics etc?

Looking at a 9kg load and 1600 rpm spin speed.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Black fridays not that far off. I paid 300 quid for my samsung one last year, from £550 with a 5 year warranty from currys. Ive no idea on revs and load etc, I got drawn in by the money off and I have a Samsung telly

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Dear Mumsnet,

My Hotpoint is getting rusty and is making loud noises where it shouldn't, so I am thinking of a replacement before it goes bang.

I've had Hotpoints for years, but rather gone off them since they started to catch fire for no very good reason. However I don't want to pay stupid prices, so are there any reasonably priced alternative makes/models out there at similar price to a Hotpoint. Also where is the best place to buy them (not in Sussex as I don't live there) - Currys, Argos, Amazon, Euronics etc?

Looking at a 9kg load and 1600 rpm spin speed.

Online via Appliance City or John Lewis Check delivery, removal of old model and warranties as well as price.
German reliability or Korean innovation LG and Samsung in this space.

Last year I bought an LG through Appliance City it was £20 to take away the old one.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
This.

Pay “silly money” for a Bosch or Miele.

Bosch are made by Indesit , our German brand AEG machine is made by Electrolux . Apparently to confirm a German brand name is actually German made you need to check that the door opens from the left hand side

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bosch are made by Indesit , our German brand AEG machine is made by Electrolux . Apparently to confirm a German brand name is actually German made you need to check that the door opens from the left hand side

German brands top independent Which? reviews, along with Samsung.

Regardless of where the Huns locate their factory.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Worth checking on installation and removal due to Coronavirus, you may find that not everyone is back providing the full options.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Bosch washing machine, Samsung fridge/freezer here - v happy with both. Swear by a Calgon look-alike...

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I went through the same thing 7 years ago and ended up with a mid range Siemens machine, it failed within 2 weeks of lockdown but I was able to fix it within a couple of hours after watching some tutorials on YouTube.

I'd recommend Siemens/Bosch as apart from a hose coming loose it has been fine.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve got a Miele washed - absolutely solid , 6 years without a problem. Consistent wash, good range of options. I make sure it gets a proper clean every 4-6 weeks and served me well so far

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Neff. Got a new one 2 years ago. It is the absolute dogs. Quiet too.

Before that we had a Miele. Absolute dogs. Didn't fit in the new kitchen so we had to sell it, 15 years old, for a bargain £50. Bloke who bought it was in tears of joy.

In Sussex make sure you use a water softening cube with every wash.

Don't stint on the washing machine, cooker or fridge. False saving, and a source of anxt, especially if you're a fretter like me.

:thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here